I Beat EPA's 2.9 Miles/KWh : Report Your Monthly Mileage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
That's just about exactly the same difference between the dash reading and meter reading I get - wall to wheels is right around 83-85% of what the dash reads

And... 84% of, oh, say 26 kW*h that I use at the wall to completely fuel up a depleted traction battery (rated at 24kW*h) comes out to 21.84 kW*h.... and 22.68 for 27kW*h of power from the wall.

And 21 times 4 equals 84 miles (at 60mph).
.......22 times 4 equals 88 miles (at 60mph).

Yep, the numbers seem to be adding up.

Compared to the 34 KwH/100 miles the EPA estimates, so far I've managed to get 32.3 Kwh /100 miles or about 5% better.

However compared the the proposed 2013 EPA Window Sticker, I predict a savings of $8,389 over 5 years, whereas the EPA figure savings of $9,600. Wonder what they are comparing the LEAF to? They say the 'average car', whatever that may be

evnow said:
It is interesting that we haven't seen any reports of m/kWh being less than what EPA rates - 2.9 m/kWh.
At some point there will be winter in a cold weather state, at which point 2.9 m/kWh will seem aspirational. Over the months my efficiency has gone from 4.2 miles/kWh to 5.5 miles/kWh, which is either due to warming temperatures or getting used to the car, or both. Despite the fact that, if Carwings can be believed, at least one Leaf driver is going 62 miles on a kWh, I don't expect the trend to continue.

I only have 14 days driving in the LEAF (took delivery at the end of July, but was on vacation all last week) so I was going to wait to post here until I had a larger sample size.

However, in the 500 miles I've driven so far, my Dash reads 4.6 miles/kW*h (although I've improved my driving habits this week and resetting the history on the NAV for this week I'm up to 5.2).
I'm observing what everyone has mentioned about CARWINGs being very optimistic. Today it says for annual driving records: 6.0 miles/kW*h. Compared to the 4.6 I see from the car. I'll take a look at my bill (when it arrives) and meter to see what the actual usage is.

We have 4.1 on the dashboard display, the Carwings web site displays a much higher number (5.9??).

We are currently Gold on the scale of efficiency.

Went from 5.2 m/kWh to 5.3 m/Kwh this month. I guess it will start going down again in Sep as it gets colder.

My lifetime wall m/kWh has now improved to 3.9. I also finished 6 months of ownership :D

Code:
Month : Aug-2011
a. 724 Miles
b. 165 kWh (Wall - Blink)
c. 4.4 Miles/kWh (Wall)
d. 5.3 Miles/kWh (Leaf)
e. ? Miles/kWh (CarWings)
f. $18.2
g. 2.5 Cents/Mile

Car: 4.5 miles / kWh
CarWings: 6.1 miles / kWh

Total for the month:
Solar panels made 561 kWh
840 miles driven using 187 kWh

I have more strange Blink stats (from the Blink History) and I can't understand why the m/kW h is higher from the wall than the dash and this month no charges were left out.
Edit: Last night (31st), the Blink didn't have the Aug. data, so I used the Blink website. Has anyone else found the website's lack of accuracy in reporting the charging history? It said 59kW hs used, but the Blink today said 82. Now, the figures below are correct:

Month : AUG, 2011
a. 364 Miles
b. 82 kW h (Wall/Blink)
c. 4.4 Miles/kW h (Wall/Blink)
d. 5.9 Miles/kW h (Dash)
e. 8.3 Miles/kW h (CarWings)
f. $0.0 (PVs generated 653 kW hs)
g. 0 Cents/Mile

,y August MTD figures reflect 3 vacations, 2 with the Leaf (charging for free) and one without. all instances resulted in less driving than normal but "great" performance #s

miles driven; 908.4
cost; $21.28 (2.34 cents per mile. miles were driven but if the juice did not come out of my pocket it is not counted)

efficiency from the wall; 4.07 miles/kwh
from Batt; 4.98 miles/kwh.

total electricity cost is subject to change; for first time since i had "significant" increase in electricity (i am guessing from running pool filter pump 24/7) but cost of juice went from 10.2 cents/kwh to 10.5 cent/kwh now that is up thru August 2nd. i changed my "default" value back to 10.2 since that is what its been since last electrical hike.

i will say that electrical rates have not changed much. i started tracking charging costs on my Zenn in Oct 2007 and it was 9.4 cents/kwh. since then, we have had 4 rate hikes. now compare that to the price of gas...

A. 505.6
B. 115.14 (wall-Blink)
C. 4.39 miles/kWh (wall-Blink)
D. 5.1 miles/kWh (Leaf)
E. Carwings...who cares?
F. Free (954.94 kWh produced by PV)
G. Free

I'm hoping to go up in m/kWh as the temp's drop here in AZ. Second hottest summer on record here.

I get 3.45 miles/kwh. I don't try very hard as my photo voltaic system provides the electricity. The plethora of photons in Tucson enables me to drive with no cost and no pollution.

eeman said:
Carwings reported my last mileage efficiency as 6.7 miles/kWh.
And that is why people are reporting the value from the car or the wall/Blink, because Carwings' data is not accurate.

patrick0101 said:
eeman said:
And that is why people are reporting the value from the car or the wall/Blink, because Carwings' data is not accurate.

If you get the NTB11-041 Carwings update, you may find CW is now (close to) accurate. I think my car's screen history, rather than the dash, may be the most accurate report of m/kWh. See this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5423&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CW is now under-reporting my distance traveled, as compared with both my odometer and Google Maps, by 2.5%, +/- 0.1%.

Has anyone else-before or after the NTB11-041 update-seen this same odometer/CW mileage disparity?

Do you suppose this may reflect the similar discrepancy between the dash and screen numbers, as widely reported?

My car has consistently shown 4.3 m/kWh on the dash and 4.4 on the screen, for months now, as my average since delivery.

So, from the limited info I can gather, looks to me that Carwings may now (since the update) be accurate as to energy use, but underreporting my car’s miles driven, and m/kWh, by 2.5%.

Carwings rankings below show the result since my 8/3 update, when CW was (almost?) corrected.

Your rank for the past 12 months

Month and Year Grade Rank Energy Economy

May/2011 Gold 492 5.4 miles/kWh
Jun/2011 Gold 695 5.7 miles/kWh
Jul/2011 Gold 1651 5.3 miles/kWh
Aug/2011 Bronze 3622 4.2 miles/kWh
Sep/2011 Bronze 2850 4.5 miles/kWh

edatoakrun said:
patrick0101 said:
eeman said:

If you get the NTB11-041 Carwings update, you may find CW is now (close to) accurate.

Do Nissan have to perform the update or can we via the car or website?

edatoakrun said:
It was a “Firmware update” from the dealer.

when did this come about? i got "a" firmware update that addressed some A/C problem i was supposed to have (despite my best efforts to manifest this issue, i could not, but i was told it was there, so i must have missed it)

is this another one, because my Carwings (i just checked it this morning for first time in about a month) does not seem much improved.

or maybe i should be bragging about my 7.2 miles per Kwh average!!

Car wings make be using GPS distance and not odometer distance. That would account for it being a little lower unless you always drive in a straight line.

edatoakrun said:
CW is now under-reporting my distance traveled, as compared with both my odometer and Google Maps, by 2.5%, +/- 0.1%.

TomT said:
Car wings make be using GPS distance and not odometer distance. That would account for it being a little lower unless you always drive in a straight line.

edatoakrun said:

I think it's more likely that carwings was calibrated with a different make of tire, with a slightly smaller circumference.

On the bright side, CW should be accurate by the time I replace the tires due to tread wear.

And by then, my odometer readings (now correct to .1%, according to Google maps) will be 2.5% too high...

Back