Infiniti's All Electric concept

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drivesolo

No, not the Emerg-E but an all electric EV based on the Leaf platform:

infiniti628.jpg

According to Infiniti's product planning manager Sean McNamara, it will have a bigger pack than the Leaf's 24kWh w/ the focus on performance. Hopefully this will mean RWD too (wishful thinking on my part). Due around 2014 according to the article.

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/03/22/infiniti-releases-more-details-on-aggressive-all-electric-conc/

Why do you keep teasing us w/ this stuff Nissan?!? Why....?

Good stuff. Can't wait for details.

That time frame is within my timeline for replacing my LEAF when it comes off lease in 2014.

Let's see: Infiniti EV, BMW i3, something from Audi perhaps, Nissan ESFLOW, a smaller Tesla sedan perhaps...

Keep 'em coming, boys and girls.

From the article:

The extra energy is intended to improve performance, not range.

Despite the intent, it seems to me that range could be improved, as in any EV, by driving gently instead of aggressively. At least we would have the option, assuming that I'm correct, of greater range than a LEAF or greater acceleration.

Any thoughts from those more technically adept than I?

I like what I hear so far. I hope they keep it under $50k and and I'll have a possible Leaf replacement. Love driving an EV, I can live w/ the limitations of range but the lack of performance has me really wanting something to meet my needs.

What the heck did Infiniti do to this LEAF?

LE%2520Mule.jpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-infiniti-elecric-vehicle-spy-photos-future-cars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh, never mind. It's the Infiniti LE test mule.

Boomer23 said:
Despite the intent, it seems to me that range could be improved, as in any EV, by driving gently instead of aggressively.

Yes range would be improved if you were gentle.. not sure I trust that site too much.

Herm said:
Boomer23 said:
Despite the intent, it seems to me that range could be improved, as in any EV, by driving gently instead of aggressively.
Yes range would be improved if you were gentle.. not sure I trust that site too much.
Most definitely. I'm seeing the same effect with the ActiveE. With careful driving, I'm able to get very close to my Leaf's energy economy figures. Performance EVs will have some hypermiling potential, and performance can be traded for range to a large extent.

I'm very excited to see this new Infinity concept, and it seems like Nissan is on the right track here. Call me a heretic, but I'm starting to think that they should consider the one-pedal driving metaphor BMW is using. At first, I thought that it's something only car enthusiasts would appreciate, but it seems to have much wider appeal.

Well, we will get alot more information in about 2 weeks. Nissan/Infiniti concepts are pretty much production cars and the LE will be no different. Its a safe bet that 90-95% of what's on the stage in New York is what will be on the Infiniti showroom late 2013.

I'm a bit concerned that this Infiniti EV might borrow enough of the Leaf's platform that it will end up FWD as well. If it does, I believe that it will be the only FWD Infiniti has sold in the US since the I30 of the mid-90's. Not a very popular car from Infiniti due as a result. Seems like it wouldn't be too much work to make a FWD EV into a RWD EV, essentially making it a mid-engined like the Nismo Leaf RC. That would give it very good performance even if the hp is around the Leaf's output. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for a RWD platform.

RedLeader said:
I'm a bit concerned that this Infiniti EV might borrow enough of the Leaf's platform that it will end up FWD as well. If it does, I believe that it will be the only FWD Infiniti has sold in the US since the I30 of the mid-90's. Not a very popular car from Infiniti due as a result. Seems like it wouldn't be too much work to make a FWD EV into a RWD EV, essentially making it a mid-engined like the Nismo Leaf RC. That would give it very good performance even if the hp is around the Leaf's output. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for a RWD platform.

The Car and Driver article seems pretty clear that this will be a FWD car. I'm not pleased, but not surprised, since it would likely be too expensive for Nissan to completely re-invent the platform. I hope that the rear suspension will be independent, at least, unlike the LEAF's beam rear axle.

Platform: Infiniti’s sedan will share its front-wheel-drive underpinnings with the Nissan Leaf. Unlike that car, which is a traditional two-box hatchback, the Infiniti will be styled as a sleek fastback sedan.

RedLeader said:
I'm a bit concerned that this Infiniti EV might borrow enough of the Leaf's platform that it will end up FWD as well.

Next you will be asking for independent rear suspension also.. the Infinity will be a tarted up Leaf with a bigger motor and battery.

Most likely the modules will be reconfigured from a 2S2P configuration to a 2S3P.. thus increasing battery size/power/capacity by 1/3.. and very likely it will be somewhat affordable.

Herm said:
RedLeader said:
I'm a bit concerned that this Infiniti EV might borrow enough of the Leaf's platform that it will end up FWD as well.

Next you will be asking for independent rear suspension also.. the Infinity will be a tarted up Leaf with a bigger motor and battery.

Most likely the modules will be reconfigured from a 2S2P configuration to a 2S3P.. thus increasing battery size/power/capacity by 1/3.. and very likely it will be somewhat affordable.

They could do irs, Herm. After all, Infiniti tries to sell itself as a performance division.

Very sad... FWD Infiniti FTL. I recall the I-series from Infiniti, I wouldn't say it was a flop but one really wanted an over priced Maxima at that time. We'll looks like BMW's gets my vote. Let's hope their "I-series" fairs better than Nissan's.

The Nissan beam rear suspension really isn't all that bad. Nissan seems managed to make it work on the B13 & B15 Sentras.

The problem with a RWD electric is that you lose some brake regen potential due to weight transfer. I think most people dont care or know the difference.

Other than the one G series, what performance vehicles do they have? Their various lumbering SUVs and CUVs certainly are not. All the real performance vehicles are in the Nissan line (Z, GT-R)...
I'm always thought of Infiniti as Nissan's somewhat-failed attempt to compete with Toyota's Lexus in the luxury segment...

Boomer23 said:
After all, Infiniti tries to sell itself as a performance division.

"Performance" is a relative term when it comes to cars. The G-series from Infiniti certainly lives up to expectations but there was also the J-series which proceeded it that borrowed heavily from the 300Z and ZX platform (Z32) as well as the Silvia chassis (S13, S14, S15). Today there is the M35H which is regarded as the fastest production hybrid sedan. Infiniti also has also started it's own performance branding (the equivalent of "M" designation for Bimmers) IPL (Infiniti Performance Line) and is increasing it's involvement in motorsports such as Formula 1 substantially. The Infiniti's from the late 80's & 90's which were for the most part sub-par to Lexus and Acura in terms of build quality but w/ the exception of the NSX and the highest end SCXXX from Lexus, I believe Infiniti could match and beat anything that it was class compared to performance wise.

All that said, Infiniti is Nissans luxury division, not performance division. In a lot of instances consumers have the expectations of performance when it comes to luxury cars. Nismo is Nissan's performance division. IPL might be considered the Infiniti equivalent since Nismo is too racer-boy-ish now-a-days.

Drivesolo said:
"Performance" is a relative term when it comes to cars. The G-series from Infiniti certainly lives up to expectations but there was also the J-series which proceeded it that borrowed heavily from the 300Z and ZX platform (Z32) as well as the Silvia chassis (S13, S14, S15). Today there is the M35H which is regarded as the fastest production hybrid sedan. Infiniti also has also started it's own performance branding (the equivalent of "M" designation for Bimmers) IPL (Infiniti Performance Line) and is increasing it's involvement in motorsports such as Formula 1 substantially. The Infiniti's from the late 80's & 90's which were for the most part sub-par to Lexus and Acura in terms of build quality but w/ the exception of the NSX and the highest end SCXXX from Lexus, I believe Infiniti could match and beat anything that it was class compared to performance wise.

All that said, Infiniti is Nissans luxury division, not performance division. In a lot of instances consumers have the expectations of performance when it comes to luxury cars. Nismo is Nissan's performance division. IPL might be considered the Infiniti equivalent since Nismo is too racer-boy-ish now-a-days.

All of that, plus Infiniti has been exclusively rear wheel drive for decades, to compete with BMW and other German cars for performance honors, while Lexus tries to be all things to all luxury buyers, with their FWD ES being their largest seller AFAIK. The G Series is Infiniti's largest selling line, and they certainly sell performance with that sedan and coupe, and now with the IPL line, as drivesolo says.

RedLeader said:
Ahhh... this is unfortunate that it will be FWD.

Your crystal ball is as clear as mine.. but it is telling that they are testing the mechanicals in a Leaf. It looks like it will be a tarted up Leaf, more luxury and more performance but still not a Tesla S nor it should cost as much.. lets say the price it at $45k with a 36kWh pack?.. plus naugahyde and a fancy stereo.

Herm said:
It looks like it will be a tarted up Leaf, more luxury and more performance
That's actually not bad since the Leaf "tarted up" would be a nice car. IMHO RWD is over rated. With the batteries you can get the right balance without it, and, as you mention, FWD helps with regen.

My bigger question would be whether it still has one motor and a reduction gear. That's a weak point in the Leaf.

Back