I Beat EPA's 2.9 Miles/KWh : Report Your Monthly Mileage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm at 3.7m/kwh (on the dash) this july for 630 miles so far. Most of this is on the freeway going between 55-75 mph in eco with the fan on half the time. Seem reasonable or am I a kwh waster?

evnow said:
hill said:
Hey I thought Nissan was supposed to fix car wings, so that it mirrors reality (which in my case is just about 5.01 miles per kWh, after all conversion losses) a bit closer. oh well any way you slice it - not too shabby.
Is that 5.01 on the dash or at the wall ?
The dash shows 5.6 - whereas wall computation is working out to 5.01

when i drive, dash averages 5.5-5.8 with wall averaging 4.6-4.7

when she drives its 4.2-4.5 on dash but she drives nearly all freeway A/C all the time (cant roll down window or will mess with her hair, although she always has it up) but i guess it better than winter when she was averaging in the 3's

hill said:
Thats very good - because of my short hilly commute - I'll never come close to that.

That is equivalent to 117 miles of range or just 178 w/mile.

evnow said:
hill said:
Thats very good - because of my short hilly commute - I'll never come close to that.

That is equivalent to 117 miles of range or just 178 w/mile.
I voluntarily start my commute (appx 20 miles each direction) EARLY early ... 3:55am. (1:20pm going home) 75% are surface strees, with the green lights favoring my direction. Average combined speed (surface streets & freeway) runs about 40mph. The low speeds over most of the 4,000+ miles is what really helps. Wind drag - even on a low drag car, does take its toll.

mark13 said:
Im at 3500 miles now and a life time avg of 5.7 KWH at the dash..I look forward to the winter time when me and leaffan can battle it out for best KW per mile ;-) The AC is just a killer for trying to Hypermile..

Yeah, if I hadn't had to use the A/C so much (wife needs it all the time;I don't so much except during our monsoon season), I could be in the 6's. But today on our 54 mile trip, with the A/C on the whole time, we averaged 10miles/bar starting from a 100% charge.

LEAFfan said:
Yeah, I corrected it in my sig, but forgot to correct it in the post...post corrected...thanks!
If you'd like another correction suggestion for your sig, you should have kWh.

An uppercase K refers to degrees Kelvin, not kilo.

Watt(W) is uppercase just like other SI units that are named after people: N (Newton), J (Joule), T (Tesla), V (Volt), F (Farad), Hz...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilowatt_hour

Went from 4.9 m/kWh to 5.2 m/Kwh this month.

Month : July-2011
a. 663 Miles
b. 153 kWh (Wall - Blink)
c. 4.3 Miles/kWh (Wall)
d. 5.2 Miles/kWh (Leaf)
e. ? Miles/kWh (CarWings)
f. $16.8
g. 2.5 Cents/Mile

State of the Ultility Report: Month of July. in my Leaf i drove 1195.7 miles using 280.09 KWH for efficiency of 4.27 miles/kwh from the wall or 2.4 cents per mile. Car reported using 254.92 KWH or an efficiency of 91%. this figure is bloated due to 18 KWH used but not paid for during camping trip. real efficiency is 85.2%. this increase is due to EVSE upgrade which i started using July 8th. impact to electric bill; $28.67 for the month. gas in Prius; 2 fillups totaling $76.05 distance traveled 1022 miles

Another Platinum month. 741 miles of Leaf driving used 119 kWh (CarWings), 6.2 miles/kWh. Solar made 429kWh; Driving for free!

Just reached 1000 miles on my Leaf.

1000 miles, 320 kwh (per my dedicated PG&E meter), so that's 3.13 m/kwh. The center console reading was 3.8.

Driving is almost all heavy-duty stop-and-go on San Francisco hills with the A/C on. Most days I drive about 20-30 miles, usually re-charge to 80% every night (sometimes 2). Best mileage on an 80% charge was 53 miles, 80% to turtle.

Taxidan said:
Just reached 1000 miles on my Leaf.

1000 miles, 320 kwh (per my dedicated PG&E meter), so that's 3.13 m/kwh. The center console reading was 3.8.

My center console is about 3.8 also, and three months of use has given me 191+615+433kW, for 1239kW total billed (@7.7 cents/kW), so at 4100 miles at the last meter reading on July 11, I'm about 3.3 miles per actual paid for kW of juice; about 2.5 pennies per mile total.

Taxidan said:
That's just about exactly the same difference between the dash reading and meter reading I get - wall to wheels is right around 83-85% of what the dash reads (center console is typically about 0.1 higher than the dash). Also charging to 80% but my numbers are about 3.7 mi / kWh from the wall with the dash reading about 4.4 mi / kWh.

It is interesting that we haven't seen any reports of m/kWh being less than what EPA rates - 2.9 m/kWh.

patrick0101 said:
LEAFfan said:
Yeah, I corrected it in my sig, but forgot to correct it in the post...post corrected...thanks!
If you'd like another correction suggestion for your sig, you should have kWh.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilowatt_hour

Actually, the correct and preferred form according to Wiki is: kW h or kW-(centered dot)h, not kWh. From Wiki: "The international standard for SI[3] states that in a forming a compound unit symbol, "Multiplication must be indicated by a space or a half-high (centered) dot (·), since otherwise some prefixes could be misinterpreted as a unit symbol" (i.e., kW h or kW·h). This is supported by a voluntary standard[4] issued jointly by an international (IEEE) and national (ASTM) organization. One guide published by NIST specifically recommends avoiding "kWh" "to avoid possible confusion".

Month : JUN/JUL-2011
a. 1292.2 Miles
b. 368.34 kWh (Wall - Blink)
c. 3.5 Miles/kWh (Wall)
d. 4.2 Miles/kWh (Leaf)
e. 5.2 Miles/kWh (CarWings)
f. $35.54 (@ $0.0965 / kWh)
g. 2.75 Cents/Mile

Finally had the car spanning a full month (July), but I lumped in the partial June data in with this one. I am commuting 60 miles round trip daily during weekdays, and while I was conservative during the first week or two, I now find that I can very easily cruise at 70mph with air on while going out for lunch or errands during the day and always have more than 15 miles range and two bars of battery showing on the dash.

willietjustice said:
Finally had the car spanning a full month (July), but I lumped in the partial June data in with this one. I am commuting 60 miles round trip daily during weekdays, and while I was conservative during the first week or two, I now find that I can very easily cruise at 70mph with air on while going out for lunch or errands during the day and always have more than 15 miles range and two bars of battery showing on the dash.
Nice. You may get a big less during winter with heater, though.

Month : JUL-2011
a. 1,305 Miles
b. 343.59 kWh (Wall - Blink)
c. 3.8 Miles/kWh (Wall)
d. 4.4 Miles/kWh (Leaf)
e. 6.3 Miles/kWh (CarWings)
f. $31.13
g. 2.3 Cents/Mile

Back