Highest number of miles driven, uninterrupted, on 1-charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
... kinda disappointed. either there is a lot more left or i have already lost a good 10% of my capacity. Nissan says 138 miles for what i was doing today.
Not so much. A lot of starting and stopping probably reduces your range...plus you have to stop racing the Jettas at the stop lights. :p

DaveinOlyWA said:
ok, my entry. i thought about going to 2nd warning, but oh well. i drove around for 10 minutes and got tired of it. but this is no freeway, in town errand stuff.

How many miles into Low Battery, and what was the average miles/kWh for that trip?

TonyWilliams said:
94.1 miles on one charge, 4.8 miles/kWh, with 6700 feet of total elevation gain (Poway to Julian, California and back)!!! That was 3.7 miles into Very Low Battery, therefore at 4.8 m/kWh, I had about 2 to 3 miles left according to this chart.

Air conditioning was set to "Auto" and 70 degrees the entire way (I rarely turn it off). A mixture of D, ECO, and probably 20 miles of coasting due to the drastic elevation changes. Driven mostly between 40 and 45 mph.

21 usable battery kWh multiplied by 4.8 = 100 mile range ! Temperature was a bit above ideal for the battery, maybe a 1 or 2% hit to range, and I should have about 2% battery degradation for my total miles on the car. I love it when a plan comes together !

114 miles total driven for the day, as I drive about 20 miles before recharging to 100% for this 94.1 mile run.
Nice! Can you give all the details as I have a trip I'd like to try that's similar, except to the other side of Julian to Shelter Valley. Did you fully charge at Nissan Poway? How much charge did you have loft when you got to Julian after your trip? This is the route I'm considering - would bypass downtown Julian through Wynola to cut a couple miles off the drive and some elevation gain/loss.

DaveinOlyWA said:
ok, my entry. i thought about going to 2nd warning, but oh well. i drove around for 10 minutes and got tired of it. but this is no freeway, in town errand stuff.

kinda disappointed. either there is a lot more left or i have already lost a good 10% of my capacity. Nissan says 138 miles for what i was doing today.
Looks like your LBW came on quite a bit early if you were able to drive 3 miles without the last bar going away. If you were able to maintain the 5.7 mi/kWh dash reading you should have had another 17 miles or so left when you got the LBW at 93 miles, so a total of 110 miles to empty. Hard to say without knowing. Your dash reading does sound a bit low for the range you got for the day, though. Might be some other factor at play here - a SOC meter might have shed more light.

drees said:
Can you give all the details as I have a trip I'd like to try that's similar, except to the other side of Julian to Shelter Valley. Did you fully charge at Nissan Poway? How much charge did you have loft when you got to Julian after your trip?

I'll answer over here.

i averaged 5.7 Kwh. the range display was at 9 miles when low battery came on. odometer was at 92. so drove 6 miles ( most of that at a steady 35 mph around the neighborhood) range dropped to 6.

so if 21 Kwh was usable i would have 15-18 miles left since 98 miles would imply 17.2 kwh used. now, i normally dont but i will charge to full and report Kwh used (using my installed meter which is only accurate to the whole Kwh. but should be close enough.

91040 said:
This trip was with a 3 hour stop in the middle but on one charge:

103 miles
5.1 m/kw
5.7 miles below Very Low Battery warning
Approximately 83 miles freeway circa 55mph, 20 miles city streets circa 35mph. 1300' elevation difference between start and midpoint destination.

91040 is our So Cal mileage hero. He's done this kind of feat several times. Note the 83 freeway miles. The man has the most sensitive accelerator foot I've ever heard of. A born hypermiler.

Boomer23 said:
91040 is our So Cal mileage hero. He's done this kind of feat several times. Note the 83 freeway miles. The man has the most sensitive accelerator foot I've ever heard of. A born hypermiler.
Yes, amazing. Just read Tony's report in the other thread. Truly inspiring.

vjlvjl said:
Got my range anxiety out of the way on the first day I picked up my LEAF - 90.1 miles, Petaluma to San Jose, via San Francisco, driving in the Eco mode, air conditioning turned off. Average speed on freeway ~ 60 MPH, in the city ~30 MPH. City driving was ~10 miles out of 90. When I got home, the gauge showed I could have driven another 13 miles.

Did you use I-280 or 101 to get to San Jose? I assume you drove on 19th Ave. through SF.

DaveinOlyWA said:
i averaged 5.7 Kwh.

If you can pull that number from around town driving, I'd keep going to be the record holder!!!

I think you can go the full 119 miles, with some careful planning to make sure you end up at your house at the end!!

Actually, I'd make that another parameter in our little contest. Sure, Edmunds could drive to empty for 135 miles, but then they needed a tow. The highest mileage should require that it ended up at a place to charge, and didn't have to get towed to it, or have the power delivered to it by truck.

I rechareged 20 kw so at 85% efficiency that would be 17 used which means I probably could have gone farther. Asfar as good percormance iavoid the stop and goas much as p OS sible . Other than the trip to downtown olympia most of out qualifies as suburban driving

planet4ever said:
... the only hard number given here so far is 84 miles from Caracalover. I can report a bit better at 86.4, mostly freeway, but I went two miles into Very Low Battery and he didn't. More impressive is his 1500' elevation gain at the end. Presumably he either started at a lower elevation or dropped the 1500' at the beginning of the drive when he couldn't take advantage of regen.

Caracalover and I were both traveling 55, so nemrut's initial report of "about 80 miles at 62 mph" is not too shabby. I'm sure others could crawl out of the woodwork with significantly longer drives than any of us have reported here.

Ray
You are correct that I did start from home, which is at about 1500' elevation. I went to the Brazilian Consulate in Beverly Hills, using surface streets and taking it easy - it bugs me to not capitalize on the regen at the start of my travels - I lose 500' in just the first couple of miles. From BH I went to the port of Los Angeles in San Pedro, Which I assume is pretty close to sea level, although I did not check the gps. Again, I used the shortest distance carwings fed me to navigate surface streets. I tried to get a charge while there, and while I found an EV parking spot the 120 outlet failed and I ended up only being there for a few minutes, so with a 120 connection a few minutes likely yielded me nothing, and I don't believe I even got that. Disqualify me if you like, I wasn't trying to set any records, nor did I feel I needed to charge, jsut thought if I could, I would. From there I returned home as mentioned, on the freeway through downtown LA staying with the slow lane traffic, mostly around 55. I got the low battery warning just about a mile from home, just before the 500' elevation gain to the house.

I do travel 69 miles on one charge every Sunday, half over a mountain and half across the desert at 55 - 65. 8-10 hours later I do it again, after charging for about 4-5 hours at 240. I have gotten home with 4 bars showing on my first attempt, where I was extra cautious and avoided the freeway. Now I take the freeway and do 65 in the 70mph area, and 60 or so in the 65 MPH area. There is always other traffic going those speeds, so no trouble doing so - With the price of gas, I can understand why. I get home with two bars and save at lot of time. I have found that the uphills in the mountains seem to use the least energy around 30-35MPH, and the downhills coasting to 50 and then regaining energy until the speed drops to 40. Best part? The entire trip costs me less than a gallon of gasoline! (Charging at the far end is free, or it might cost about the same as 1 gallon of premium)

davewill said:
plus you have to stop racing the Jettas at the stoplights. :p

Speaking of racing, we were sitting at a light today when next to us a souped up older sports car was revving its engine (was really loud) and his passenger looked over and gave me this sh**** grin so when the light turned green (no opposing traffic) I floored it and left the guy so far behind (as I hit 48mph in just secs), and only slowed down because the limit was 45. Then he passed me going around 60. :lol:

I easily did the 130+ last spring then the Phx heat hit and i ran the AC 100% of the time..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60416291@N00/5764364886/in/photostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ill see if i can beat Leaffan to 150 miles this winter :cool:

mark13 said:
I easily did the 130+ last spring then the Phx heat hit and i ran the AC 100% of the time..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60416291@N00/5764364886/in/photostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ill see if i can beat Leaffan to 150 miles this winter :cool:

:lol: You'll be too late. I'm going to do it in a few weeks since I don't need A/C. I'm going to try to find a 75 mile flat, little used route.

Hi, newbie here, don't have a Leaf but considering it (drove one Thursday). I really don't need an EV, as I live in downtown Hayward so can walk to services, and I bicycle to work. My car is only used for out of town trips. The one I take most often is to Monterey, to scuba dive (with ca. 250 lb. of gear in the car), parking my car at San Carlos Beach aka the Breakwater. According to GoogleMaps this is 98.4 miles from my driveway, while my car odometer says it is 100.2 (original tires) or 101.0 (replacements for originals).

Has anyone managed to drive to Monterey from either Hayward or maybe San Carlos via 101 (and 880 from Hayward)/156/1 at freeway speeds, non-stop? It's almost totally flat (there's a few rolling hills south of Gilroy), and I figure I could probably make it with a stop for an hour's recharging or so, in either San Jose or at the Nissan dealer in Gilroy (there's also a dealer in Seaside). The problem is that I need to arrive in Monterey Saturday morning before 7:30 a.m. or so to get a parking spot, but the dealers wouldn't be open at that time. Early saturday morning there's little traffic, so I could cruise at 55 if I wanted to.

At the moment I know of only a single, inconveniently-located charging station in Monterey itself, but I'm sure that will change with some lobbying. I'd be willing to put up with some inconvenience for the moment, and presumably a Level 3 charger will eventually appear on 101 south of San Jose, but it would sure be preferable if the trip could be done nonstop.

Thanks.

You have to have a little buffer, so consider driving a bit slower, 45-50mph, or an hour or so charge at the south San Jose Nissan dealer. Tough to do if you start at 100%, and then only drive a relatively short distance to again charge to 100%.

Slower on the highway will always be faster than faster on the highway and charging somewhere.

The upcoming 2012 RAV4 EV might work out better for you. It has a significantly larger battery pack and is claimed to be able to get 100 "real world" miles. It would also have more room for gear. On the other hand, it might be significantly more expensive than the LEAF, and could be subject to delivery delays. Also, the CODA sedan and the Tesla Model S will have more range than the LEAF. I personally would really like more range for weekend trips. But I went with the LEAF anyway because it was available earlier, priced quite reasonably, and handles our day-to-day driving quite well.

Leaffan it would be so funny if I passed you up on a road that you were hypermiling on to get that magical 150 miles :cool: I know you live way East of Phx where I live way West of Phx so the chances of that happening are 0 ..
I do my hypermiling on Grand Ave late at night ,60 miles round trip..I do a lot of coasting into red lights..Im going to give neutral a try this year in pursuit of 150 mile charge..

mark13 said:
Leaffan it would be so funny if I passed you up on a road that you were hypermiling on to get that magical 150 miles :cool: I know you live way East of Phx where I live way West of Phx so the chances of that happening are 0 ..
I do my hypermiling on Grand Ave late at night ,60 miles round trip..I do a lot of coasting into red lights..Im going to give neutral a try this year in pursuit of 150 mile charge..

Actually, I use Grand Ave. quite a bit when my wife and I go to N Glendale, and the max speed limit is only 45 (sometimes 35 near Sun City), but what I don't like are the two inclines. Do you know how many miles it goes NW from 7th Ave.?

Twice last month I traveled 102 miles without stopping and was left with 1 bar showing. I don't remember what the "guess-o-meter" said as I don't pay any attention to it.

The trip is from my cabin in the woods to our home in Bellevue (outside of Seattle). All but 4 miles of the trip is on country roads, so the average speed was around 45 mph.

The reason I'm able to go so far is that the cabin is at 2900' and I travel 19 miles up to a 5432' pass and then regen for the next 20 miles or so heading back down to home which is at 100'.

Gravity can be our friend if we start the trip high enough! :D

Back