Howdy folks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorbil

I am super new to the EV community. I am actually waiting on delivery on a '13 Leaf SL now (5 weeks out). Can't wait to try it out in the mountains of Western North Carolina.

I am searching for an OUTDOOR home EV charging station (Level 2) and would appreciate some feedback as to what brand most people favor. I have been directed to AeroVironment by Nissan of course. Others have suggested Schneider and Leviton. Is there one to avoid at all costs? Or one that is preferred above the rest?

Thank you for your feedback.

Razorbil said:
I am super new to the EV community. I am actually waiting on delivery on a '13 Leaf SL now (5 weeks out). Can't wait to try it out in the mountains of Western North Carolina.

I am searching for an OUTDOOR home EV charging station (Level 2) and would appreciate some feedback as to what brand most people favor. I have been directed to AeroVironment by Nissan of course. Others have suggested Schneider and Leviton. Is there one to avoid at all costs? Or one that is preferred above the rest?

Check your local lowes and Home Depot to see what they have.

Ian B

Some forum members have reported issues using the GE Wattstation EVSE. Here's a search link you can use to find some of the pertinent threads:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/search.php?keywords=wattstation&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=30&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MrIanB said:
Razorbil said:

Check your local lowes and Home Depot to see what they have.

Ian B

They seem to have a few options, but fewer for outdoor installations.

vrwl said:
Some forum members have reported issues using the GE Wattstation EVSE. Here's a search link you can use to find some of the pertinent threads:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/search.php?keywords=wattstation&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=30&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Awesome. Thank you. It looks like it is kinda up in the air as everyone has a different experience with each charger. I like the online reviews of the Schneider , but the Leviton looks solid as well.

It probably would not be suitable for outdoor use, but don't forget about EVSEUPGRADE.COM. I have been using my converted EVSE to charge my LEAF since I got it in April last year without any problems at all. 9350 miles so far.

I am in central NC and use an outdoor EVSE as part of Duke Energy's pilot program. It is made by Siemens. Since I don't have a garage, it has been exposed to ice, snow, rain, falling leaves, insects... For the first time this past week, I had a LITTLE trouble pushing the trigger to release the connector from the car -- we had had some freezing rain and it was 17 degrees out. Oh, and coiling the cord for storage on really cold days can be iffy - sometimes I just store the connector and don't worry about the cord until it gets above 32.

I have not had any trouble with charging whatsoever. I generally use the timer and charge to 80% most days, 100% on my long commute day.

Twice there has been a louder than usual hum (in the past 15 months) when I've plugged it in and hit the button to override the timer. On both occasions, I have unplugged it, waited a moment, plugged it back in and re-initiated charging and it has gone back to being its usual quiet self. I don't know if Duke Energy had a special deal with Siemens (highly likely) but I plan to continue using it when the pilot ends in October (2 years). They have a nominal purchase price to convert from a pilot program to an owner.

nlagnew said:
I am in central NC and use an outdoor EVSE as part of Duke Energy's pilot program. It is made by Siemens. Since I don't have a garage, it has been exposed to ice, snow, rain, falling leaves, insects... For the first time this past week, I had a LITTLE trouble pushing the trigger to release the connector from the car -- we had had some freezing rain and it was 17 degrees out. Oh, and coiling the cord for storage on really cold days can be iffy - sometimes I just store the connector and don't worry about the cord until it gets above 32.

I have not had any trouble with charging whatsoever. I generally use the timer and charge to 80% most days, 100% on my long commute day.

Twice there has been a louder than usual hum (in the past 15 months) when I've plugged it in and hit the button to override the timer. On both occasions, I have unplugged it, waited a moment, plugged it back in and re-initiated charging and it has gone back to being its usual quiet self. I don't know if Duke Energy had a special deal with Siemens (highly likely) but I plan to continue using it when the pilot ends in October (2 years). They have a nominal purchase price to convert from a pilot program to an owner.

Great. Thank you. I will look into the Siemens as well. I noticed them for sale, but they didn't have many reviews. This helps.

jimcmorr said:
It probably would not be suitable for outdoor use, but don't forget about EVSEUPGRADE.COM. I have been using my converted EVSE to charge my LEAF since I got it in April last year without any problems at all. 9350 miles so far.
I've used the EVSEupgrade outdoors for 98% of my charging since I got the car nearly 22 months ago. I have the L6-20 plug covered, and the EVSE brick mounted under a plywood sheet that protects it from the rain. Of course we don't have any "real" weather here.

That costs less than $300 for the upgrade, and I spent about $100 on a little sub panel, breakers, outlet, wire, and Liquidtight conduit. You can't beat the price, and it just works, every time.

Ray

planet4ever said:
jimcmorr said:
I've used the EVSEupgrade outdoors for 98% of my charging since I got the car nearly 22 months ago. I have the L6-20 plug covered, and the EVSE brick mounted under a plywood sheet that protects it from the rain. Of course we don't have any "real" weather here.

That costs less than $300 for the upgrade, and I spent about $100 on a little sub panel, breakers, outlet, wire, and Liquidtight conduit. You can't beat the price, and it just works, every time.

Ray

Thank you all for all the info. I decided to go with the Leviton evb32-5ml.

Back