Home charging station dilemna?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timaz

I just read this article and now wonder if Nissan pushed back delivery dates because most of us are not ready? I had no idea it could take months with permits to get a charging station installed! I am now wondering what is really going to happen tomorrow with my appointment?

http://www.nctimes.com/business/article_2cb1cade-de04-54df-a50e-94b8a583a79a.html

Assuming the desired EVSE is actually available, the process can easily take as little as a few days from beginning (initial bid) to end (final inspection). The job itself is USUALLY not that difficult, and takes only a few hours, rarely up to a day.

Relax. Gudy is getting his LEAF Dec 11, has no EVSE, plans to park in his driveway and use a looong extension chord to charge using the L1 that comes with his car.

Installing a home charging station could take anywhere from a few days to a couple of months. It depends on the time it takes to get a local work permit and to have the charging station inspected after installation. The installation itself should only take a few hours.
Wow, here in Oregon pretty much any electrical contractor can get a permit issued in the matter of hours online and have the job done by the afternoon. Where I live (Washington County) they even have an accelerated permitting process so EVSEs don't need an electrical inspection! :D

That is a GREAT example of WHY Oregon is a rollout state and the "other 36" are not.

States, cities, and PUs that have been willing to help "make it happen" seem to have been "chosen" by Nissan.

If you want LEAFs in your area, work on your city, PU, and state to help "grease" and encourage the installing of EV infrastructure, both in public and at home.

Timaz said:
I just read this article and now wonder if Nissan pushed back delivery dates because most of us are not ready? I had no idea it could take months with permits to get a charging station installed! I am now wondering what is really going to happen tomorrow with my appointment?

http://www.nctimes.com/business/article_2cb1cade-de04-54df-a50e-94b8a583a79a.html

Timaz, somehow I must have missed what your "appointment" is about tomorrow. Is your Blink being installed tomorrow? We are number AZ 00054, so it won't be happening soon. Good luck tomorrow.

San Mateo County (in silicon valley) was requiring detailed plans, diagrams, charts, and pictures (with a paragaph on the back of each one -- ok that's a different topic), and getting the permit appeared to be extremely painful. Then, as of last week, they decided that there would be no permit requirement at all for chargers. They now view it as a glorified UL-listed extension cord.

The actual installation was done very efficiently by Sprig Electric (based in San Jose) in just a couple of hours, so the charger has been ready to go since the 16th.

Nissan LEAF - Silver SL
Reserved - 20.apr.2010 @ 13.45 - Ordered - 4.sep.2010 @ 20.41 - Delivery - Pending
6.4 kW PV system

Despite all the difficulties I'm having with the more esoteric stuff, my EVSE install is going mostly smoothly; I've talked to the inspectors, I've talked to the PU, I've interviewed 3 contractors and examined each bid and proposal, I've researched my regulations and understand my permitting, know it's $250, researched my EVSE choices and should have it all in place by 31 Dec 2010 here in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Sure, it was never close to being turn-key and I couldn't have done it without all the useful info here on the MyNissanLeaf forum but it certainly can be done in a tier-3 state/commonwealth. I just went with Clipper Creek as the only one truly in stock and reliable and am now seeing all the pieces fall into place.

Our city in Souch O.C. took just a few minutes to take our permit ... and signed it off in another couple minutes, after the install was done (Nov 2).

Back