I saw 2 volts and 6 leafs yesterday!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esounds

I was pretty impressed, driving around town doing errands I saw 6 leafs and 2 volts yesterday. I have noticed that I am seeing at least 1 or 2 leafs per day and a volt every other day. This is way up from a year ago when I would see one every week or so. Anyhow, just thought I would share.

esounds said:
I was pretty impressed, driving around town doing errands I saw 6 leafs and 2 volts yesterday. I have noticed that I am seeing at least 1 or 2 leafs per day and a volt every other day. This is way up from a year ago when I would see one every week or so. Anyhow, just thought I would share.

What part of the world are you in? (you should update your profile to reflect this so we don't need to ask)

I can drive for months without seeing another Leaf. I see a Volt about every 2 weeks.

adric22 said:
What part of the world are you in? (you should update your profile to reflect this so we don't need to ask)
Yes, please do. Such reports have little meaning without a location.

Well, I am dismayed. I started watching about May 2011. So far in my area, mostly western Pierce Co., I have seen one LEAF and one Volt. Except, sadly, many LEAFs on dealer's lots.

LEAFs are starting to become more and more common every day. for me; Volts are tougher to spot but my eye is not tuned to them. its like looking for Civic Hybrids... they simply dont stick out like LEAFs do

esounds said:

Thanks for sharing. That sounds like what we experienced this past Friday afternoon! We were in San Mateo and Foster City (normally not there on weekdays). During commute hours in that area, there are probably many times more! But, outside of SF BayLEAF meetings, this is the most we've spotted in one day. The LEAFs were parked, so no one to wave to. The last one was actually at the Costco near SFO Airport.

Drove down to SoCal in our Prius earlier during the week. Actually, it's the 1 yr anniverary of our LEAF purchase in SoCal. We took Hwy 101, so we passed all the cities we stopped to charge a year ago. Our college kid's next door neighbor has a LEAF. It was nice to see some there since we left our's at home. There were alot more Volts on the road than a year ago. And there's a gazillion Priis in the Bay Area and SoCal.

So nice to think about the reduction in gasoline used between all the LEAFs, Volts, Priis and other EVs and hybrids!

It's the total opposite here in New York. I see Volts every few days, but I've seen just ONE Leaf driving in my area, and that was two days ago. I also saw 2 Leafs in Ithaca, NY while on vacation upstate in July. The Volt drivers generally don't even acknowledge my presence. I waved at the Leaf driver, he nodded at me, but I don't think he realized that I was also in a Leaf until after I had pulled away. I think we see more Volts here because we were one of the first states to get the Volt, but one of the later states in the Leaf rollout. The Volt had a 9-or-so month head-start here.

I rarely see Volts on the Eastside, but plenty of Leafs every day. I agree that it doesn't stick out as much as Leaf does and that's a good thing.

In 9 months of owning a Leaf I have seen 4 Leaf's and 1 Volt. This is rather pathetic. The leaf is a really good car within its mileage limitations, With a 19.6 mile one way commute it works for me.

I was at the Town Center (shopping center) in Long Beach today and when I found a parking spot i noticed another leaf parked 2 spots down from mine. No plates yet so I was a new one.

Well that's my siteing for the day.

Neal

I was in CA last week in Carmel, Carmel-by-the-Sea and Monterey and sadly disappointed that I did not see one LEAF! Thought there were more in CA than most places. Went down to Cannery Row on Thursday and happened upon a Scion iQ waiting at the light as I passed the intersection and also saw a Mitsubishi i-MiEV parked on the main street thru that area, moments later. I haven't seen a LEAF in Kansas City since 2 out of 3 of us had a meet-n-greet in July. Ericvoll even lives nearby and I haven't seen him in the wild for awhile. I've only seen one Volt in the wild thus far. Saw lots of pricey vintage race cars in Carmel-by-the-Sea. Boy, was that a smelly, noisy polluting situation when they were all tooling around at the end of the day :shock: (even though I enjoyed seeing all the variety when they were parked). Made me really miss my clean, quiet LEAF back home. :cry: Hated buying gas for that rental car, too!

Around here, I now see Volts more often than Leafs... At work we now have two Leafs (including mine), one Coda, and three Volts... No charging however...

eclecticflower said:
I was in CA last week in Carmel, Carmel-by-the-Sea and Monterey and sadly disappointed that I did not see one LEAF! Thought there were more in CA than most places. Went down to Cannery Row on Thursday and happened upon a Scion iQ waiting at the light as I passed the intersection and also saw a Mitsubishi i-MiEV parked on the main street thru that area, moments later. I haven't seen a LEAF in Kansas City since 2 out of 3 of us had a meet-n-greet in July. Ericvoll even lives nearby and I haven't seen him in the wild for awhile. I've only seen one Volt in the wild thus far. Saw lots of pricey vintage race cars in Carmel-by-the-Sea. Boy, was that a smelly, noisy polluting situation when they were all tooling around at the end of the day :shock: (even though I enjoyed seeing all the variety when they were parked). Made me really miss my clean, quiet LEAF back home. :cry: Hated buying gas for that rental car, too!
Head 60 miles north to San Jose and you'll see plenty on the road.

@doxylover:
I actually flew into San Jose airport and drove about an hour and a half to Carmel, without a sighting and I was looking pretty hard. :eek: I must say, my friend and I liked the HOV lane :p (we don't have those in Kansas City). Driving back and forth between Carmel and Monterey that week, I didn't see a one (so disappointed :cry: )! Glad to know you've witnessed many LEAFs in San Jose. I wish I'd have caught a glimpse of them.

The iQ I saw by Cannery Row was strangely cute - I was happy to see that and the parked i-MiEV, though. Haven't seen anything remotely like those here in the midwest (the LEAF is an albatross in its own way here). Gotta love EVs. :)

eclecticflower said:
@doxylover:
I actually flew into San Jose airport and drove about an hour and a half to Carmel, without a sighting and I was looking pretty hard. :eek: I must say, my friend and I liked the HOV lane :p (we don't have those in Kansas City). Driving back and forth between Carmel and Monterey that week, I didn't see a one (so disappointed :cry: )! Glad to know you've witnessed many LEAFs in San Jose. I wish I'd have caught a glimpse of them.

The iQ I saw by Cannery Row was strangely cute - I was happy to see that and the parked i-MiEV, though. Haven't seen anything remotely like those here in the midwest (the LEAF is an albatross in its own way here). Gotta love EVs. :)
It is a mystery why Monterey and Carmel have been so slow to install public EVSEs, when they are a typical day/weekend destination from the Bay Area, and the area ideology is quite green. There are now L2s in Gilroy for those coming south, thanks to the efforts of forum member Planet4Ever. Until the past month, the only L2 EVSE was one in Carmel at a museum, which spent most of last winter out of service (need I say it's a Blink). There's an L1 (just a regular receptacle) in a public garage in downtown Monterey, and other than that there were L2s at Walgreen's in Seaside and Marina.

A couple of L2s just opened at a mall with a cineplex and restaurants in Monterey, albeit well away from downtown. AMBAG let a contract last year for four L2s by Ecotality (including the Carmel one above), but decided to scatter them around the county in San Juan Bautista, Watsonville and Salinas (where there are other L2s). What we need are L2s in public garages/lots along the shore and downtown, and I have no idea other than money why they haven't put any in. And an L3 for those who want to continue down Highway One to Big Sur/San Simeon would be ideal.

Anyway, here's a press release from almost a year ago; AFAICT very little has been done since:

http://www.kionrightnow.com/story/15720465/more-electric-vehicle-charging-stations-planned-along-central-coast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here in Austin Texas both cars are hard to find. Not counting the two leafs in my house, in 7 months of owning them, I have seen about 4-5 volts and 5 leafs. Odd, since Austin is supposed to be a leader and ev friendly.

Just reached 5k miles today and loving it. It's like Christmas day very time I get in to drive it.

Ian B

eclecticflower said:
@doxylover:
They were all ahead of you or behind you in the carpool lane :mrgreen:

I guess bad luck. I commute 18 miles each way between San Jose and Mountain View (to the NW) and regularly see at least a couple.

Other than my own, the only LEAFs I've ever seen were at a Nissan Drive Electric tour in September 2011. And I've never seen a Volt, in the wild or in captivity!

Life is different out here in the wilderness.

Back