EVSE Home Assessment Reports

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bicster said:
Although the EVSE may not be required to buy a Leaf, we don't know whether it will affect priority reservation status. My feeling is that it will.

It may but someone at Nissan told me it would not.

evnow said:
mwalsh said:
if you are in a HOA this form has to be submitted, no two ways about it ...

No - it looks conditional.

Can you tell me what part(s) make you think that? It would be nice to be able to tear this up, and I already have a call into AV to try and get a better take on it. But I would definitely welcome input from those interpreting it differently!

mwalsh said:
Can you tell me what part(s) make you think that? It would be nice to be able to tear this up, and I already have a call into AV to try and get a better take on it. But I would definitely welcome input from those interpreting it differently!

Start with the beginning ...

If the real property on which the Home Charging Dock is proposed to be installed is subject to HOA restrictions as described in Section 1, this HOA Installation Approval Form ...

So, whats in Section 1 ?

To ensure that the Installation goes smoothly, if your residence is subject to, or modification of your residence or any of its Common Areas requires the participation and/or approval of, any applicable:

- Home Owners’ Association;

So, if your HOA rules don't require you to get an approval for any work done inside the house, you don't have to get an approval. So, the first step would be to make sure you don't need the approval from HOA.

I'd say, even if you do, talk to the person responsible for such approvals and tell them how great the EV is for country/environment/etc/etc ... and you should be fine. Right ?

evnow said:
To ensure that the Installation goes smoothly, if your residence is subject to, or modification of your residence or any of its Common Areas requires the participation and/or approval of, any applicable:

So, if your HOA rules don't require you to get an approval for any work done inside the house, you don't have to get an approval. So, the first step would be to make sure you don't need the approval from HOA.

I'd say, even if you do, talk to the person responsible for such approvals and tell them how great the EV is for country/environment/etc/etc ... and you should be fine. Right ?

I'm noting the absence of reference to the word "inside" in the paragraph. Outside modifications of any kind, with the possible exception of dish antennas (from memory, without finding my copy of the CC&Rs), require HOA approval.

Our HOA Architectural Committee, the stick up their "you know wheres" is a shared one, passed amongst them during meetings like a bong at a hippie love-in. :(

mwalsh said:
I'm noting the absence of reference to the word "inside" in the paragraph. Outside modifications of any kind, with the possible exception of dish antennas (from memory, without finding my copy of the CC&Rs), require HOA approval.

Yes, but if your HOA rules say you don't need approval for changes inside your house - I'd quote that to AV and say you don't need an approval.

evnow said:
Yes, but if your HOA rules say you don't need approval for changes inside your house - I'd quote that to AV and say you don't need an approval.

Well, hopefully clarity will follow further contact from AV (if they ever do call me back. Anyone wanna make book?) and rejoicing will be heard throughout the land. Or at least directly outside my house!

Juiced said:
Quote post at:
http://www.leafowner.com/

second item down

$1200 + for installation, so if conduit is run and complete with a breaker it should take them no more than 1.5 hours. Sould be interesting to hear an explanation of a fixed bid:)

Juiced said:
Quote post at:
http://www.leafowner.com/

second item down

So, EVSE is $770 shipped. Rest is installation, permit & tax. All nicely coming around $2,200.

4781229224_4fb17bc90f_z.jpg

evnow said:

OK, I heard back from AV. If you are in a HOA, them signing off on that document is a must. Period. Even when there are no modifications requiring HOA approval, like the one installation option I have were we come into the garage directly from the back of the service panel, with no external wall modifications at all.

I even said that I would rather sign a waiver, indemnifying AV from any liability over installing the EVSE, rather than deal with the HOA, but he said that they don't have that as an option. However, he said that he would speak to someone from their legal department and get back to me about the possibility of doing so at some future date, especially if the HOA did actually reject my request.

I also asked about buying the EVSE "over the counter" as a possibility, if rejected, and having it installed by my own electrician. He said that was not possible due to their "agreement with Nissan", and while it might be a possibility at some future date, it wouldn't be within the foreseeable future. So, for those of you looking just to buy a unit from AV, so you can do your own installations, I'd say that was a pretty definite "no" for you. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

mwalsh said:
OK, I heard back from AV. If you are in a HOA, them signing off on that document is a must. Period. Even when there are no modifications requiring HOA approval, like the one installation option I have were we come into the garage directly from the back of the service panel, with no external wall modifications at all.
::grumble:: Guess I'll get that started now so I can get that out of the way. Boy that annoys me. But I guess it's my own fault for buying a house that is located in an HOA.

Just got my assessment today. I was told they will start doing the installs the beginning of October. It's gonna be a long 3 months.

Yuk.

I think I'd rather double-check my HOA rules to confirm that they aren't concerned about anything installed inside my house, then simply not report to AV that an HOA is in the picture.

I'm involved with three different HOAs down here and none of them restrict internal changes. If they can't see it from outside, they aren't involved and don't care.

Good Luck!

AndyH said:
Yuk.

I think I'd rather double-check my HOA rules to confirm that they aren't concerned about anything installed inside my house, then simply not report to AV that an HOA is in the picture.

Yeah, in my case it was a bit difficult to hide it from the assessor, between the gate into the community and a guy from the HOA coming up to us, mid-assessment, to ask "What you doing?" :?

mwalsh said:
Yeah, in my case it was a bit difficult to hide it from the assessor, between the gate into the community and a guy from the HOA coming up to us, mid-assessment, to ask "What you doing?" :?

What ? Do you have full time HOA staff ?

mwalsh said:
I also asked about buying the EVSE "over the counter" as a possibility, if rejected, and having it installed by my own electrician. He said that was not possible due to their "agreement with Nissan", and while it might be a possibility at some future date, it wouldn't be within the foreseeable future.

If AV has any production limits, I can see why they will not sell directly. They may be contracted by Nissan to supply X number of EVSEs in the coming year.

evnow said:
If AV has any production limits, I can see why they will not sell directly. They may be contracted by Nissan to supply X number of EVSEs in the coming year.

I had a chat with a gent from Clipper Creek - their devices aren't thru UL yet - they should be on the streets in September. The J1772 spec went final in January. The J1772 committee reported on 22 Jul that they were finalizing their EVSE testing procedures. I don't know if function testing is required for the UL signoff. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=640

Chances are good that the latest EVSE won't be available to sell until later this year, and the initial production might be devoted to vehicle sales and programs like ChargePoint America and EVAmerica. This is just my guess, but it might be a while before we can buy EVSE over the counter. :(

Back