Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those to me are trivial... Nissan has messed up big-time on the stuff that REALLY matters (like the battery, for one)...

jhm614 said:
I think you are glossing over some features that Nissan added - 6.6kW on-board charger and the resistive heater. Some Volt owners are still requesting those, even after the 2.0 update.

LTLFTcomposite said:
That picture is misleading in that it leaves out a lot of detail (on both sides). The leaf doesn't have a direct connection from the motor to the wheels. Reduction gears, differential, CV joints, bearings, suspension components... still plenty to wear out and fail.

or is the pix to illustrate the differences and leaving common components out of the picture?

mwalsh said:
TomT said:
At least they are constantly doing things unlike Nissan which has done squat in four years!

Even if I don't wholeheartedly agree with the last sentiment you express there, GM is so far ahead of Nissan when it communication with/responsiveness to it's customers that it's not even funny, at least when it comes to the Volt. GM should give a masterclass and Nissan should be forced to take it!

Hmmm ... what exactly has GM done ? Apart from totally ignoring marketing Volt (or doing so very poorly) and screwing it's gen 2 introduction by focusing on a car that is 2 years away ...

Look at that 5th seat. That tells the story.

Oh, where is the CUV volt ?

evnow said:
mwalsh said:
TomT said:
At least they are constantly doing things unlike Nissan which has done squat in four years!
Even if I don't wholeheartedly agree with the last sentiment you express there, GM is so far ahead of Nissan when it communication with/responsiveness to it's customers that it's not even funny, at least when it comes to the Volt. GM should give a masterclass and Nissan should be forced to take it!
Hmmm ... what exactly has GM done ? Apart from totally ignoring marketing Volt (or doing so very poorly) and screwing it's gen 2 introduction by focusing on a car that is 2 years away ...
It appears they are trying to learn from what the did (tech-wise & user feedback-wise) with the Volt Gen 1 and Spark and build upon it. They've made changes to the Volt each year (including modest range increases) and have treated their early adopters very well. They've earn my respect so much we are looking at the 2016 with 2011 going to another kid. Oldest kid just got a 2012 recently and loves it. Charged on 120v overnight at first. Now has a 240v charger so when comes home from work and add an hour or two before going out.
evnow said:
Oh, where is the CUV volt ?
Good question. Suspect it is in development. PHEV Outlander may force it out.
evnow said:
Look at that 5th seat. That tells the story.
Small kids will work well in the back of the Volt like with most small cars.

bHvoXrB.jpg

At the end of the day, when you look at the only metric that really matters to the carmakers, the market is much more kind to Nissan and its LEAF than Chevrolet and its Volt:

Nissan_LEAFSales_As_Percentage_Of_Chevy_Volt_Sales.png

Yes, Nissan has certainly made mistakes, but this chart summarizes the sum total of their choices when compared with those of GM, as perceived by the market to date.

evnow said:

Dedicated team of Volt advisors, one of whom is specifically assigned to you, and who are GM employees genuinely interested in helping you with any difficulties you have with your car. Whom also interact with customers on third-party forums (well GM-Volt.com specifically, maybe other places too) with the same objective.

Monthly email communication about your car, with basic metrics like tire pressure and remaining engine oil life, but also relating information on any potential problems that might be imminent.

These two things alone are enough to differentiate them from what Nissan has been doing for the last 4 years.

DaveinOlyWA said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
That picture is misleading in that it leaves out a lot of detail (on both sides). The leaf doesn't have a direct connection from the motor to the wheels. Reduction gears, differential, CV joints, bearings, suspension components... still plenty to wear out and fail.

or is the pix to illustrate the differences and leaving common components out of the picture?[/quote

Yes, they both have basic common components.

mwalsh said:
Dedicated team of Volt advisors, one of whom is specifically assigned to you, and who are GM employees genuinely interested in helping you with any difficulties you have with your car.

I take it back...I just found out that these positions are actually outsourced. However, the contracting company requires the employees in these positions to have at least 2 ASE certifications (although you're allowed to earn them post-hire if you are otherwise an attractive proposition). But still, the truth remains that I'd rather be in the hands of a Volt Advisor than a Nissan EV Help-line employee.

mwalsh said:
mwalsh said:
Dedicated team of Volt advisors, one of whom is specifically assigned to you, and who are GM employees genuinely interested in helping you with any difficulties you have with your car.

I take it back...I just found out that these positions are actually outsourced. However, the contracting company requires the employees in these positions to have at least 2 ASE certifications (although you're allowed to earn them post-hire if you are otherwise an attractive proposition). But still, the truth remains that I'd rather be in the hands of a Volt Advisor than a Nissan EV Help-line employee.
That doesn't look like a scalable approach.

Shows GM is not interested in promoting and mass marketing Volt. They just want it to be a boutique vehicle.

Personally not interested in such things that assumes that plugins will be a niche.

In terms of actual product modifications, GM has not done anything major to address any customer demands/concerns. I'd say Leaf has made more progress than Volt in this regard.

scottf200 said:
So, all they had to do was put a bit of cushion and some seat belts ? Why did they wait for gen 2 to do that ?!

evnow said:
scottf200 said:
So, all they had to do was put a bit of cushion and some seat belts ? Why did they wait for gen 2 to do that ?!
No doubt there are technical reasons and likely (re)testing/regulation reasons.

So you agree it has a purpose for kids at least?!?

scottf200 said:
evnow said:
scottf200 said:

I'm not really sure I'd want to balance a car seat on that hump. I wonder if there's latch attachments for it.

scottf200 said:
Title: 2016 Chevrolet Volt Video Discusses NVH, Driving Dynamics & More [range tease]
http://insideevs.com/2016-chevrolet-volt-video-discusses-nvh-driving-dynamics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paddles mentioned in the previous video (why the split?)
VMg48C9.png

I am guessing one paddle increases regen, and the other decreases it?

My question is, can it be shut off completely for free wheel coasting? And then of course, be increased again to slow the car when you need to.

evnow said:
scottf200 said:
Seriously? They updated the entire car from battery cells to body. The EV range is 25% better. The range extender is over 10% more efficient and runs cheaper gas. It's faster -- 0-30 mph is now 2.6 seconds vs. a Tesla S60 in 2.5 seconds. The electric motors now use something around 80% less rare earth metals for the permanent magnets meaning less dependence on China and less expensive to make.

Overall, they incrementally improved in all of their key areas which is something Toyota was always good at and American car companies tended to ignore. They should be able to have more pricing latitude which means some combination of lower customer pricing and maybe an actual profit margin which will encourage them to continue improving it so customers will have more plugin car options.

scottf200 said:
evnow said:
scottf200 said:
pkulak said:
I'm not really sure I'd want to balance a car seat on that hump. I wonder if there's latch attachments for it.
My question was to EVNow specifically since he's mocking it. :)

Wait ... so you think they forgot the anchors. There is pictures on the net of the back and it shows the Top Tether Anchor for the middle seat.
Current Volt manual text:
(Top Tether Anchor): Seating positions with top tether anchors.
(Lower Anchor): Seating positions with two lower anchors
TPsdjB4.png

scottf200 said:
My question was to EVNow specifically since he's mocking it. :)
Not "mocking" it. Telling as I see it - they didn't make any changes to the T battery shape to make a usual 5th seat possible.

My comment about the 5th seat is no different than that of many Volt fans I've read.

JeffN said:
Seriously? They updated the entire car from battery cells to body. The EV range is 25% better.
Fairly sure when Leaf 2 comes out the EV range will increase by much more than 25%.

evnow said:
JeffN said:
Seriously? They updated the entire car from battery cells to body. The EV range is 25% better.
Fairly sure when Leaf 2 comes out the EV range will increase by much more than 25%.
Sure, probably based on the new LG Chem battery cells that weren't ready yet for the 2016 Volt (or a 2016 LEAF) but that will be used in future GM cars. GM tweaked the Volt cells 2013 and 2015. It won't be surprising if they upgrade the cells to the new chemistry in 2017 or 2018 when they become available. In fact, it would be surprising if they didn't since there will be competitive pressure and it's probably cheaper in the long run for them to share technology and manufacturing facilities between the Volt and other cars with the new cells.

Yeah, two years from now! The Leaf is available THIS year... By that time, The Volt will likely have moved on to a new battery as well...

evnow said:

Back