Ford Focus EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jaxed said:
http://www.smartplanet.com/business...ctric-to-debut-in-19-us-cities-in-2011/12326/

I have an early reservation for the Leaf, but I'm not in one of the blessed states.

Looks like I may be going with Ford - that's a nice spread of launch cities.

Here is the list, including a few Northern type cities...perhaps as a result of the 'liquid' battery management system, which I have not yet seen details on:

Atlanta, Ga.
Austin, Texas
Houston, Texas
Boston, Ma.
Chicago, Ill.
Denver, Colo.
Detroit, Mich.
Los Angeles, Calif.
New York, N.Y.
Orlando, Fla.
Phoenix, Ariz.
Tucson, Ariz.
Portland, Ore.
Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
Richmond, Va.
San Francisco, Calif.
San Diego, Calif.
Seattle, Wash.
Washington, D.C.

cdub said:
EVDRIVER said:
I never use my trunk and most people just store crap in it.

You don't have young kids right now then do you? I'm always hauling my kids stuff in the trunk. Strollers, diaper bags, etc....

The LEAF is marketed as a family car so it needs a trunk - heck FAMILY is in it's name. ;)

No, I left them in the desert because I needed the trunk space. It's a family car because that's what the had as a platform to develop and that could hold the pack. It's also common denominator marketing as well. Sounds like you need an SUV:)

Yeah baby! Boston, MA... If the Volt doesn't come through, then it looks like a Focus EV for me... I do like the 6.6KW charging, I don't give 2 you know whats about the trunk, I need a commuter car, and it looks fine for that.

Of course, what's the price going to be? If it's anywhere in the Volts $41-44K, I'd stick with the Volt, to tell ya the truth. My daily roundtrip commute is 34 miles. Could be done in EV with either vehicle, but the Volt would be more flexible as a single vehicle, which is all I need.

EVDRIVER said:
Sounds like you need an SUV:)

Because I have 2 kids I need an SUV? Are you from GM or Chrysler? ;)

The LEAF will function perfectly well as a family car with 2 or 3 kids.

My Ford Mobile Looks Nice:

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/01/07/ces-2011-hands-on-with-myford-mobile/

I think the Focus is an excellent ICEV. And I would certainly consider it as my next petroleum fueled car-if I ever buy one. But the design compromises made in adapting it to an EV mean I'm not likely to consider it as an alternative to the LEAF.

Good car designs, IMO, integrate the design features with the underlying technology.

And my own review of the LEAF, particularly after I got as good look at the SF Drive event, is that Nissan did a rather good job of integrating the requirements of the EV (aerodynamic efficiency, short nose, high seating to accommodate battery space, etc.) in the overall design.

The commitment Nissan has made, to large scale production, also greatly improves the chance for long term support and resale value.

When I paid the $99 deposit 9 months ago, I was hoping to see tougher EV competition by now.

edatoakrun said:
When I paid the $99 deposit 9 months ago, I was hoping to see tougher EV competition by now.

Tougher EV competition? It was quite obvious that it will not happen today and certainly not tomorrow. I'll give it at least 2-3 years before things will look promising, in the meantime Nissan will carry the crown.

While trunc space is not a major blocking issue - when comparing Leaf & Focus EV it would be considered. Afterall both are EVs with 100 mile range. We don't yet know the price - but that would be a major consideration. After that you start looking at the features & various internal measurements (which includes the trunc space) and decide what is more important to you. Nobody here can decide what is important for others - so no point arguing about it.

If I get a bigger trunc space, I can use the EV on more occassions, which is an important factor. When I need larger amount of space, I'll use the CUV. When I need something larger I'll hire a u-haul.

TimeHorse said:
AndyH said:
(Let me know if you want help with that post office box...!)
:lol: Well, I'm still keen on a 6.6kW charger and Cold Weather Trim so I'll try and hold off for the 2012 LEAF anyway but thanks, mate!
Any time! :lol:

evnow said:
I've split all the hair splitting over ground up design to a new thread.

Let us stick to Focus EV here.

Great - you want us to Focus. Geeze! ;)

Hey - if Ford is number one, why aren't the Chinese trying to steal their battery technology? :lol:

I'm not a fan of Focus's front. Why does an EV need a grill ?

01-ford-focus-electric-ces-live-1294411049.jpg

evnow said:

01-ford-focus-electric-ces-live-1294411049.jpg

I can see the need for a small opening to provide cooling for the air conditioning system; but not a huge grill like the one shown. ;) It's probably just for "styling".

derkraut said:
I can see the need for a small opening to provide cooling for the air conditioning system; but not a huge grill like the one shown. ;) It's probably just for "styling".
Wonder what fish the grill resembles ;)

sjfotos said:
Because it looks nice ? ;)
To me it looks bad - I guess the weird outline of the grill.

The car also looks somewhat "unbalanced" too - kind of front heavy. May be just the angle.

evnow said:
sjfotos said:
Because it looks nice ? ;)
To me it looks bad - I guess the weird outline of the grill.

The car also looks somewhat "unbalanced" too - kind of front heavy. May be just the angle.

Yeah, this is why styling is always such a crap shoot. I like it, and I certainly do not find the LEAF objectionable, but it is all personable preference.

evnow said:
Actually it looks like it is a poorly fitted decal for the top "grill".

By the way, I read that, " Ford is saying the car will manage a range of 100 miles and ... be recharged on a 240 volt outlet in four hours or less. "

Anyone with EV knowledge here tell me how they do that :?:
Does it suggest they won't use the 'standard' EV charger, but some variant between the J1772 and the Chademo?

jkyu99 said:
evnow said:
Actually it looks like it is a poorly fitted decal for the top "grill".

By the way, I read that, " Ford is saying the car will manage a range of 100 miles and ... be recharged on a 240 volt outlet in four hours or less. "

Anyone with EV knowledge here tell me how they do that :?:
Does it suggest they won't use the 'standard' EV charger, but some variant between the J1772 and the Chademo?
J1772 can charge at much faster rates than even what Ford will be doing with the Focus EV...

jkyu99 said:
That is simple. They are using 6.6 KW charger in the car rather than the 3.3 that Leaf/Volt have. J1772 is capable of much higher current rates (that I believe Tesla wants to use).

If you search you will see tons of posts here on why Leaf is us/isn't using 6.6kw charger. Speculation was next year Leaf will upgrade ... the fact that Focus has it makes that more likely now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back