Electric bill cost for the leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my usage for May

The "other charge value" is my public charging valuation mostly from the trip to Eugene.
Picture removed - Photobucket sucks

DaveinOlyWA said:
Rmasu said:
In Hawaii we have some of the highest electric cost in the nation.
It actually doesn't make sense to own a leaf here even though I just put a deposit for one today!
Electricity rates here are .33 a kwh I drive 60 miles a day assuming about 4 miles per kw I figure it costs me 15 kw a day which is about 5 dollars to go 60 miles.
Gas in Hawaii regular is 4.50 a gallon if I bought a Prius that gets 50 miles a gallon I can drive 60 miles for about the same amount of money and no range issues. And a Prius is much cheaper than a leaf by about 10000 which equates to 2222 gallons and 111,111 miles! Someone correct my math if I'm wrong, with all that said the Prius can't touch the leaf in coolness and techyness no so I'm buying into it anyways. I'm leasing so we will see what the future brings.

i used to live in Hawaii so i know there is a dealer markup on every car sold there you need to be specific here because it is unlikely that a similarly equipped Prius (with NAV they are about $28-30,000 here) is $10,000 cheaper especially after a $7500 rebate on the Leaf which you can realize all of if you lease in case your tax situation will not allow you get all that

but this makes your difference a few thousand. in my case, there was no difference. my 2010 Prius (bought in 2009 which also had NO SALES TAX applied like my Leaf) had NAV, leather (no options to remove) and sunroof so it had a few more things than the Leaf was $28,900 but only that cheap because i got a $2500 discount for being part of an exclusive priority discount program. i was also first in the state to get a 2010 Prius (picked up may 17th, 2009) so the MSRP was actually $31,000+ now, if i were to itemize the leather, sunroof, etc to make the trim equal, i am guessing it would be right about what i paid.

my Leaf was $35,600 also no sales tax (the hybrid sales tax waiver expired June or Dec 2009...i forget which)

but take off the 7500 and my price was $28,100. so my "payback" time was zero.

since then? well due to a few trips out of state, the Prius has driven farther, but has cost us $1700 in gas. the Leaf?? i will have updated my signature with lifetime cost of electricity as of last weekend

Even if a Prius with more options is equal to a leaf in price the prius is still better in a milage and usage sense. At about the same cost of electricty (in Hawaii) you get a car with more options, better resale, (probably) no battery issues no range issues.
BUT... If I was only looking to save money or be super eco friendly I'd do a lot of other things in my life, which I dont. The techyness coolness and being one of the first of what I believe to be a step in the right direction is good enough for me to get one.

xTKMxCaboose said:
How much do you usually drive a day and how much has your electric bill cost just for the leaf? I want to hear what the owners have experienced.
I have posted a web page with my answer to your question.

In short, it all depends upon what a local utility charges per kWh. In my area it is about 8.7¢ per kWh. The first two months with my Leaf I used 345 kWh of electricity to drive 1,761 miles. If I had charged it from the grid, it would have cost nearly $30. However, thanks to my solar panels, I actually paid... zero, zip, zilch, nada. If I had driven our Subaru instead, it would have cost about $366 for gasoline.

Hello,
Just speculating here, my question is how does one end up with range issues in Hawaii? If you drive for 2 hours you can circumnavigate Oahu.

pjoseph said:
$0.135 per kWh [after the electricity increase in Austin]
4 miles/kWh (from dashboard)
So about 3.4 cents per mile in real-world use. Not bad. My 2002 insight had a life average of 89mpg in real-world use, and gasoline fluctuates around $3.25, so that would be 3.6 cents per mile. The Nissan EV is beating my insight, but only just barely.

If I had a choice between a used insight for $10,000 and a Leaf for $15,000, it would take 5 million miles to make-up the difference in cost. :-o Even if my insight dropped to just 50mpg, it would still take 170,000 miles to makeup the difference. (And that's not including Leaf battery replacement costs which would wipe-out any EV savings.)

The same math applies to the Prius Plug-in, where the huge cost of that option outweighs the cheaper cost of a plain-old gasoline car like my insight (or Civic HF or CruzeEco or .....).

6000miles on the ODO, was averaging 350miles per week for the first 2 months with 4mi/kWh, Lately wife is driving all city with heat blasting avg 2.3-2.7mi/kWh. And we still avg $65 month @ $0.12 per kWh (flat rate).

Not bad considering I was doing $60per week in Gas, Now we save that $120 per month.

Electricity TCO for the LEAF is really dependent on miles, your Electricity cost per kWh and how efficient you are with driving. (as you can see above, I was paying the same for the first 2 months driving further distance, while wife drives less and harder with extra consumption, same price)

Its cheaper all around, Gotta love EV'ing

We have Kentucky Utilities, and once we took delivery of our Leaf, we qualified for the "LEV" rate. Now we have time of day metering, and we were able to move the majority of our electric usage to "off peak" times, which includes nights and weekends. Due to this, our electricty bill went DOWN once we plugged in our Leaf, so the answer to the question is NOTHING. How can that be? you might ask... Well, without the Leaf, we can't get the LEV rate. With the LEV rate, we do simple things to move power useage to off peak. Examples would be, charge the Leaf after 10pm. Put a timer on the hot water heater, turn off the heat during peak (winter peak is 6am - 12 noon weekdays) Do laundry on weekends (weekends hours are all off peak), run dishwasher after 10pm (it has a 4hr built in delay) We also added some extra solar power (it is normally sunny during peak), but this is not necessary to save with the LEV rate. We figure that we need to use a 3:1 ratio of off peak to peak to break even with the normal residential service rate. We normally have a 20:1 ratio. Long story short, our electric bill went down when we added the Leaf, and we are averaging about 1200 miles a month.

Electricity costs me $0.10/kWh. I've spent $90.49 to drive 4046 miles in 7 months which works out to be 44.7 miles for every dollar of electricity I spend and an average of about $13.00 a month in electricity costs to run the car. LOVE THIS CAR!!

Charge roughly 60% of my use at home and free at work. Drive 1900 miles per month and PG&E E-9B separate meter bill is always less than $25.00 = $0.013 per mile my cost :D

drive 1k a month, 90% of it is commute. i dont venture far on many weekends, apparently.
i charge 3-4 bars at work on L1 most workdays.
i charge at home about 3 hours a day on L2.
cost is zero from the utility as i have tou solar. we dont produce all our power in the winter, but the winter low production is offset by the solar bank with the LADWP. As a result, we only pay about $5 to cover the 10% tax on the $50 of power i have to pay for from the solar bank; the utility wont let you use bank to pay the taxes.

the house usage is also in that figure.
our off peak rates are 8pm-10 am weekdays and all day on the weekends, with a rate of 8.7 cents a kwh in winter, including a 2.5-cent EV discount for the first 500 kwh a month. we never go over that 500 kwh as we have no AC.

We are a pretty low mileage (530mi/month) LEAF household with low electrical loads. While the LEAF tripled our electrical consumption (from ~3kWh/day to ~9kWh/day), the total consumption is still low enough that almost all of the LEAF kWh hours are in Tier 1 off peak for PGE schedule E9A (4-5cents/kWh). We pay about 1.5cents per mile driven. Most decently efficient ICE cars are least 8-10 times more expensive per mile with CA gas prices. Our operating cost savings, even with a very modest amount of driving is over $800 per year.

Howdy

55 miles per day.

$50/mo with $0.18195 per kwh on peak and $0.07695 per kwh off peak and no attempt to use charge timer.

Kind of sucks because they have an all you can eat plan for $40/mo.

Now I'm using the charge timer so I'm hoping my bill will look better.

Back