Insurance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomorevw

Has anyone been able to get an accurate insurance quote yet? The only quote I’ve been able to get was based on an Altima Hybrid. My agent suggested that I need a VIN before they could do an actual quote for a LEAF…

How's the Prius insurance? It seems like they 'total out' pretty easily, and the Leaf will probably be the same. Cosmetic repair only, the rest is toast.

Insurance, sales tax, and Reg are two areas where the car will feel more like a $35k car than a $25k car, unfortunately.

my agent couldn't give me a quote without the VIN, but she said the rate would
probably just be tied to the MSRP. Kind of makes sense--if they have to replace
the car, that's about what you have to pay--no more government incentives.
Of course you'd have to wait a year :(

Called AAA, no VIN no quote. Since this is a massive roll out of delivered cars Nissan should get a VIN on the system insurance companies use if possible. AAA also gives a 5% discount on EVs.

EVDRIVER said:
Called AAA, no VIN no quote. Since this is a massive roll out of delivered cars Nissan should get a VIN on the system insurance companies use if possible. AAA also gives a 5% discount on EVs.

Farmer's Insurance also gives a 5% discount.

I read some where that Nissan was working with major insurance company and they agree to put a compact car price to start off. And will change as the accident rates come in as claims.

I called my insurance co. "geico" a few weeks ago. they went based on msrp of car before tax rebate. I am a 29yr old married male with no accidents and was quoted $54 per month for the necessary coverage limits for my lease. i was rather surprised they didn't give me that hard of a time quoting it and they also seemed to be very excited that I was the first leaf quote they had.
Aaron

eringo2659 said:
I called my insurance co. "geico" a few weeks ago.
I asked my Allstate agent and they had never heard of the car yet and didn't know anything about any "EV discounts." Not a good sign.

TT

I checked into insurance a couple months ago and did not find a company who would insure it. My guess is that I need to wait until LEAFs start arriving in the US, then have another try at it. I'm sure it will make a big difference when I go to them with a real VIN.

I'm probably going to change insurers when I get my LEAF after my nightmarish experience with GEICO in September; my car, as you may remember from a few posts in the forums last August, was severely damaged in August, and I took it to my mechanic to get fixed. They said it'd be a lot of work, so I called GEICO and they wanted to send it to their "special" body shop. They spent 2 weeks on it, but they drained the transmission fluid and never fixed the rack-and-pinion steering, the morons. You'd think when they drove it out to the lot for pickup they'd have at least noticed the lack of power steering at low speeds -- didn't notice the rack-and-pinion until I tried to enter the highway when I noticed the uneven give on the left and right wheel torque, but my mechanic knew! So I decided to get the mechanical problems fixed by my mechanic and dropped it off; the insurance agreed with a little arm-pulling. By this time it was mid-September and I was scheduled to leave for Beijing for a couple weeks. I returned my insurance-rental and headed over-seas. You you know what I found when I got back? The lazy-a** insurance company hadn't even authorized payment yet. They transferred it to a new agent after a week of nothing and that agent was just resting on his laurels for the second week. So I get back, and find out they haven't even started the work. Not only that, but they try and convince me I shouldn't be allowed to rent a car because my rental coverage was expiring! Irate. So I yelled my lungs out, got them to authorize the rental until the car was fixed and got the agent to work double-time to get the car in and out in no time. I finally got my car back on Tuesday the waning days of September.

Needless to say I do not wish to continue insuring with GEICO after this experience and will definitely look into one of those 5% EV discount policies come April when I take possession.

AAA insurance is very good, I have had many companies and they have been the best. If you need motorcycle then Geico is the way to go for the rates. I have home, auto and earthquake via AAA.

Nissan states that the battery pack and other components must be removed before doing any body work or painting. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1652 Of course after the body work and painting is complete Nissan will need to reinstall these components. Wouldn't this requirement increase the cost of Leaf body repairs, and thus also increase the cost of insurance?

Frank said:
Nissan states that the battery pack and other components must be removed before doing any body work or painting. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1652 Of course after the body work and painting is complete Nissan will need to reinstall these components. Wouldn't this requirement increase the cost of Leaf body repairs, and thus also increase the cost of insurance?

Not exactly, in the event of significant damage, clearly that is when the electrical system is compromised or the car will be subjected to extreme temperatures in a heat booth. This does not mean it will always happen and if your car is that badly damaged it will likely be at the dealer regardless. I think this is more of a liability and stupidity disclaimer.

EVDRIVER said:
AAA insurance is very good, I have had many companies and they have been the best. If you need motorcycle then Geico is the way to go for the rates. I have home, auto and earthquake via AAA.
My philosophy on Insurance companies is that profit-making companies bleed part of your money to feed their investors, while non-profits return it all in service to their customers. Assuming it is well run, a non-profit should provide better service per dollar you pay. AAA is non-profit, and we, too, have been satisfied customers for many years.

I liked AAA when it was just my wife and me as "the insured".
When the first of my three kids began to drive it was clear AAA didn't want to insure my kids, based on the massive premium increase (no tix, no accidents, A students). When it was time for kid #2 to drive, I looked around and found State Farm offered the same coverage for $2500/yr less. I switched and have been very happy since. Still have the AAA membership though. Worth it just for DMV services.

The "P" in the test-drive LEAF's VIN configuration part "AZOCP", would seem to indicate "passive" seatbelts only, no airbags.

So, these might not be retail-production LEAFs.

Back