Fast Low Cost Charging - All EVSE Questions Answered!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After spending almost 2 hours reading through these EVSE threads, I think I've figured things out.

I'm hoping someone will review my info and tell me if I'm on the right track.

Here's my plan...

1. Purchase a new upgraded unit from ingineer.

2. When my car arrives in a few weeks, send the included unit to ingineer for the upgrade.

3. Contact electrician to have 240V dryer outlet installed

4. Purchase two L6-20 adapters so I can charge on my dryer outlet at home, and at other locations while on the road.

Finally....

Once I have both devices upgraded, use one as my main charger at home, and keep the other in the car for mobile use.

Am I on track here?

Thanks!

iwilsmar said:
After spending almost 2 hours reading through these EVSE threads, I think I've figured things out.

I'm hoping someone will review my info and tell me if I'm on the right track.

Here's my plan...

1. Purchase a new upgraded unit from ingineer.

2. When my car arrives in a few weeks, send the included unit to ingineer for the upgrade.

3. Contact electrician to have 240V dryer outlet installed

4. Purchase two L6-20 adapters so I can charge on my dryer outlet at home, and at other locations while on the road.

Finally....

Once I have both devices upgraded, use one as my main charger at home, and keep the other in the car for mobile use.

Am I on track here?

Thanks!

You don't need an adapter just install an L6-20 outlet, they cost about $8.00. You have the rest correct but you can get your electrical done now and I suggest wiring for a 40A circuit if possible.

OK, I got you...

Install the L6-20 at home, then purchase an adapter for the mobile unit so I can use it on the road.

Thanks for the reply!

iwilsmar said:
... purchase an adapter for the mobile unit so I can use it on the road.
You may want more than just 1 adapter for use on the road if you truly want to cover all options:

Based on the pic below (I copied it from another post by GeekEV, see this link), you'll want to have at least the NEMA 14-30/50/60 that's popular at RV parks and is the new dryer outlet type. Then you'll want a NEMA 10-30/50 adapter for the old dryer outlet style. Then you may want the NEMA 6-30/50 which is commonly found for industrial application. The Blink charger uses this plug type.

You may also want to research a Quick220 type box if you're interested in tapping 2 out-of-phase GFCI-free 120V sources to get 240V combined power.

5584322230_afd854fa77_o.gif

Phil,

Do you know of an American source for one of these....

dop_th_09.jpg

http://ev.nissan.co.jp/LEAF/OPTION/dop.html

It would be awesome to have this for those that purchase the unit as a permanent home solution.

:idea: Sorry if this has been addressed before... I am new to the boards and about to buy an orphaned Leaf from a dealership in Houston.

I am curious in regards to this upgrade and how it will impact recharging. Is there a way to set this device, the car, or my android to make sure that the car is only charged to 80% if I plug-in overnight? OR is this a more... DIY approach to charging where I need to set an alarm to wake myself up nightly to stop the charge at 80%?

There is no way I would pay $2500 for AV or EVGO to install something on my exterior wall. :roll:

Thank you in advance for helping me as I am new to both this DIY charging method and the car in general.

:shock:

Curious said:
I am curious in regards to this upgrade and how it will impact recharging. Is there a way to set this device, the car, or my android to make sure that the car is only charged to 80% if I plug-in overnight?
Yes. The 80% limit is set on the charging timer in the car. It isn't related to what charging dock you use.

palmermd said:
Phil,

Do you know of an American source for one of these....

dop_th_09.jpg

http://ev.nissan.co.jp/LEAF/OPTION/dop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would be awesome to have this for those that purchase the unit as a permanent home solution.

I ran that page through googles translator:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fev.nissan.co.jp%2FLEAF%2FOPTION%2Fdop.html&sl=ja&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that "holder" is 15,800 Yen or 205.59 USD, it's a little pricey, and thats before importing it.

Curious said:
There is no way I would pay $2500 for AV or EVGO to install something on my exterior wall. :roll:
Another option is to cash&carry the AV unit for around 1100 or get the SPX unit and get a local electrician to intstall it.

I'm trying to get these numbers right.

3.84 kW (240v x 16a = 3840 watts), a 16-amp L1/L2 EVSE ver2 on 240V
3.30 kW (220v x 15a = 3300 watts) "nominal" EVSE description
2.88 kW (240v x 12a = 2880 watts) L1/L2 EVSE ver1 on 240V
1.92 kW (120v x 16a = 1920 watts) L1/L2 EVSE ver2 on 120V
1.44 kW (120v x 12a = 1440 watts) standard L1 EVSE or L1/L2 EVSE ver1 on 120V

So if I get the V1 mod my EVSE will do

1.44 kW (120v x 12a = 1440 watts) and
2.88 kW (240v x 12a = 2880 watts)

depending on how it plugs in and the V2 mod is

1.92 kW (120v x 16a = 1920 watts) and
3.84 kW (240v x 16a = 3840 watts)

let me know if you see a problem with those descriptions, oh and it might help if I knew the brand names to toss in for the standard non modified L1 and L2 EVSEs.

dhanson865 said:
I'm trying to get these numbers right.

3.84 kW (240v x 16a = 3840 watts), a 16-amp L1/L2 EVSE ver2 on 240V
3.30 kW (220v x 15a = 3300 watts) "nominal" EVSE description
2.88 kW (240v x 12a = 2880 watts) L1/L2 EVSE ver1 on 240V
1.92 kW (120v x 16a = 1920 watts) L1/L2 EVSE ver2 on 120V
1.44 kW (120v x 12a = 1440 watts) standard L1 EVSE or L1/L2 EVSE ver1 on 120V

So if I get the V1 mod my EVSE will do

1.44 kW (120v x 12a = 1440 watts) and
2.88 kW (240v x 12a = 2880 watts)

depending on how it plugs in and the V2 mod is

1.92 kW (120v x 16a = 1920 watts) and
3.84 kW (240v x 16a = 3840 watts)

let me know if you see a problem with those descriptions, oh and it might help if I knew the brand names to toss in for the standard non modified L1 and L2 EVSEs.

The LEAF wil not charge at 16A on 120V on any EVSE, only 12A. The other numbers look correct except that at 220V it may creep to 17A as the load at 220V will remain 3.8 kw. You should go with a rev2 mod unless there is some specific reason not to do so.

The most I've ever seen with calibrated equipment is 16.5A on 240v, and only briefly.

On 120v, when voltage is low, I've seen peaks up to 14A, but again, only for short periods.

Regardless of which revision upgrade you get, it generally only charges at 12A on 120v, and it can pull 16A when over about 190V.

It will accept and work with any voltage from about 95 to 265, 50 or 60hz.

The kW confusion stems mainly from the difference between AC power consumed and actual charge power delivered to the battery. There is significant overhead and some loss due to conversion efficiency. This means that charging is generally more efficient at higher power levels, so ideally you would want to charge on 240v if possible.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
The most I've ever seen with calibrated equipment is 16.5A on 240v, and only briefly.

On 120v, when voltage is low, I've seen peaks up to 14A, but again, only for short periods.

Regardless of which revision upgrade you get, it generally only charges at 12A on 120v, and it can pull 16A when over about 190V.

It will accept and work with any voltage from about 95 to 265, 50 or 60hz.

The kW confusion stems mainly from the difference between AC power consumed and actual charge power delivered to the battery. There is significant overhead and some loss due to conversion efficiency. This means that charging is generally more efficient at higher power levels, so ideally you would want to charge on 240v if possible.

-Phil

OK so I'm straight on the 120v being 12a both versions.

but these are correct?

2.88 kW (240v x 12a = 2880 watts) Rev 1
3.84 kW (240v x 16a = 3840 watts) Rev 2

I'm just looking for an apples to apples way to compare charging rates between unmodified and modified EVSE options. I'm in the US so you can assume the normal US assumptions as if I got a proper electrician to install a new modern circuits for charging the leaf (say NEMA 5-20 for the 120v, NEMA L6-20 for the 240v but if it changes the answer if the plug is NEMA 14-30 I'd like to know that too).

and to compare vs the "I bought whatever Nissan told me to" L2 EVSE is

3.30 kW (220v x 15a = 3300 watts) "nominal" EVSE description apples to apples compared to the above or are there multiple L2s with significant share (say more than 30% of the L2 EVSEs in the US)?

I haven't bought one yet but I want to know that I fully understand this so I don't spew misinformation when I discuss this offline or on another forum and so that my future purchase plans are informed decisions. It's hard to read up on all the possibilities so I'm trying to get a solid grasp of the basics (and I consider your modification of the L1 EVSE required knowledge and barring some game changer I'd expect to use one).

Back