EVSE Home Assessment Reports

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else watched the AV EVSE install video on their site, it shows the complete process including showing the EVSE open and its plastic case.

I just had my Assessment done - interesting that it wasn't an electrician however - but someone who was filling out paperwork and questions and taking pictures.... My house should be fairly easy however - I have an unused 220V outlet in my garage where my dryer used to be. They should just need to swap out the breaker for a 40A and mount the charger and hardwire it into the outlet.

We will see what the quote comes back at!

Matt

My guy, since I'm also having a solar assessment done, is supposed to be Aliso's top solar installer. However, I don't know if that also translates into him being a qualified electrician. I would hope so, but you never know! :shock:

garygid said:
There sould be some sort of automatic shutoff by the EVSE if it "experiences" too much "pull" on the e-hose cord.

If the cord is run around corners (through hanger hooks, etc.) the cord might remain live and pull out of the J1772 plug instead, causing a "hazard".

So, if the cord is supported (overhead or otherwise) it might need to be "held" in some sort of "tear-away" manner (like velcro, a weak rubber band that can break, or some other "pull-out" method).

Sorry - I'm going to 'kill' this line of 'potential hazard think'. This comes from the SAE's J1772 Jan 2010 document.

- The J1772 connector at the car is designed to break-away from the car - that's the 'weak link' for break-away.
- The J1772 connector at the car has a 'proximity sensor' - the car and the EVSE know when the connector is connected - and when it's not. - If the connector is removed from the car during charging, the EVSE must remove power to the J1772 connector within 100 milliseconds - a tenth of a second.
- If the vehicle is connected to the EVSE and actively charging, and if the vehicle rolls away, and if the J1772 connector doesn't cleanly pull from the car, and if the cable separates, both the pilot signal and proximity signal will drop out - and the severed 220 cable dangling in the garage should also go dead within 100 ms.

I hope that's useful for long-cord planners. ;)

mathewbeall said:
I just had my Assessment done - interesting that it wasn't an electrician however - but someone who was filling out paperwork and questions and taking pictures.... My house should be fairly easy however - I have an unused 220V outlet in my garage where my dryer used to be. They should just need to swap out the breaker for a 40A and mount the charger and hardwire it into the outlet.
That worries me - both that it wasn't an electrician and that you think you can just swap out a breaker. Your 30 amp circuit could well have 10 gauge wire from the panel to the garage. You should never use a 40 amp breaker on 10 gauge wire. It is both illegal and unsafe. An electrician would know that.

planet4ever said:
That worries me - both that it wasn't an electrician and that you think you can just swap out a breaker. Your 30 amp circuit could well have 10 gauge wire from the panel to the garage. You should never use a 40 amp breaker on 10 gauge wire. It is both illegal and unsafe. An electrician would know that.
That's why cities have inspectors. But it could quickly turn into a head-ache if the electrician gets out there and finds out that your wiring is under-sized for 40A and your cost estimate quadruples due to the need to run a new set of wires...

DeaneG said:
Has anyone received a hard estimate yet? Time for a poll to capture and summarize the results?

Or post it to the appropriate thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=668

Andy,
I thought that the J1772 connector "latched" into the car and could not be removed until it was unlatched. Thanks for giving us the "real" information.

Looking at the AVinc.com "installation" video, it does appear that the e-fuel cord is wired directly into the "guts" of their EVSE.

Looks like NEC requires you to use 90C NM cable at the 60C ampacity level - so you'd need 8 gauge for a 32-amp continuous load circuit protected by a 40 amp breaker.

Hi Gary,

Yes - the connector has a small latch on top. If the SAE approves their L3 add-on, the connector will likely have another 'latch' on the bottom. J1772 makes it clear that the latches are only to "prevent inadvertent or accidental decoupling." In addition, automakers can add a 'latch lock' function designed to "reduce the likelihood of tampering or unauthorized removal." I expect these relatively light plastic latches must still be able to break-away in an emergency.

AeroVironment lists 'Breakaway safety cable' as an EVSE feature, but I haven't yet found a standard, specification, or regulation that defines how and/or where the EVSE cable should break away. http://evsolutions.avinc.com/uploads/products/2_AV_EVSE-RS_B2B_061110_retail_charging.pdf (And no - I'm not going to sacrifice my first EVSE cable to test the breakaway function. :twisted: )

Yes - I've seen the latest video AV has, as well as the install video on Nissan's site. The AV video doesn't show a J1772 EVSE but the Nissan video does. Both appear to have the charge cable solidly connected to the EVSE case (as do the devices from Clipper Creek). I recall seeing a video that showed a L2 J1772 device with a connector on the EVSE end but cannot find it.

DeaneG said:
Has anyone received a hard estimate yet? Time for a poll to capture and summarize the results?

Okay, it has now been a week since my assessment and I haven't heard a peep. Not encouraging, since mine was on the first day of the assessment schedule. Mine might have been complicated by the question of how my utility handles and charges for TOU meters, and there was the July 4 holiday weekend in there, but I would have expected something by now. I'll probably call the electrician this afternoon. I'm a bit impatient about this.

Boomer23 said:
Okay, it has now been a week since my assessment and I haven't heard a peep. Not encouraging, since mine was on the first day of the assessment schedule. Mine might have been complicated by the question of how my utility handles and charges for TOU meters, and there was the July 4 holiday weekend in there, but I would have expected something by now. I'll probably call the electrician this afternoon. I'm a bit impatient about this.

Aliso Electric?

Had my evaluation today. The electrician said that the quote would be coming from Nissan and that it would take a while. He also mentioned that many of his evals didn't seem to be within Nissan's typical customer base - he mentioned a 7000 sq ft home with 3 Mercedes and 2 BMWs. One of the Mercs would be sold to make room for the Leaf. Another customer had a Lamborghini in the garage.

Also, AV hasn't shipped product yet to the installer; AV hopes to ship by October.

AV's original documentation to the installer called out a 30 amp circuit; this was changed to 40A some time later.

DeaneG said:
He also mentioned that many of his evals didn't seem to be within Nissan's typical customer base - he mentioned a 7000 sq ft home with 3 Mercedes and 2 BMWs. One of the Mercs would be sold to make room for the Leaf. Another customer had a Lamborghini in the garage.

Nissan would have written you off as a Tesla customer :lol:

ps : Though I guess quite a few Roadster users will buy Leaf as a daily commuter.

evnow said:
...Though I guess quite a few Roadster users will buy Leaf as a daily commuter.
I think so... one thing I've learned is that an extreme car may not be the best choice as a daily driver, particularly in the dark and damp of winter.

Back