Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. The Prius is simply too lacking in any personality or character of any kind for me to consider it... I've driven them many times and never could warm to them. It's a fine car at what it does; it's just not for us...

Weatherman said:
lorenfb said:
A Prius would have provided the same result at a lower initial cost and probably would have a better
resale value.
True. But as a former Prius owner, I can say that the Volt is a much nicer car to drive and is far more attractive in appearance.

lorenfb said:
BernieTx said:
I expect the Volt will handle 80-90% of my driving in EV mode.

A Prius would have provided the same result at a lower initial cost and probably would have a better
resale value.
No, a PHEV with EV range sufficient for 80-90% of daily needs is qualitatively different from a PHEV with just a few miles of EV range. For the plug-in Prius the plug is merely a mild MPG booster, and not a cost effective one. If you could use a Prius in EV mode for 80-90% of your daily mileage needs then probably you could just as well be walking that distance.

Unless you meant that total cost of ownership of a plug-in Prius is lower than that of a Volt, which may well be true. Also the TCO of a regular Prius is lower than that of a plug-in Prius. And the TCO of a 15 year old Toyota Corolla is lower than that of a Prius.

walterbays said:
If you could use a Prius in EV mode for 80-90% of your daily mileage needs then probably you could just as well be walking that distance..

I think that's a pretty uninformed sentiment. In 2012, I chose a LEAF over a PiP even though my usage with the PiP would have been almost completely EV. My commute was an 'easy' 14 miles (it's now 10) RT that would have been likely full EV in a PiP during the good weather. (for reference, summer commutes in to work often only used 1kwh as indicated by the LEAF). That being said walking to work is not even remotely possible. Biking, perhaps, but not walking.

Everyone must make their own call. That's why I like that we have full EVs, several 'strengths' of PHEVs, as well as hybris and 'regular' cars.

walterbays said:
GRA said:
IMO, until the 'Lizard' battery proves itself in hot climates with at least three years of customer use including at least two full summers, taking a chance on a non-TMS pack in any hot climate like Texas is not a good idea. I know I wouldn't do it based solely on claims that Nissan's made.
If Nissan offered a real battery warranty I'd feel comfortable buying one without lots of real world data. Say, if the battery degrades by 20% (Ah or kWh *not* bars) in 5 years or 50,000 miles you get a new one paying the difference between the warranted lifetime and the actual lifetime. That they don't offer a pro rata warranty, given all the test data they have which we don't have, makes me suspicious.
Agreed, absent any willingness to back up their claims with their own money by offering an appropriate warranty, their word is worth the paper it's written on.

TomT said:
Agreed. The Prius is simply too lacking in any personality or character of any kind for me to consider it... I've driven them many times and never could warm to them. It's a fine car at what it does; it's just not for us...

Weatherman said:
lorenfb said:
resale value.
True. But as a former Prius owner, I can say that the Volt is a much nicer car to drive and is far more attractive in appearance.

Can't disagree on that point!

essaunders said:
walterbays said:
If you could use a Prius in EV mode for 80-90% of your daily mileage needs then probably you could just as well be walking that distance..

I think that's a pretty uninformed sentiment. In 2012, I chose a LEAF over a PiP even though my usage with the PiP would have been almost completely EV. My commute was an 'easy' 14 miles (it's now 10) RT that would have been likely full EV in a PiP during the good weather. (for reference, summer commutes in to work often only used 1kwh as indicated by the LEAF). That being said walking to work is not even remotely possible. Biking, perhaps, but not walking.

Everyone must make their own call. That's why I like that we have full EVs, several 'strengths' of PHEVs, as well as hybris and 'regular' cars.

I heartily agree. I can barely walk to the mailbox and back (although I can ride 15 miles on my E-bicycle), and there are so many people who would never buy a BEV, or even a Volt, that has to be plugged in to be worth driving, that it's good that there are lots of PHEVs to make the transition easier. Someday the current PIP will make little sense, but for now it's a very nice car for those with short commutes - or long ones. It's mainly the intermediate length trips that are better made with a Volt or BEV.

Does anyone know if the volt has a separate starter motor for the ICE or does one of the motor generators serve as the starter motor?
I assume there is no separate alternator.

Yes, the MGA (the generator) functions as a starter for the ICE.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Does anyone know if the volt has a separate starter motor for the ICE or does one of the motor generators serve as the starter motor?
I assume there is no separate alternator.

So mechanically the volt is no more complex than a conventional ice car, the two motor generators displace the starter and alternator, the three clutches and planetary gears are overall much simpler than an automatic transmission.

Actually, I'd say it is less complex...

LTLFTcomposite said:
So mechanically the volt is no more complex than a conventional ice car, the two motor generators displace the starter and alternator, the three clutches and planetary gears are overall much simpler than an automatic transmission.

LTLFTcomposite said:

You be the judge:

VoltPT_zps4faa4109.jpg

And the Prius:

PriusPT_zpse0ded586.jpg

And the Leaf:

LeafPT_zpsd5c47895.jpg

LTLFTcomposite said:
^ please update that picture and add a jeep with a nine speed transmission, that was the point

To imply that the Volt's drive-train might be a factor when considering an EV over an ICE vehicle with an automatic
transmission, e.g. a Jeep, because one might consider the Volt's drive-train less complex is naive. Furthermore,
one seems to forget the complexity of the ICE itself versus a BEV, e.g. the Leaf.

Bottom line: The Volt is inherently less reliable than a BEV, e.g. Leaf.

I wasn't suggesting the volt was simpler than the leaf. My supposition was that the volt is no more mechanically complex than a conventional car with an automatic transmission, which you say is naive, but offer no reasoning.

LTLFTcomposite said:
^ please update that picture and add a jeep with a nine speed transmission, that was the point

Or, even better, draw a picture of the Audi or BMW PHEV with an 8-speed automatic transmission AND an entire plug-in drivetrain. Maybe just link to it, since it's probably not cool to post an image that size inline!

LTLFTcomposite said:
I wasn't suggesting the volt was simpler than the leaf. My supposition was that the volt is no more mechanically complex than a conventional car with an automatic transmission, which you say is naive, but offer no reasoning.

Or how about an ICE vehicle with a manual transmission, i.e. it has a single clutch system which
is definitely less complex than the Volt's or Prius' drive-train with multiple clutches. Any comparison
of the mechanical system complexity of a vehicle with an ICE to a BEV is basically a waste of time.

lorenfb said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

Or how about an ICE vehicle with a manual transmission, i.e. it has a singe clutch system which is definitely less complex than the
Volt's or Prius' drive-train with multiple clutches. Any comparison of the mechanical system complexity of a vehicle with an ICE
to a BEV is basically a wasted of time.
Well it's a good thing that's not what I doing then.

lorenfb said:
Or how about an ICE vehicle with a manual transmission, i.e. it has a single clutch system which
is definitely less complex than the Volt's or Prius' drive-train with multiple clutches.
Prius drivetrain doesn't have multiple clutches. It has none... well, it has a clutch plate but nothing to engage nor disengage it. Some discussion at http://priuschat.com/threads/psd-functioning.90127/#post-1274956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

You like that one?

How about this one, for fun?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-04-09/another-electric-car-bites-dust-chevy-volt-go-way-aztek" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"...it has finally met its fate on the recycling lot, which as many had predicted long ago, will be right next to that other GM "shock and awe" concept: the infamous Pontiac Aztek."

Back