I'm often asked how long does it take to charge up my #NissanLEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UBUYGAS

And I tell people around 9 Seconds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oy1ixsXgts

I'm often asked how long does it take to charge up my #NissanLEAF

Exactly what I tell people. Well, 10 seconds... 5 seconds to plug in on my way from the car to the house. 5 seconds to unplug and hang up the cord on my way to the car. The fuel is delivered magically by angels at night while I sleep.

I'm honest with them (8 hours), but I'll tell them I spend less time plugging in and unplugging daily than I would spend babysitting a pump in a given week. Anyone who has had to babysit a pump for 5+ minutes when it's -14F knows that it sucks.

Of course, the same could be said for an ICE if we follow that formula... Insert the nozzle, go in and buy a coffee, come out and put the nozzle away... In both cases, it is effectively lying...

Lasareath said:

Every gas station around here has "do not leave gas pump unattended" signs posted everywhere. I guess they don't want several gallons of highly combustible carcinogens spilled all over the ground. Worst case scenario with an EV if you walk away is you piss off another EV driver that wants to charge. :)

TomT said:
Of course, the same could be said for an ICE if we follow that formula... Insert the nozzle, go in and buy a coffee, come out and put the nozzle away... In both cases, it is effectively lying...

Lasareath said:

That's unnecessarily harsh and disingenuous in itself because you know better than to think we're trying to convince people that there's some magic 9-second QC. Of course it's eminently obvious to anyone that the pack doesn't recharge in 9 seconds. So we're not lying, we're changing focus.

The point is not to "lie" about charge times, but to convey that, when actually living with the vehicle, charging isn't a chore but quite the opposite -- a liberating experience. And to emphasize that for me, the speed of the automated process doesn't matter. And that it's a fabulous convenience compared to any trip to the gas station, real or imaginary. It's one of the things I truly love about the car. Sure I give the actual technical details if that's what someone wants to know. But I do stress that my involvement in charging lasts about 10 seconds; and in the comfort of my home, and not involving a trip (or diversion) to a crummy gas station.

No, to someone who knows nothing about EVs they would not necessarily know not to take it at face value, so it IS creating a false impression.
I always answer such questions truthfully, not with hyperbole...

Nubo said:
Of course it's eminently obvious to anyone that the pack doesn't recharge in 9 seconds. So we're not lying, we're changing focus.

I might say 30 seconds (a more accurate figure for plugging in and unplugging) but only if I followed it up with the actual charge time. Tom is right about people knowing so little that they will accept almost anything as possible. I once wrote a QBasic program (circa 1990) that convinced my coworkers that when they asked it a question, it called the head of the agency and woke him up for the answer.

TomT said:
No, to someone who knows nothing about EVs they would not necessarily know not to take it at face value, so it IS creating a false impression.
I always answer such questions truthfully, not with hyperbole...

Nubo said:
Of course it's eminently obvious to anyone that the pack doesn't recharge in 9 seconds. So we're not lying, we're changing focus.

Oh, dear lord Tom! Give me some credit for being an honest adult eh, please? Nobody's ever walked away from me thinking the car charges in 9 seconds. I convey that it takes ME 9 seconds. Must I stipulate every aspect of my conversations before I can present a cogent point here? Yes, I explain charging rates, level 1 vs level 2 vs DCQC. Ok, satisfied? Sheesh.

LeftieBiker said:
I might say 30 seconds (a more accurate figure for plugging in and unplugging)

I have timed it. 10 seconds without rushing, that includes plugging and unplugging. My arrangement may be easier than yours.

Yes, I explain charging rates, level 1 vs level 2 vs DCQC. Ok, satisfied? Sheesh.

If the original post had stated this, and you had stated it in your first post, there would be no disagreement. The point remains: you can't tell a stranger that your car charges in the time it takes to plug it in and unplug it, because of the low awareness of EV tech out there. Jokingly saying "9 seconds" and then explaining the actual figure is great, but nobody wrote, at first, that this is what they did, and Web mind-reading technology is still in the planning stage.

One new post while I typed that. It takes me 10 seconds to push the hatch release button and then get out of the car and walk to the front. I guess I'm slowing down.

That's about what the whole process takes me, not counting the time it takes to also connect the battery maintainer to its lead in the charge port compartment.

I like MPH . 30 MPH for a normal charger L2 or A mile of range in 2 min. For fast charging L3 I say 120 MPH or 2 miles A min. If anyone has a better way to teach this let me know. To me it gets away from the long times to charge from full discharge to full charge, as this seldom happens in real life. Most people can grasp MPH of range. This works for most people I have talked to.

speedski97 said:
I like MPH . 30 MPH for a normal charger L2 or A mile of range in 2 min. For fast charging L3 I say 120 MPH or 2 miles A min. If anyone has a better way to teach this let me know. To me it gets away from the long times to charge from full discharge to full charge, as this seldom happens in real life. Most people can grasp MPH of range. This works for most people I have talked to.

I find that pretty confusing, using the same term for both speed and range gain. I would go with %, as in "I get 1% of my car's charge replaced every two minutes on L-2, or 30% (or "almost a third") per hour." L-1 replaces 5% per hour. This requires a little more explanation for non-EV folks, but it avoids the confusion associated with different driving conditions resulting in different ranges.

This is a tough group... Anyway, before I answer the question, I say I rarely think about how long it takes to charge... It's more like I just charge my cell phone at night... And then discuss the when and why knowing this becomes more important, like managing miles, charge time and range, but close with I usually never think about it because it's rarely an issue...

And like the rest of us, I find the EV charge process cleaner on my hands and easier on my time spent as compared to buying gas....

So there, I agree in sentiment with OP...

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, I explain charging rates, level 1 vs level 2 vs DCQC. Ok, satisfied? Sheesh.

If the original post had stated this, and you had stated it in your first post, there would be no disagreement. The point remains: you can't tell a stranger that your car charges in the time it takes to plug it in and unplug it, because of the low awareness of EV tech out there. Jokingly saying "9 seconds" and then explaining the actual figure is great, but nobody wrote, at first, that this is what they did, and Web mind-reading technology is still in the planning stage.

It was a short comment for a simple concept. I didn't imagine I needed so many disclaimers! Especially amongst folks who live with EVs. I thought my audience would be familiar with the concept I was putting forth.

iVCpwgq.jpg

The charging time important to ME, is the ten seconds it takes ME, and it's of little consequence to me at home whether a full charge takes 8 hours or 4 hours. It's done when I wake up, regardless. So , to a stranger, before we talk about the physics, I mention what's really important to me -- MY time and how much of an improvement it is over seeking and purchasing gasoline. It's an under-rated point, imho and I make it seriously, not jokingly. If a newcomer is not well-versed in the physics you can rest assured they're even less prepared to imagine the reality of living with an EV as their head is probably awash with the FUD of "range anxiety" and "waiting for the charger" concerns. Important points, certainly. But so is mine, and it's not at all dishonest to make it. Not sure why anyone would assume that it's the ONLY point I would make. Hope I've cleared that up by now.

One new post while I typed that. It takes me 10 seconds to push the hatch release button and then get out of the car and walk to the front. I guess I'm slowing down.

I exit the car and walk past the front of the car anyway, so I don't count that time. My setup is quite convenient, and when I talk to people who might consider an EV I advise installing in a convenient location. Another point, OMG! :lol:

--------------|door|-------|evse|
.....................................|-----car---------|
.....................................|-----Nubo-----|

Pop the charge cover (less than one second with the button, or sometimes the fob (keys are out anyway to unlock the house door)
Get out of the car and walk to the front (was gonna do this anyway, vs. staying in the car all night :)
stop at the front bumper, grab the evse plug, pivot, flick open the level2 cover with the end of the plug, and insert (4 seconds)
walk into the house (was gonna do this anyway) as the car and EVSE negotiate and car prepares for the timer.

The morning routine is slightly slower as I have to physically latch the charge cover.

I say "15 seconds". At least the people I hang around with understand what I'm saying. No one thinks my car will charge in 15 seconds. Especially a LEAF S without fast charging capability.

Back