How long 'til 4th bar drops?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish someone would write a program that cycled the car automatically basically turning it on and off and using heater

mwalsh said:
theoldchum said:
My 2011 is @ 42.36AH and 64SOH and still clinging on to bar 9. OD is 30,657. I think I'll drop within the week.

Or not. ;) :lol:

Did you notice any strange behavior like we have - occasional AHr reading with extreme upward swings?

Define "extreme upward swings". 0.5 AHr? 0.1 AHr? smaller?

mwalsh said:
Stanton said:
Define "extreme upward swings". 0.5 AHr? 0.1 AHr? smaller?

I'll take anything from 0.25AHr fairly frequently, to single instances of 0.5AHr.

I've had two "extremes" - one a little over 0.5AHr and one a little over 0.35AHr, and many around 0.25AHr over the last 30 days.

I've seen nothing like that: just a steady downward slope. I'm just under 43 AHr.

Now @ 42.29 AH 64 SOH 43.25HX 30,681 OD 2 QC and 1988 L1, L2 charges. Just got the proper Bluetooth OBD Ii that will work with Leaf Spy. This is my 3rd check and it's a steady decline from 42.40 AH. Anyone purchasing a Bluetooth OBD II reader needs to be careful to get a reader that is compatible with the program. I purchased a Konnwei KW902 on Amazon.

If only there was a way to turn on the pack heater manually.
Does anyone know how much heat it would take to get at least part of the pack up to like 35C? Maybe 500W heating pad from Walgreens against the steel shell will do it?

I'm still sitting at 44.82 but seen it at 44.21 befor.me. Frozen right now.

Do we think the capacity loss data is stored in the battery itself? I'm trying to figure out ways to trick it. Such as stupid things like connecting and disconnecting some thing many times or setting the clock over and over so it thinks time has passed. Or maybe it only updates when the car phones home? Maybe Nissan is playing god on this one?

There's gotta be a loophole somewhere to make it think it's worse than it really is. (Determined)

I thought if possibly there was a way to disconnect #9 and tie it to #10. This way it would flash up on start and be lit up when the new battery is installed. I would never do this of course, just a thought.

edatoakrun said:
For those of you who drive more-than-average miles per year who really want to defraud Nissan and get your battery replaced under the five year/60,000 mile nine capacity bar warrantee, I'd suggest an alternative that will not require any extreme vandalism, but it requires some advanced planning.

Replacing the stock tires with those of a larger circumference will lower the odometer's tally of miles driven, compared to the actual miles you drive.

This will probably also reduce the actual m/kWh efficiency slightly, mostly due to higher rolling/aero resistance, but what the hell, the small increase in battery cycling will also slightly accelerate battery capacity degradation, and that's your goal anyway, right?
But the Leaf has no gears, so it wouldn't really matter would it? Power in and power out would still be the same to drive it. If the wheels actually raise the height of the vehicle or cause more air drag, I could see that hurting the mileage.

Increased tire size would increase the distance covered per revolution of the tires. This also would slightly increase the power needed per revolution and decrease actual odometer and speedometer readings. In theory it should decrease the miles per KWh.

I lost my 4th bar day before yesterday in Woodland Hills, CA. My first post, so please bear with me.

My car's is an early '11 made in Japan.

Stats at the time it happened:
Odometer: 54,606
Ahr: 41.879
SOH: 63%
Hx: 42.55
#L1/L2 Charges: 2805. No fast charge port.

As someone pointed out earlier, I observed a strange report, the max AHr reported for the day did not drop, instead it increased significantly while Hx constantly and rapidly dropped even when ambient temperature was getting cooler!

Code:
Date     MinAhr     MaxAhr     MinHx     MaxHx
---------------------------------------------------------------
 4-Oct   42.338     42.338     43.31     43.31
12-Oct	42.102     42.351     42.95     42.97
19-Oct	41.879     41.938     42.59     42.63
20-Oct	41.872     41.892     42.58     42.61 <--- 9 bars
21-Oct	41.872     42.109     42.55     42.59 <--- 8 bars

Strangely, if I make short trips, Ahr drops by .02 sometimes more. Fourth bar dropped when I parked during a short trip.

Since my warranty expires in April next year, should I delay replacing the battery in the hopes of getting a better chemistry?

Good luck!

sasun said:
Since my warranty expires in April next year, should I delay replacing the battery in the hopes of getting a better chemistry?
You need to be sure P3227 software update has been done before doing any waiting.

Unlikely chemistry will change.

It is possible that as a purchaser of a used LEAF that your capacity warranty is only restoration to nine bars.

I would probably have it done sooner while Nissan is installing new packs.

They could change at aome point in the future for used LEAF purchasers.

Tim, the warranty is on the car not the purchaser. The settlement terms of the class action suit clearly state that the battery packs will no longer be restored and will be replaced with a new battery pack.

theoldchum said:
Tim, the warranty is on the car not the purchaser. The settlement terms of the class action suit clearly state that the battery packs will no longer be restored and will be replaced with a new battery pack.
That is what I initially thought too.

But the recent discussion and careful review of the settlement seems to indicate that is incorrect.

See:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18905&start=320#p440621

In finalizing the settlement after mediation they revised to make it clear only the 13,000 originally sent the Class notification letter are in the Class.

Those not in the class only get the repair to nine bars requirement that Nissan gave everyone with a LEAF including 2013 forward.

Now they may keep giving new packs on all vehicles.

But for many LEAFs the capacity warranty requirement is repair to nine bars for the warranty duration.

Only the 13,000 that did not Opt Out are guaranteed new battery.

TimLee said:

Very interesting. I figured there would be more than that (I'm one of them), but then again, they only sold something like 20k 2011-12 Leafs.

theoldchum said:
Just dropped to 8 bars this morning. Went to dealer and have to bring it back Monday for the test and get the new pack ordered.
# of miles?

I recall you mentioned yours is an '11. What was the build month (sticker on driver's side)? When was your in service date? Always resided in/around Henderson, NV?

Now that is interesting, anyone with a 2013 that hits 8 bars would only get a repair pack to 9 bars? If the battery pack as a whole was the issue (capacity), it wouldn't be possible to fix a single thing, seems the whole pack would need to be replaced.
TimLee said:
theoldchum said:
That is what I initially thought too.

But the recent discussion and careful review of the settlement seems to indicate that is incorrect.

See:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18905&start=320#p440621

In finalizing the settlement after mediation they revised to make it clear only the 13,000 originally sent the Class notification letter are in the Class.

Those not in the class only get the repair to nine bars requirement that Nissan gave everyone with a LEAF including 2013 forward.

Now they may keep giving new packs on all vehicles.

But for many LEAFs the capacity warranty requirement is repair to nine bars for the warranty duration.

Back