Long Term Leaf Storage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktliu777

Hi, all. We had a second Leaf boomerang as my kid's new apartment does not allow EV charging, and charging stations around downtown San Francisco are rarely available.

I looked and did not find a thread on long term storage.

Is it better for long term battery health to park the extra Leaf @ 40-50% (outside, in the cold); or run it occasionally and charge it about once a week ?

What does long term storage means to you. A month? Six months? A year? The "best practice" for storage will change depending on your answer.
If the Leaf is going to sit for six months or a year or more and you can't drive it regularly for some reason, why not sell it/trade it for a car that better fits your child's lifestyle?

Regarding the HV battery, in general lithium batteries are best stored at around 50%. But as Drew mentions it slightly depends on how long long is... If it is very long, then a higher percentage (e.g. 70%) may be worthwhile to account for self-discharge.

If I remember correctly, my dealer's certified Leaf technician said my 2012 Leaf could be stored for a year at 80% charge on the HV battery.
I still checked every few months and found the 12 volt battery needed recharging. The HV battery could not be charged without recharging the 12 volt battery. The HV battery was still good every time and required less than an hour to recharge to 80% using Level 1 charge.
I removed the license tags due to loss of range more than a year ago.

I leave my Leaf at ~ 50% charge on the HV battery and a trickle charger on the 12 volt battery for months at a time. Due to the slight draw on the 12 volt battery due to remote diagnostics, the car will draw down the 12 volt battery in a few weeks. I have not noted any draw down of the HV battery in these circumstances. I see no need to charge the HV battery weekly as you suggested. If you can't put a trickle charger on the 12 volt battery, just disconnect it as suggested by cornbinder89.

I left my 2012 at 80% charge, unexpectedly, for 6 months - it had only lost 1%SOC when I got back to using it again ......
#NissanLeafPhoenix [darned 12v batteries!!]

Thanks for the inputs. The 12v battery is sitting at about 12v so I just it on the trickle charger.

Why not leave the vehicle plugged in with a timer so that it can charge as needed for 15 minutes a day?. I am assuming it will only charge if it is below the 50-75% set point you pick.

Why not leave the vehicle plugged in with a timer so that it can charge as needed for 15 minutes a day?. I am assuming it will only charge if it is below the 50-75% set point you pick.
No need to use a timer, since the traction battery has very little self draining, it can go months and not lose much SOC. On the other hand, the 12 V battery has constant discharge due to remote diagnostics so it needs to be protected either with a maintainer or by disconnecting it according to the instructions in the manual.

On the 2018 and later won't the every 24 hour12V batter charge cycle keep it topped off?
Some say yes but I've had two experiences where 2018 Leafs failed to maintain the 12 V battery when left for a few weeks to a month unattended. In both cases, the HV battery was about 50% SOC but upon returning, the 12 V battery was dead, couldn't even open the door with the remote FOB. Perhaps these were flukes or there has been a software update to address this?

My battery is going on 30 months old and to be safe I carry a 20Ah chargeable battery with auto battery post clips. It's also nice as it has USB C to charge other devices in the car without using the car's power. And it has a flashlight. I have already jumped a Pathfinder twice in the same day, so it will help a stranded ICE vehicle if I run into it. It still had 91% after doing that.

No need to use a timer, since the traction battery has very little self draining, it can go months and not lose much SOC. On the other hand, the 12 V battery has constant discharge due to remote diagnostics so it needs to be protected either with a maintainer or by disconnecting it according to the instructions in the manual.
I don’t know whether to start a new thread, but I’m thinking of buying a used leaf with 45+ miles of range as a second car that we’d use 6 months a year and let it sit 6 months. Good idea? I tried to talk my 93 yr old MIL into buying one for $2500. Now I can’t find one at that price.

I don’t know whether to start a new thread, but I’m thinking of buying a used leaf with 45+ miles of range as a second car that we’d use 6 months a year and let it sit 6 months. Good idea? I tried to talk my 93 yr old MIL into buying one for $2500. Now I can’t find one at that price.
There might be threads on this already? Without seeing the specific age, mileage, SOH, Hx, mV delta, etc., on the HV battery, I don't have enough experience with older Leafs to be able to advise you. Best of luck with your idea.

I'd confirm the range on a test drive, and then only consider if the actual range is at least 1.5 times the anticipated use.
If that is done, you have room for degradation, cold or hot weather and still have something useful. Also goes along way to ease range anxiety

for a 6 month sit, I'd disconnect both batteries and put a maintainer on the 12 volt for at least 1/2 the time it sits. Cuts the risk of fire if critter attack the wiring while sitting. I wouldn't worry about HV charging, but when I wanted to put in service, install the disconnect and give it a charge before heading out.

for a 6 month sit, I'd disconnect both batteries and put a maintainer on the 12 volt for at least 1/2 the time it sits.
I disagree: I would never pull the HV disconnect unless necessary for maintenance/service reasons (like removing/replacing the main pack). Leaving the main pack ~50% is fine for almost any long-term storage (days/weeks/months). In addition, don't leave an EVSE connected since this simply drains the 12v battery (many threads on this).
The real problem with long-term storage is the 12v battery (and that goes for any vehicle); no matter what you do (and I'm not a fan of maintainers), it will probably require a re-charge/re-place if not used for many months.

Back