Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
webeleafowners said:
We obviously don’t have EA in Canada. Every DCFC in BC has equal amounts of Chademo and CCS regardless of the provider. Good thing. Chademo locations in BC outnumber Supercharger locations 10 to 1. Lots of Tesla drivers seem to have the adapter in BC.

You'll have EC there on the east and west, although the Canadian government could make them install equal numbers of CCS and CHAdeMO. But you've now got Petro Canada sites covering much the same route.

Oh, people, as the OP can we limit site opening announcements here to EA only? It's not as if you can't start a charger network topic for another company or a specific region if you want one - we've got some of those already. Discussing charging options other than EA isn't a problem - as an example, "We're still waiting on the EA site in Baker, CA., but as you can use the 350kW EVgo chargers there, the EA one isn't critical". Let's try and keep the site-opening announcements themselves EA-specific, as it makes it much easier to search.

I think EA or EC or whatever is teaming up with Canadian tire for locations. Lots of coming soon locations on plug share but no construction as far as I know. Plug share tool most of them down.

GRA said:
BTW, does anyone know why San Diego's boundaries are non-contiguous? I was confused when the address on Dennery RD. was shown as San Diego, as there are other cities/towns in between what I think of as "San Diego" and this site, but checking Google maps it's correct: https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...3a21fdfd15df79!8m2!3d32.715738!4d-117.1610838

This is rather common with most cities. Here in Oly, it was all about having the money to incorporate more desirable pieces of property in the county. This habit by Olympia has created a island called Lacey which was surrounded on all sides by Olympia. In recent years, Lacey gained financial clout (mostly because they are growing 2X faster than Olympia) and actually took back a huge chunk of property that Olympia left undeveloped for over a decade. Although the property in question is very large, Olympia still surrounds Lacey on 3 sides.

We are nearing the end of the year. EA had missed their June 30th deadline for Cycle I locations, promising they would be installed by December 31st. Has anyone taken stock of their progress? Have they finished Cycle I yet?

GetOffYourGas said:
We are nearing the end of the year. EA had missed their June 30th deadline for Cycle I locations, promising they would be installed by December 31st. Has anyone taken stock of their progress? Have they finished Cycle I yet?

A better question; they claim to have 40-50 Cycle 2 stations running. Are they close to that?

I’ve been following this thread since March, when I got a Kona Electric, trying to figure out why the Pismo Beach EA never opened.

Happy to report there were electricians working on it the two days this week I drove by—it looked like the heavier work was already finished. I’m optimistic the station will be up and running soon. (File that under “famous last words.”)

GetOffYourGas said:

Mostly, although they definitely don't have the two transcontinental routes complete that they said they would be the end of the year. They are two sites (Quartzsite, AZ for I-10, and Green River/Crescent Junction, UT for I-70) short, and only Quartzsite is "Coming Soon". Two more sites (W. Wendover, NV, and Barstow, CA) would essentially complete one more X-C route (I-80 from SLC to CA) and a variant (I-15 from SoCal to I-70). Other than that, Cycle 1 is essentially done. A lot of urban sites from Cycle 2 have been completed - California has 70 total sites now open, and by my guesstimate about 40 of the 60 or so left on the "Coming Soon" list are urban sites from Cycle 2. The remaining 20 or so serve regional or national travel (I-5/8/15/80, U.S. 101/395, S.R. 58/99).

There are a couple of sites left in New England that are probably Cycle 1, but the rest of the 13 are urban. In the PNW, 7 sites are "Coming soon", and they are all in urban areas - I suspect Springfield, OR is the only one that's likely to be primarily used for trips.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:
BTW, does anyone know why San Diego's boundaries are non-contiguous? I was confused when the address on Dennery RD. was shown as San Diego, as there are other cities/towns in between what I think of as "San Diego" and this site, but checking Google maps it's correct: https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...3a21fdfd15df79!8m2!3d32.715738!4d-117.1610838

This is rather common with most cities. Here in Oly, it was all about having the money to incorporate more desirable pieces of property in the county. This habit by Olympia has created a island called Lacey which was surrounded on all sides by Olympia. In recent years, Lacey gained financial clout (mostly because they are growing 2X faster than Olympia) and actually took back a huge chunk of property that Olympia left undeveloped for over a decade. Although the property in question is very large, Olympia still surrounds Lacey on 3 sides.

I was just surprised that there wasn't a corridor connecting the two areas. Usually when cities annex land there's some kind of physical as well as legal connection between the points, even if it's only a single road's width.

GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:

I was just surprised that there wasn't a corridor connecting the two areas. Usually when cities annex land there's some kind of physical as well as legal connection between the points, even if it's only a single road's width.

There likely was at one time but a bunch of locals got together and decided being "San Diegoan's" no longer suited them so they made a town.

Re Cycle 1, here's VW's original submission: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2017-04/documents/nationalzevinvestmentplan.pdf

A few things were subsequently changed, such as the decision to skip 50kW QCs (other than CHAdeMO) at urban sites and only use 150kW chargers instead. If you look at page 22 you'll see the number of sites anticipated for each interstate; naturally some of those numbers changed.

This link shows the planned national network for Cycle 1: https://images.app.goo.gl/3V2S33VUcUsKCgAn6,

and you can go to EA's website and compare that to EA's map showing "Live sites" (You need to deselect the "Coming Soon" sites):

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/lo...VkeNkCh1aWAJ2EAAYASABEgLZTPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

There's one other noticeable gap in EA's interstate network that I forgot to mention, I-40 between Albuquerque and Amarillo. Two sites are shown on EA's original map, almost certainly Tucumcari (possibly San Jon) and Santa Rosa, but neither is "Coming Soon" as yet.

I prefer San Jon over Tucumcari for its connections, but it only has a single restaurant, which oddly enough is a 24 hour all-you-can-eat Indian buffet. Tucumcari has lots more choices, including a fast food strip right off the interstate exit. As I doubt anyone who doesn't live or work in the area is likely to have any reason to spend any more time than they have to in either place, fast food probably wins out.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Some of the Mid America sites in Iowa have started appearing in Plugshare.

May I suggest you start a topic for them, so people don't have to hunt for them in a bunch of unrelated topics? The search function here is notoriously bad, especially with common terms.

Per WetEV one site is open, #23 for the month and #373 total: Burbank #2, CA (Urb., I-5 ex. 146B/148/150).

This one's well off I-5 compared to Burbank #1 (which has 9 CCS/1 CCS-ChadeMO), so it will undoubtedly see mostly local use.

WetEV said:
Also
1414 W. MAIN ST
El Centro, CA 92243

Not on EA's map yet so I'll wait a bit, but it's about time - El Centro's one of the oldest sites on the "Coming soon" list, and it appears this site (at a BoA) may have replaced the original one at Imperial Valley Mall, as that one no longer shows on EA's map.

webeleafowners said:
I’m not sure I understand EA’s logic. The number one sold EV in North America (Tesla model 3) is Chademo compatible. We see Tesla’s at chademos all the time regardless of the fact they have the Supercharger network. Why would you deliberately exclude or limit the biggest group of customers. I think it’s more of a political Volkswagen centric decision.

Despite driving a CHAdeMO car myself, and regardless what anyone may think about the technical merits, it seems clear to me that CCS is going to displace CHAdeMO in North America (at least). The only open question is whether Tesla will ever be assimilated as well. (BTW, it's a stretch to call Teslas CHAdeMO-compatible, when they need a $450 adapter for it.)

And given that this is going to happen -- the sooner, the better. Standards confusion is a barrier to EV adoption.

Back