Help with trouble codes - inability to quick charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidV

Finally made the trip out to a local 350Green quick charger and attempted to try it out. Dissapointingly, the car failed to quick charge after multiple attempts (yes, timer was off). Dealer pulled the following codes:

P3173 (on board charging system)
B2980 (quich charge port temp, signal stuck on high)

Anyone experience similar or have any insights?

-- DavidV :D

cwerdna said:
What did the dealer tell you? They couldn't fix it or were they blaming the charging station?

Jury is still out, apparently. They are handing it over to the corporate engineers via the regional rep. and we are waiting to hear back on what the data analysis turns up. I wonder if we're the first ones with this particular set of issues or if there have been others.

I had a similar experience.

They ordered a whole new on board charger and replaced it.

It didn't solve the problem.

They checked all the wiring and found a bent pin on a connector.

Cheezmo said:
I had a similar experience.

They ordered a whole new on board charger and replaced it.

It didn't solve the problem.

They checked all the wiring and found a bent pin on a connector.

Thanks for sharing. I'll keep everyone here posted. I will be interesting comparing notes once this has (hopefully) been resolved.

DavidV said:
Finally made the trip out to a local 350Green quick charger and attempted to try it out. Dissapointingly, the car failed to quick charge after multiple attempts (yes, timer was off). Dealer pulled the following codes:

P3173 (on board charging system)
B2980 (quich charge port temp, signal stuck on high)

Anyone experience similar or have any insights?

Based solely on the error message "B2980 (quich charge port temp, signal stuck on high)" that sure sounds like they are getting a stuck high signal which implies a broken wire, bad pin as mentioned earlier, the temperature sensor itself is defective or possibly the input circuit receiving the signal. I'd ask them to inspect the connectors in the signal path to that sensor for bent or broken pins. Then get a multimeter and check for continuity of the wire. They could also turn the car on and check the signal coming from the sensor and make sure that signal gets to the computer input.

Were you with Marina at the time? I think I got a call about your adventures while you were trying to quick charge at Stanford!

ElectricVehicle said:
Were you with Marina at the time? I think I got a call about your adventures while you were trying to quick charge at Stanford!

That was me! Thanks so much for the phone support - world's better than what I got from Nissan that afternoon.

Update: Looks like they ordered a new QC port and are replacing it for me.

I spoke too soon... turned out to be rodent damage and thus not covered under warranty. :(

603445_10151315124522542_1381584557_n.jpg

Fixed as of tonight by a friend for $120 - a small fraction of the $1,100 Nissan wanted to replace the cable assembly.

323020_10151347074762542_129813788_o.jpg

Haven't had too much experience with this, but I'm told that if you dose the wiring with Tabasco sauce, it'll deter rodent nibbling. My source claimed that certain types of wiring insulation have the active pepper ingredient incorporated into the plastic.

tape with rodent repellent built in, just hope you dont run into one that likes the taste:

http://warmate.trustpass.alibaba.com/product/110510348-103449792/ANTI_RODENT_ADHESIVE_TAPE.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.pakaflex.com/prodgn05.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DavidV said:
Finally made the trip out to a local 350Green quick charger and attempted to try it out. Dissapointingly, the car failed to quick charge after multiple attempts (yes, timer was off).

Just a general FYI -- quick charge overrides the timer, at least it always has for me.

What kind of of rodent is crawling up inside your Leaf to sharpen its teeth on your cables? Seems like an odd thing for them to do. You might want to check for other damage...

It/(they?) also chewed a hole in the bottom of my brake fluid reservoir. That was a $230 fix at the dealer. I'm just glad they caught it during the one year check-up before all the fluid was gone - my pregnant wife was commuting on twisty mountain roads with our toddler in that car. [shudders]

Back