I Beat EPA's 2.9 Miles/KWh : Report Your Monthly Mileage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
TomT said:
Car wings make be using GPS distance and not odometer distance. That would account for it being a little lower unless you always drive in a straight line.

edatoakrun said:
CW is now under-reporting my distance traveled, as compared with both my odometer and Google Maps, by 2.5%, +/- 0.1%.

I think it's more likely that carwings was calibrated with a different make of tire, with a slightly smaller circumference.

On the bright side, CW should be accurate by the time I replace the tires due to tread wear.

And by then, my odometer readings (now correct to .1%, according to Google maps) will be 2.5% too high...

OK I get CW could be using either Odometer or GPS to calculate distance traveled. We simply don't know. (I'd put my money on odometer).

However I don't get the tire calibration reasoning. Are we saying the Leaf's odometer is inaccurate? Seems unlikely, and certainly CW wouldn't get a different reading to the odometer if it is measuring road distance.

What I do know about CW is that some trips are simply absent from the recorded data, which would cause it to under-report on average.

OK I get CW could be using either Odometer or GPS to calculate distance traveled. We simply don't know. (I'd put my money on odometer).

However I don't get the tire calibration reasoning. Are we saying the Leaf's odometer is inaccurate? Seems unlikely, and certainly CW wouldn't get a different reading to the odometer if it is measuring road distance.

What I do know about CW is that some trips are simply absent from the recorded data, which would cause it to under-report on average.

JP White

Next time you drive, record your odometer mileage , and compare it to that day's CW "miles driven".

My odometer readings (which I believe to be correct, and which agree with Google maps) have been 2.5% higher than CW, in each of the last 4 days on which I drove.

Carwings has not missed recording any of my days driving since 8/3. That's why I had the update done, to correct the frequent "missing" drives, and it has done so. The correction of m/kWh was a pleasant surprise, coincident with the time of the update.

I believe Carwings and the dash are probably NOT monitoring the odometer, though the "history" screen might be, hence the variation. CW seems to be calculating mileage from other (incorrect) information.

The discrepancy in reported millage between the Leaf and carwings has been discussed frequently and I discount GPS as the culprit.

I believe it to be a simple calculation error. This accounts for higher than observed miles power kilowatt and the reduced driving distance or to put it another way: carwings simply lives in a smauller world than I do

JPWhite said:
Do Nissan have to perform the update or can we via the car or website?

It's 'Does Nissan', not Do. Nissan is a 'collective' proper noun and singular, so you need a singular verb. I've seen this so many times, I just don't understand why.
I asked the same question about the update a few posts back and dealer needs to do it.

LEAFfan said:
JPWhite said:

It's 'Does Nissan', not Do. Nissan is a 'collective' proper noun and singular, so you need a singular verb. I've seen this so many times, I just don't understand why. I'm sure it is taught every year in English class.
I asked the same question about the update a few posts back and dealer needs to do it.

Thanks for the grammar lesson.

Isn't that ...and a dealer needs to do it? :)

I've added the software update to my list of things to take care of during the first service visit I make at 7,500 miles.

JPWhite said:
LEAFfan said:
JPWhite said:

It's 'Does Nissan', not Do. Nissan is a 'collective' proper noun and singular, so you need a singular verb. I've seen this so many times, I just don't understand why. I'm sure it is taught every year in English class.

Thanks for the grammar lesson.

Isn't that ...and a dealer needs to do it? :)

I've added the software update to my list of things to take care of during the first service visit I make at 7,500 miles.

since i am way past 7,500 did i miss service interval?

LEAFfan said:
=

It's 'Does Nissan', not Do. Nissan is a 'collective' proper noun and singular, so you need a singular verb. I've seen this so many times, I just don't understand why.

Time to get offline LEAFfan. Nit-picking about others' spelling, grammar or bad typing isn't going to earn you any friends.

The pressure is on. I sure hope you don't type anything wrong anytime soon.

jlambeth said:
Time to get offline LEAFfan. Nit-picking about others' spelling, grammar or bad typing isn't going to earn you any friends. The pressure is on. I sure hope you don't type anything wrong anytime soon.

Jim, you missed the point and you have no right to tell me what to do. I was just trying to help people sound better. It isn't "bad typing" or "spelling". Everyone makes typos. If you want to look illiterate, then that's your choice. I won't help you. Our country is going to hell in a hand basket because of poor grammar. Listen to any TV news, watch any movie, or read any newspaper/magazine and you will see how rampant it is. It isn't about typing anything wrong. You won't be making many friends by butting in to other people's business.
Now, maybe we can get back OT.

From 100% charge:

I drove 95 miles and had 9 miles (low battery warning) left on the guess-o-meter. (104 total miles guessometer range)

The dash told me that I had an average (I reset Economy and Trip meter at 100%) economy of 5.8 miles/kWh.

It took 5 hours to charge back to 100% and my Blink told me it consumed exactly 19 kWh.

So, my math shows the following:

Miles driven: 95
Electricity consumed (from the wall): 19kWh
Economy (wall to wheels): 5 miles/kWh

Upon reaching 100% charge, when I start up the car, the guessometer reads:
Park/D : 111 miles
ECO: 123 miles

My goal for two full cycles is to drive the same routes in very similar weather conditions and see how accurate the guessometer is. My thought is that there are too many factors in my weekly drive to make this possible, but I'll report back.

TNleaf said:
My goal for two full cycles is to drive the same routes in very similar weather conditions and see how accurate the guessometer is.

You do know that would be pointless, correct? The GOM is dependent on what driving was done previously.

Drive up steep hill previously? One number.
Go down the same steep hill previously? Totally different numbers.

Yep, ignore the GOM. If you had 5.8m/kW h on the dash, just X it by 21 (100% charge) and you could have driven 122 miles as long as you keep it at 5.8 or higher.

TonyWilliams said:
TNleaf said:
My goal for two full cycles is to drive the same routes in very similar weather conditions and see how accurate the guessometer is.

You do know that would be pointless, correct? The GOM is dependent on what driving was done previously.

Define pointless. If my intention is to see how accurate (if at all) the GOM is, then driving 2 almost identical cycles should produce very similar results. Hence, the goal was to wane my curiosity, then the point was made.

If my plan was to depend on the GOM as a completely accurate range, then I would agree that my plan was pointless (and ill-thought out).

Pointless? No. Useful? Probably not :lol:

For Sept:

Leaf: 4.4 miles/kWh
Carwings: 6.0 miles/kWh
Leaf Electricity Consumption: 105 kWh

Solar Panels made: 364 kWh

As I read about the range/charging efficiencies reported by others I am reminded of how easy it is to go "into the weeds" when engaging in this exercise. Fun, but are your interests to determine how far you can go on a charge, or are you interested in the real cost of operating the vehicle over time? The kwH/mi is a small investment especially if you are on PV with a sizeable arrray placing your cost per mile nearly at zero. The real cost of operation cannot be known until we know the life cycle of the battery pack before replacement, the cell replacement cost, and the effective cost of warranty issues, and the out-of warranty repair issues. All these costs need to be factored into my cost of ownership no matter what mileage estimates I derive. If anyone has attempted to gather that type of information I would be interested. :)

nophartgocart said:
The real cost of operation cannot be known until we know the life cycle of the battery pack before replacement, the cell replacement cost, and the effective cost of warranty issues, and the out-of warranty repair issues. All these costs need to be factored into my cost of ownership no matter what mileage estimates I derive. If anyone has attempted to gather that type of information I would be interested. :)
Here is my battery replacement plan: drive car for 10 years, trade in, buy new car. :D

Back