Ex Leaf-owner club (Why we gave up on Nissan Leaf)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenleaf

So, who has turned in or sold their LEAF (and did not get another LEAF as replacement)? What is the replacement car?

I will start with mine. I sold my 2011 LEAF SL/QC in 2/2014 and bought the 2014 Volt.

The LEAF was bought on a pre-order, amidst much excitement and anticipation. Trentr and myself started a buyers' list here

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=940" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so that we could negotiate a better price. At that time, many dealers wanted MSRP but we managed to get 5% off. During those days, everyone was checking their "dashboard" to see when they can place the order.

I sold the LEAF because I was disappointed with the range of the car and the battery degradation. At that time, Nissan had us believed that, in general, we can get 100 miles with the LEAF but the reality is that in most driving conditions (that include highway), the range is less, significantly so in winter or if you only charge to the 80% Nissan recommends. As for the battery degradation, Nissan has gone on the record to say that "the pack has a 70 to 80% capacity after 10 years" [1]. We now have many examples of people losing 2 battery capacity bars (~20% loss) even before the car is 3 years old.

I bought the Volt because both of the above issues are somewhat addressed. Most Volt drivers would tell you that the 38-mile range advertised is in fact quite conservative. To manage the degradation, the Volt has an active battery thermal management system and it uses a shallower maximum depth of discharge cycles. The Volt uses only about 10.8 kWh out of the 16.5 kWh battery capacity compared to the LEAF's ~21 kWh out of 24 kWh. Deeper discharge cycles reduce battery longevity.

This POST by pclifton summarizes many of the reasons why people have turned in or sold their LEAFs.

Reference
[1] Wired magazine: http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/01/nissan-leaf-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will join the club. I agree LEAF was generally a good vehicle but just kept coming up short.

Toyota RAV4-EV seems to be everything the LEAF promised and more. A few quirks but where it counts most... range is excellent.
Time will tell on the battery longevity but so far reports seem to be far better than LEAF.

greenleaf said:
To manage the degradation, the Volt has an active battery thermal management system and it uses less shallow depth of discharge cycles.
Actually, the maximal depth of discharge (maximum allowed charge - minimum allowed charge) is shallower on the Volt, which is a good thing. With the Leaf you can keep the depth of discharge shallow if you have the right driving pattern (no distances over say 40 miles), optimal driving technique and charge appropriately, but it takes significant effort on the part of the owner.

Stoaty said:
greenleaf said:
To manage the degradation, the Volt has an active battery thermal management system and it uses less shallow depth of discharge cycles.
Actually, the maximal depth of discharge (maximum allowed charge - minimum allowed charge) is shallower on the Volt, which is a good thing. With the Leaf you can keep the depth of discharge shallow if you have the right driving pattern (no distances over say 40 miles), optimal driving technique and charge appropriately, but it takes significant effort on the part of the owner.
Yes, I meant shallower maximum discharge cycles on the Volt. My phrasing was not good and I re-wrote it.

I'm driving my wife's ICE car now, my LEAF with 2CB lost could not support my 60 miles commute anymore.

smkettner said:
I will join the club. I agree LEAF was generally a good vehicle but just kept coming up short.

Toyota RAV4-EV seems to be everything the LEAF promised and more. A few quirks but where it counts most... range is excellent.
Time will tell on the battery longevity but so far reports seem to be far better than LEAF.
Time will also tell on its reliability. The signs for the Rav4 EV's gateway ECU, motor/gearbox (at least in terms of drivetrain noise) and heater aren't good. For the motor/drivetrain, the Model S seems afflicted by the same problem along w/some cases of outright failure.

And, numerous folks w/Model S have gotten their entire HV battery packs replaced (and a few w/the Rav4 EV). This was almost unheard of w/the Leaf, despite a much larger population of Leafs.

I'm an ex-LEAF x2 owner.

Current Rav4 EV x2 owner. Yes, the Rav4 EV is a "not fully durability tested" CARB compliance effort that will stop sales this year (for the hydrogen future that will always be "just around the corner").

Other than lots of break downs, it's been a great car that greatly exceeds the LEAF in every measure except price.

I would probably buy the 150 mile range LEAF, if it really has a 48kWh battery option (41.8 usable, just like the Rav4 EV).

I brought home half a Tesla in the form of a 2013 Toyota RAV4 EV at the end of October 2013:
http://crimdom.net/2013/10/brought-home-a-tesla/

Like other RAV4 EV owners, I'm thrilled with it despite Toyota's lack of enthusiasm. Coming from the 2011 LEAF, I love the 125-ish miles of range at highway speed and the 10kW charging capability – and it's even more fun to drive than the LEAF was. Happily no problems so far, five months later. I am looking forward to the future gen III Tesla as the Model S and X are just way too big for my tastes. Or maybe somebody else will come up with a more reasonable-sized, all wheel drive, great-performing, sporty-yet-practical, 200+ mile range all electric hatchback first. Nissan? Audi? (Loved my old A3... how about a pure electric?) Will probably be Tesla first, though.

I still have my LEAF and letting my girlfriend use it for now but I do intend to sell it off. Having used both, she wants to get her own RAV4 EV now.

Toyota does seem to have a knack for building amazing vehicles, and then trying to discourage everyone from buying one. We now lease a Prius PHEV as well as my leaf, and once you get over thinking of the PIP as some kind of semi-EV, it's just an amazing hybrid. Who would have thought, a decade ago, that a full-sized car could get 100MPG?

cwerdna said:
smkettner said:

Time will also tell on its reliability. The signs for the Rav4 EV's gateway ECU, motor/gearbox (at least in terms of drivetrain noise) and heater aren't good. For the motor/drivetrain, the Model S seems afflicted by the same problem along w/some cases of outright failure.

And, numerous folks w/Model S have gotten their entire HV battery packs replaced (and a few w/the Rav4 EV). This was almost unheard of w/the Leaf, despite a much larger population of Leafs.

While Nissan has certainly made mistakes with the Leaf, both in design (no TMS) and in customer relations (initial denial about premature degradation, still cannot get a replacement battery except under warranty), I do have to applaud them for bringing EVs to the mass market.

Even if the lease prices were exactly the same, I would not be willing to trade my 2012 Leaf's rock-solid reliability over something with greater range but poor reliability. And I say that as the owner of an Audi, hardly CR's most reliable brand of cars.

Whether I join the ex-Leafer list will depend on what's available around January 2016 and at what cost.

LeftieBiker said:
Toyota does seem to have a knack for building amazing vehicles

When it wants to. Lately, Toyota has been more famous for building cars that are ridiculously boring to drive (Camry), mediocre (Yaris), and/or outdated (2014 Corolla, rolling on the same platform since 2006), the last two of which are still offered with a four speed automatic when almost all of their competition has moved up to more gear ratios.

Toyota of today is a lot like Sony of today...living off a glorious reputation that it rightly earned, but isn't rightly supporting with most of its current products.

I sold my 2011 LEAF back to Nissan February 2013 and bought a Volt. Why did I sell the LEAF back to Nissan? I live in AZ. Enough said.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Tony
I am also going for a 48 kw version next year as my lease is up. Any credible evidence that will happen?
Although this is unconfirmed, there are increasing signs that Nissan will bring a LEAF with significantly longer range onto the market. While we can only speculate about the exact timing, it looks like it might happen within a year. One of the primary reason given by RAV4 buyers is longer range followed by greater utility. A LEAF with a larger battery pack could go a long way to help Nissan hold onto their EV market share, which is said to be in the vicinity of 50%.

Back