Ford Focus EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was an interesting smartphone app that gave you both the percent remaining charge and the likely number of miles that charge would give you based upon the recorded driving style/experience you had. There was a "zippy to zen" scale on the app. In addition, there was a battery health indicator, but I am not sure how functional that was....

I wonder what the Focus EV weighs?

ICE conversions not only sacrifice interior space. Total vehicle weight and distribution also suffer.

The lower center of gravity, and weight concentrated in the center of the LEAF, as opposed to in the front and rear of the car, improves handling.

Ofcourse they didn't talk about the elephant in the room - what is the price ? I'd be very surprised if they can match Leaf's price. $350 lease on the other hand, they will match.

Train said:
That Focus is really nice. It looks great, too. I'd say 80% of the time, there's no one in the back seat when driving so having less trunk space for items is a non issue for most people. Many people just throw stuff behind them, groceries, whatever.

That car is impossible to use for a family car - while I can for sure without a doubt transport my 2 kids and the wife around in the LEAF (and be able to add a third car seat if we are ever blessed with another child)

Leading Environmental Affordable Family car

And to say trunk space is a non issue for most people makes me think you don't know most people. ;)

Ford's site doesn't seem to have as much info as bloggers. According to an early link (physorg), the 23kWh battery is made from LG Chem LiMn2O4 cells via their Compact Power subsidiary. These are the same cells used in the Volt. Ford says 100 mile range.

I hope it goes smoothly for Ford. After all, it's much easier to be number 2.

And to say trunk space is a non issue for most people makes me think you don't know most people.

Well, I disagree. I see most cars driving around with one person in them.

Train said:
And to say trunk space is a non issue for most people makes me think you don't know most people.

Well, I disagree. I see most cars driving around with one person in them.

That's true. You see SUVs driving all of the time without anyone in them.

But that doesn't change the fact that MOST people want/need a usable trunk.

Again, I disagree. To the person buying an EV, they may prefer the styling of the Focus and the trunk would be seconday.

I took 5 pages of notes from the keynote and I need to hit the road because traffic is a nightmare these days so I'll give my full report in my blog listed in the Sig later but for now my summary:

23kWh batter -- 1 less than the LEAF so to have the same range as the LEAF it'd have to be a 4% or so more efficient drive train / motor.

6.6kW charging -- I told Nissan to add this. Now, as others have said, maybe they'll listen for the 2012 model.

Leviton 320?? They said that's not available until late this year -- well, then again, late this year would be about the time the 2012 Focus EV will start sales. :) Either way, it's plug-in and Ford Branded and Geek Squad installed (but no mention of who puts in the NEMA 6-50R and the mounting bracket but we'll let that slide for the moment. :D

Anyway, as I can't get a 2011 Nissan LEAF as far as I'm concerned Nissan is Not first. To be first IMHO means to release your car to the general public in all 50 states and Canada. 7 << 50 States + 13 Provinces and Territories + Puerto Rico. If the Ford Focus EV is available in the Forgotten 36 and Eye-Poked 8 before the LEAF is; if it's released in Canada before the 2013 model that will be the first LEAF they get, and if it goes for less than $33,500 after the $7,500 tax credit and assuming it really can go toe to toe with the LEAF on mileage (80 mi at 80%), then I'm sorry folks but I have to declare a winner and it's not the LEAF.

As for my own plan; let's just say I'm keeping an opened mind here in the Eye-Poked 8.

Train said:
Again, I disagree. To the person buying an EV, they may prefer the styling of the Focus and the trunk would be seconday.

That may be true - but in order for it to be a car with mass appeal. You need to have a trunk.

No trunk = not mass market.

cdub said:
That's true. You see SUVs driving all of the time without anyone in them.

But that doesn't change the fact that MOST people want/need a usable trunk.

This is the same for most people that own pickup trucks. It's not the ACTUAL need for the trunk, bed, or 4-wheel drive - it's the PERCEPTION that they might need it sometime in the future...

Some people do need larger vehicles, but they've been oversold to the general public in order to increase profits for the manufacturer - not because most people need trucks...

TimeHorse said:
Anyway, as I can't get a 2011 Nissan LEAF as far as I'm concerned Nissan is Not first. To be first IMHO means to release your car to the general public in all 50 states and Canada. 7 << 50 States + 13 Provinces and Territories + Puerto Rico. If the Ford Focus EV is available in the Forgotten 36 and Eye-Poked 8 before the LEAF is; if it's released in Canada before the 2013 model that will be the first LEAF they get, and if it goes for less than $33,500 after the $7,500 tax credit and assuming it really can go toe to toe with the LEAF on mileage (80 mi at 80%), then I'm sorry folks but I have to declare a winner and it's not the LEAF.

That's a lot of IFs flying in formation, Amigo. ;) Here's a simple test: How many Focus EVs are on the road today? How many Leafs? Can you get a San Antonio post office box and order a Leaf from Rairdon and have it trucked to your front door? :lol:

(Let me know if you want help with that post office box...!)

Like a 100 mile range? Like waiting 8 hours for a full charge? Those are mass market?

To someone buying an EV, they may trade off the limited trunk space because the charging takes half the time, has liquid cooled batteries and styling they prefer. Comparing mass market apples to apples is required.

TimeHorse said:

As for my own plan; let's just say I'm keeping an opened mind here in the Eye-Poked 8.

"Ford has previously announced that when the Focus Electric hits the market, it will initially only be available in Washington, D.C. and just 14 states."

Sounds familiar. The Leaf will likely beat them to full-release, if only because Leaf's are already hitting the streets. Ford has yet to jump on the 'delay after delay' train..... :?

The Leaf is basically an altered coversion, NOT a ground up designed EV. Anybody that thinks otherwise is just ignoring the facts. Ever hear the word Versa?

The only ground up designed EV was the EV1, and the Model S will be when it's available in 2012.

AndyH said:
That's a lot of IFs flying in formation, Amigo. ;)

Yes, yes it is! I didn't say the LEAF couldn't still come out ahead, just that it has some reasonable serious competition. But if I were a betting man, I think the LEAF will still win because we know the Forgotten 36 and the Eye-Poked 8 are getting 2012 models, even if the 36 are getting late model years (assuming Nissan doesn't push us back farther and that Canada can order in 2012 so if Ford pushes back parts of the country and Canada and only releases the 2012 Ford Focus EV in select markets, Nissan still will doubtless come out ahead and then a winner shall be named (winner of the Affordable Electric Car NOW blog prize as specified therein).

JimmyDreams said:
"Ford has previously announced that when the Focus Electric hits the market, it will initially only be available in Washington, D.C. and just 14 states."

Sounds familiar. The Leaf will likely beat them to full-release, if only because Leaf's are already hitting the streets. Ford has yet to jump on the 'delay after delay' train..... :?

No doubt. :)

AndyH said:
(Let me know if you want help with that post office box...!)

:lol: Well, I'm still keen on a 6.6kW charger and Cold Weather Trim so I'll try and hold off for the 2012 LEAF anyway but thanks, mate!

cdub said:
Train said:

That may be true - but in order for it to be a car with mass appeal. You need to have a trunk.

I don't know what mass market you mean but I bet more Leaf drivers don't use the trunk VS those that do. There is still space back there. I never use my trunk and most people just store crap in it.

I've split all the hair splitting over ground up design to a new thread.

Let us stick to Focus EV here.

EVDRIVER said:
I never use my trunk and most people just store crap in it.

You don't have young kids right now then do you? I'm always hauling my kids stuff in the trunk. Strollers, diaper bags, etc....

The LEAF is marketed as a family car so it needs a trunk - heck FAMILY is in it's name. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back