Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three sites are open, making 18 for the month and 368 total: Per WetEV, Alameda, CA (NW of S.R. 61/260, the Webster St. Tube); Scarborough, ME (Jct. I-95 ex. 44 & I-295). Also, Santa Ana #2, CA (Urb., I-5 ex, 104A/B, or S.R. 55 ex. 12/12A).

Although Alameda has 5 CCS / 1 CCS-CHAdeMO / 0 L2, its location well off I-880 makes it likely it will primarily be used by locals.

Scarborough is reachable from Saugus (91 miles), Northborough (128 miles) or Auburn, MA (137 miles), all along/near I-95 or I-290. One more site in say Bangor would make it possible to drive I-95 from Miami to Canada. They still have Seabrook, NH to infill.

GRA said:
Three sites are open, making 18 for the month and 368 total: Per WetEV, Alameda, CA (NW of S.R. 61/260, the Webster St. Tube); Scarborough, ME (Jct. I-95 ex. 44 & I-295). Also, Santa Ana #2, CA (Urb., I-5 ex, 104A/B, or S.R. 55 ex. 12/12A).

Well, nice to see all the EA Level 3 DC Fast Chargers going into areas that already have them.

I live in South Dakota, the 17th largest state in area (77,000 square miles) with 656 miles of Interstate between I-90 and I-29 and there are exactly zero non Tesla Level 3 DC Fast Charging stations in the entire state.

Makes it just about impossible to make it across the state in any reasonable time unless driving a Tesla.

The Dakotas are the last states that will get QCs, and should be owing to their low population and population density, the climate, the long distances and the median income (and no BEV pickups, yet). Until BEVs are better suited for them and have been adopted in large numbers everywhere else (bar Alaska, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana), I wouldn't expect that to change. I realize that doesn't help you any, but it does explain it. As with Tesla, South Dakota should at least get QCs before North Dakota, as you do have a few tourist destinations (Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Wind Cave, Deadwood/Black Hills etc.).

Per WetEV one site is open, #19 for the month and #369 total: Seabrook, NH (I-95 ex. 1, E. of U.S. 1).

This is infill, 60 miles south of Scarborough, ME, and 34 miles north of Saugus, MA.

Per WetEV one site is open, #20 for the month, and #370 total: Anderson, CA (I-5 ex. 668).

All of I-5 is finally practical, as it's 106 miles north to Yreka and 113 miles south to Dunnigan. While I would have preferred that they put this at the Walmart in Red Bluff instead (to provide access via S.R. 36 to Lassen N.P./Lake Almanor/Susanville/U.S. 395 to the east, and U.S. 101 to the west), this is better than nothing, and does at least serve N/S travel. I visited this site back at the end of July and it was almost done possibly excepting the transformer (see https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=25212&p=564116&hilit=anderson#p564116), so I assume the delay was due to PG&E being otherwise occupied during the fire season.

From the list I posted back in October, there are only two must have "Coming Soon" sites still needed to complete the national interstate network; I've bolded those that have since opened:

Here's my Top 9 (was Top 10 with Frisco) of "Coming Soon" sites which are needed to initially complete EA's primary Interstate network, listed from N-S and W -E rather than in an order of priority:

California: Anderson, Firebaugh or Harris Ranch, and "Bakersfield" (all I-5); Barstow (I-15); El Centro (I-8).

New Mexico: Lordsburg (I-10).

Florida: Gainesville (I-75).

New Hampshire: Seabrook (I-95).

Maine: Scarborough (I-95).
They still need at least three more to complete the transcontinental routes (I-10/70/80), and so far only Quartzsite, AZ (I-10) has been added to the "Coming Soon" list - Green River or Crescent Junction, Utah and Wendover, UT or W.Wendover, NV are still needed. One more is also still needed on I-8 in Arizona between Yuma and Casa Grande, probably Gila Bend.

Tom Moloughney at IEVS:
Exclusive: Electrify America Agrees To Discuss Network's Issues - Pt. 1
https://insideevs.com/news/388501/electrify-america-discusses-network-problems/

. . . earlier this month, we had a reader contact us about the difficulties he's experienced charging his Audi e-Tron to discuss how painful charging the e-Tron has been. He wished charging the e-Tron would be as easy as charging a Tesla and offered some links to support his charging woes. After we posted his story, I reached out to Electrify America for comment. They were aware of the article and explained that they would prefer if InsideEVs gave them the opportunity to fully explain what they are doing to solve their issues, as opposed to offering a quick quote or two.

I looked at this offering very favorably, because it was clear that they didn't want to hide behind a quote from their PR department. Instead, they said they were aware of issues, and they are actively working on solutions and wanted to opportunity to explain that to the public.

So, at their expense, Electrify America arranged for me to come down to their headquarters in Reston, VA, and sit down with their CEO, Giovanni Palazzo, their COO, Brendan Jones as well as meet their Director of Technology, Cliff Fietzek at their engineering lab a short distance from HQ.

They have also promised to answer any follow-up questions that I send them from our readers. So please let us know if you have any questions in the comment section below. We'll be posting what we learned in the interviews in part 2 of this article shortly. In the meantime let us know if you have any questions for Electrify America in the comment section below and we'll do our best to get answers.

Now's your chance to ask them something.

Mid America fast charger installed in Sheldon Iowa.

https://kiwaradio.com/local-news/midamerican-installs-electric-vehicle-fast-charging-station-at-sheldon-fareway-store/

2 Chademo handles!

DougWantsALeaf said:

https://kiwaradio.com/local-news/midamerican-installs-electric-vehicle-fast-charging-station-at-sheldon-fareway-store/

2 Chademo handles!

:shock:

**edit**

I take back my shock. I thought it was an EA site with 2 chademo's...

I’m not sure I understand EA’s logic. The number one sold EV in North America (Tesla model 3) is Chademo compatible. We see Tesla’s at chademos all the time regardless of the fact they have the Supercharger network. Why would you deliberately exclude or limit the biggest group of customers. I think it’s more of a political Volkswagen centric decision.

DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

2 Chademo handles!

:shock:

**edit**

I take back my shock. I thought it was an EA site with 2 chademo's...

We obviously don’t have EA in Canada. Every DCFC in BC has equal amounts of Chademo and CCS regardless of the provider. Good thing. Chademo locations in BC outnumber Supercharger locations 10 to 1. Lots of Tesla drivers seem to have the adapter in BC.

webeleafowners said:
I’m not sure I understand EA’s logic. The number one sold EV in North America (Tesla model 3) is Chademo compatible. We see Tesla’s at chademos all the time regardless of the fact they have the Supercharger network. Why would you deliberately exclude or limit the biggest group of customers. I think it’s more of a political Volkswagen centric decision.

VW used the DOJ ruling to spin it to their advantage. They are simply setting themselves up with a significant market advantage. They still have a ton of federal tax credits and now they will have discounted EA access to go along with their sales incentives. Watch for it; it will happen. Until then, most of the stations sit idle. A few days ago, I drove by the Lacey location (5 CCS, one combo, no L2) and it was only occupied by single Soul on the combo.

I swung back thru less than 10 mins later and two CCS were there along with two Chademo's. How long the two chademo's waited on the Soul I don't know. There is EVGO 8 miles north and Webasto about the same distance south. I wouldn't wait unless I had no choice but then again, I have over 200 miles of choices now. ;)

webeleafowners said:
We obviously don’t have EA in Canada. Every DCFC in BC has equal amounts of Chademo and CCS regardless of the provider. Good thing. Chademo locations in BC outnumber Supercharger locations 10 to 1. Lots of Tesla drivers seem to have the adapter in BC.

You'll have EC there on the east and west, although the Canadian government could make them install equal numbers of CCS and CHAdeMO. But you've now got Petro Canada sites covering much the same route.

Oh, people, as the OP can we limit site opening announcements here to EA only? It's not as if you can't start a charger network topic for another company or a specific region if you want one - we've got some of those already. Discussing charging options other than EA isn't a problem - as an example, "With the 350kW EVgo chargers in Baker, Ca., getting the EA site there open isn't critical". Let's try and keep the site-opening announcements themselves EA-specific.

Back