Fast charger port wear

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

September

Recently I arrived for my portion of DC and I noticed that charger was broken. I contacted provider in Ireland and today they arrived to fix it and they told me it was because LEAF that dealership uses as demo has a broken port and connector fell off causing charger to hangup. They tried with some newer LEAF they had in stock and it worked perfectly, in meantime I arrived there to test it with my LEAF. It seems that CHAdeMO does not perfectly fit my car any more and can be removed without pressing any buttons on connector, basically it does not lock up. I do not see any signs of wear on my socket and neither I do not see any signs of wear on CHAdeMO connector on this charger. Did you experienced it earlier? If you choose to try to remove connector without pressing any buttons make sure that you are NOT charging!

If the Chademo plug does not "click" into the car's QC port,
then you probably have the handle down too low when you
are trying to push it in. Raising the handle a bit to get the
plug properly aligned with the QC socket usually lets the plug
slide in easily instead of jamming, and then the plug gets
fully inserted properly.

Yes, with the heavy charging cable hanging on the plug,
it can take some practice. I have seen experienced users
struggle with the newer non-lever plug, be unable to get
the plug locked in, and when I aligned the plug with the
socket, it went in easily.

Do not attempt to start charging unless the plug is locked
into the QC socket.

If you do not have sufficient experience to get the plug seated
and properly latched in place, PLEASE ask for help.

The car you save might be your own.
The QC Station you save might "save" many cars.

had 3 different charging ports have the "click" issue and no amount of pushing, reinserting, etc. would fix it. you can still charge i found out (lucky i saw the FB post about someone who "HAD" to charge and kept trying until she got it to work) but the connection just has to be very flush to the car. One thing about AV, both the Centrailia and Tumwater stations were fixed very quickly so a minor thing I am guessing. not sure how long it took to fix the Blink in Seattle but from what i understand, it is usable now

On the Yazaki gen 1/2 plugs, you need to insure that the connector housing is fully retracted into the handle shell in order to properly insert the plug. This means the bottom release lever should be fully pushed down away from the housing. There is a tang that latches the housing which prevents insertion/removal anytime the connector housing is extended. If you can remove the plug from your socket even when the handle is fully pulled in (up), then your socket is cracked, or the tang is broken on the plug.

The side release lever (gen 1) or the top button is what allows either insertion or retraction to take place (bottom lever movement), and it is locked by a solenoid when in use (red light illuminated). Do not attempt to do anything as long as the red light is illuminated! The only possibility is to break something, and it's dangerous as well. I've seen the Blink QC's enter into one of their many "brain dead" states with the connector still latched, thus preventing removal. This is a call to blink unless the emergency stop will release it. If power can be cut to the QC, it will release.

The Yazaki plug is not the best design, it's clunky and non-intuitive, but once you learn how it works it's relatively trouble free as long as someone else doesn't break it. The Blink QC only compounds the problem with it's unreliability.

-Phil

Saw someone stuck at a Blink DC QC with the socket in their car locked with the red light on.
They pushed the "Charge stop" item on the touch screen but no response.

So, they pushed the emergency power down button.
(Big red mechanical button off to the side of the charging station, with a key required to reset it.)
*but* the red light stayed on and the handled could not be removed.
The touch screen showed a message saying that emergency stop had been activated so the button was clearly hooked up.
They called Blink for service and waited many hours for someone to come out and reset things so that their car could finally be released.

Anyways, it may be possible for the equipment to get in a "bad state" and the plug is locked to your car with no way for the customer/user to unlock it. Seems like a design problem.
I would have thought that the emergency power off would unlock the plug, but apparently it doesn't always do that...

Perhaps one needs to carry an insulated hack saw, just
to free a captured car from a defective QC machine?

I even had to deal with a car that was "captured" by
a "stuck" J1772 plug and cable. In that case, even cutting
the cable would not have allowed the car to be driven away.

We had to get the J1772 plug out of the car's socket so
that the car's Proximity detection would allow the car
to be driven.

Are these the circumstances that, in design, are not delt
with because somebody decides "that will never happen"?

To clarify, it does click on insertion and behaves as usual but it still can be removed without pressing button. It is either connector broken or something with my car, I was not able to see damage on either.

garygid said:
Perhaps one needs to carry an insulated hack saw, just
to free a captured car from a defective QC machine?

I even had to deal with a car that was "captured" by
a "stuck" J1772 plug and cable. In that case, even cutting
the cable would not have allowed the car to be driven away.

We had to get the J1772 plug out of the car's socket so
that the car's Proximity detection would allow the car
to be driven.

Are these the circumstances that, in design, are not delt
with because somebody decides "that will never happen"?

Here's my charge port on the Rav4 this morning. Check out upper left hand pin. It tries to weld itself to my charge nozzle sockets.

96079790-FE59-4239-835F-06E13409A81D-1515-000000F29EEB383F.jpg

E27F6147-F98B-4427-BD6B-EB925776ADD2-1515-000000F2A3BC0FB7.jpg

Wow..on the new car! Is it a defect in the car or charger? Did it cause any burning smells..smoking...or charging problems yet?
Did you call the dealership to complain?

Back