EVSE Installation, Info and Cost Comparison Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gasmiser1 said:
However, the title on the page is "Home Charging Dock and Installation Quote." Seems like maybe the quote is incomplete?

I just called AV and indeed they said the Dock's price is missing and they will adjust it :(

jason98 said:
gasmiser1 said:
However, the title on the page is "Home Charging Dock and Installation Quote." Seems like maybe the quote is incomplete?

I just called AV and indeed they said the Dock's price is missing and they will adjust it :(
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why those sneaky AV cheaters! I thought it was too good to be true. That "over-site" will add about $500-700 to our prices. :evil:

I just checked and it seems mine has been revised down about $250 to $2121. $1040 for labor is still too high for the hour or so of work the sub will be doing. I'm making a call to Leviton tomorrow.

Consider calling the
www.ev-chargeamerica.com
people about their in-stock, on-sale ($649) L2 32A EVSE (40-amp breaker, 240v), ... their "EV2104" product.

I have emailed, but maybe they are on vacation?
I will call also.

Just got my quote from AV based on a visit an electrician made on 8/24/2010. Details:

product/service description quantity unit price line total

custom installation * 1 1,558.49 1,558.49

charging dock, wall mount 25' cable * 1 721.12 721.12

installation permit and processing 1 146.00 146.00

shipping and delivery 1 49.95 49.95

sales tax * US$66.97

total US$2,542.53
your quote details
2) INSTALL J-BOX ON GARAGE WALL THEN RUN FLEX TO EVSE 3) WILL RUN ROMEX FROM PANEL TO J-BOX GARAGE LOCATION APPROX 30' Supply and install circuit breaker, wiring, conduit, and hardware Mount and terminate the charging dock verify charging dock operation with the service tool. Perform customer training.
expires on 12/31/2010

I'll go on record as the second person who thinks their quote is only high as opposed to totally outrageous. It is about 60 feet from my panel to the EVSE. The wires will be run in conduit down from the panel (where two double breakers will need to be installed as the panel is full) on an outside wall where it will then enter the crawl space. In the crawl space it will be Romex to the garage. On entry to the garage it transitions in a J-box to flex cable which runs to the charger.

I'll wait to see what the other EVSE's cost before deciding what to do.

garygid said:
Consider calling the
http://www.ev-chargeamerica.com
people about their in-stock, on-sale ($649) L2 32A EVSE (40-amp breaker, 240v), ... their "EV2104" product.

I will call also.

Price is about right. Looks like a nice neat package. I'm not sure I want a hard wire set-up. We'll be moving in the next 2-3 years, so the Leviton dryer plug-in unit looks like a match for us. Fortunately, I have two L2 free charger docks at work to use until I decide.

gasmiser1 said:
jason98 said:
gasmiser1 said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why those sneaky AV cheaters! I thought it was too good to be true. That "over-site" will add about $500-700 to our prices. :evil:
At least my revised (but still way too high) quote does include the dock itself.

Juiced said:
An article in todays LA Times may explain why AeroViroment has been so difficult for many of us to deal with. Turns out that AeroVironment is a huge military contractor known for building drone aircraft that seems to be on a steep learning curve in dealing with civilian consumers.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-aerovironment-earns-20100909,0,975150.story

Being a Military Contractor, I'm surprised they don't charge 100k for the installation...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/29/AR2009102904437.html

gasmiser1 said:
garygid said:
Consider calling the
http://www.ev-chargeamerica.com

I will call also.

Price is about right. Looks like a nice neat package. I'm not sure I want a hard wire set-up. We'll be moving in the next 2-3 years, so the Leviton dryer plug-in unit looks like a match for us. Fortunately, I have two L2 free charger docks at work to use until I decide.

FYI, The EV2104 IS a plug in unit, the same as the Leviton...

Hi all,

My understanding is that the Leaf has a built-in 240V charger for level 2 charge in approx 8 hours.

Sorry if my question has been adressed but I couldn't find the answer to this :

What does the "dock" actually do ?

If these "chargers" basically just bring the 240V from the wall to the front of the car, $700+ is simply awefully expensive for doing this (not mentionning the installation costs).

Am I missing something here or could a cable with the proper connector on the car's side do exactly the same thing ???

Thanks!

The "Dock" has a few functions such as not applying power until properconnection is verified, GFI protection, some have power use monitoring, some are supposed to integrate with the electric meter for special billing, some may have timers to charge only after hours (although I think this is controlled mostly by the car), may display or send message about charging status, or inadvertant disconnect, or other fault information. Maybe more stuff. Many are built to handle an upgraded 6.6Kw charger (32a) rather than the existing 3.3Kw (16a) Leaf charger.

I agree mostly the features are unneeded. I will be looking for a low price on the simple looking 16a home unit from Leviton as soon as it is available. I speculate in a year the price will be half and I may wait and see if level 1 will get me through for the first year.

Basically you got it correct.

However, the "dock" has some extra safety features that are not in a simple extension cord:

A. The car-end does NOT get "hot" power until AFTER it is plugged into the car, and the car "asks" for the power to be turned ON. So, handling the "filler" e-nozzle end is safer in the rain, ... and safer for toddlers. :)

B. Cars whose batteries need ventilation while charging (not the LEAF) are treated specially, and will not get power if ventilation is not available.

C. The EVSE "tells" the car the maximum current that the car should attempt to draw, because the EVSE is "setup" knowing the capacity of the circuit it is connected to, which the car would not know, and the owner is too "stupid" to read a "sticker" on the e-hose and "set" the car. Also, this provides the feature where a "smart" EVSE could reduce the charge rate (by telling the car that "less" is available) to reduce peak-load.

suresnoi said:
Am I missing something here or could a cable with the proper connector on the car's side do exactly the same thing ???
To answer that part of the question specifically: No.
The charger in the car will not attempt to pull any power from the cable until it has gotten the proper signaling from the electronics built into both the dock and the 120v cable supplied with the car.

But I think we all agree that the initial prices we are seeing are outlandishly high.

gasmiser1 said:
jason98 said:
gasmiser1 said:

I just got e-mail from AV about quote adjustment:

Dear Customer,
AeroVironment completed a review of your site assessment results and concluded an adjustment to your original quote was necessary. We believe you will find this latest version of the quote to be more favorable to you and hope it meets your approval.

Then I went to the dashboard and found that the quote is still missing the dock unit! Although the header specifically states that this is for both dock and installation:
quote.png

Now I wonder if they are legally bound to it and should I be able to defend my "consumer rights" when I go ahead with the order for the advertised price.

Most of us have the same or similar installation labor quote- mine was $1200. We should all write a letter telling AV and Nissan that AV is PRICE GOUGING! I had a licensed electrician from the yellow pages come out and he said he would charge $700 for the same install- $500 LESS than AV's contracted electrician! Lets all write a letter!? Just a thought!

JPC2822 said:
Most of us have the same or similar installation labor quote- mine was $1200. We should all write a letter telling AV and Nissan that AV is PRICE GOUGING! I had a licensed electrician from the yellow pages come out and he said he would charge $700 for the same install- $500 LESS than AV's contracted electrician! Lets all write a letter!? Just a thought!
That is about standard mark up on a small job by a general contractor.

Back