Is Carwings glitchy for you?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer. Really wanted it today as temps were in the 30's. Since I had to go to the car in order to start the heat, I just moved from the garage to the driveway and let the sun heat for free. Yes, we sometimes get sunshine in December.

RegGuheert said:
FalconFour said:
It's a fairly safe guess that we're all seeing the same problem: it works, but only about 15-25% of the time, and when it does work, it takes a very long time to respond.
I don't think that is the case here. It simply has not worked since very early yesterday morning. The system accepts the commands saying they have been sent, but there is never an update nor do any other commands ever get executed.

I disagree. I'm getting "server not responding" error messages in addition to "no response from vehicle".

I've been thinking for a few days that the communications server has been melting down.

Where do I go to complain?

<edit>
Call 1-877-664-2738 (customer support under Contact in Carwings (Android))

BlacklickBob said:
I called Nissan Customer Service (877-664-2738) and the rep who answered said they are working on "server difficulties" and have for about a week. He did not have an estimate of time-to-repair, but offered to create a case and call me back when the problem(s) is(are) resolved. I accepted, and have an active case number on this. I'll post whatever further I learn.

Phone options:
1- options in English
then:
6- CARWINGS, telematics questions/concerns

I haven't been able to get an update all day, despite Nissan trying a remote reset of my Leaf's telematics. The servers at their end really seem to be toasted now....

I got a new error just now:
A server with the specified hostname could not be found.
This error occurred just after verifying my password on the iPad while it was trying to do the automatic update at startup. Strange!

RegGuheert said:
This error occurred just after verifying my password on the iPad while it was trying to do the automatic update at startup. Strange!
That's unrelated. That's your iPad having a glitchy network connection. :lol:

zowland said:
I haven't been able to get an update all day, despite Nissan trying a remote reset of my Leaf's telematics. The servers at their end really seem to be toasted now....
They did that with mine too. Still not working, and I've driven around all day like the guy suggested to get some information to send... :/

FalconFour said:
RegGuheert said:
I doubt that! At 1:00AM I rarely have any issues with the Internet. Last night was no exception.

Unless things get better, I suspect you will see this one, too.

RegGuheert said:
FalconFour said:
I doubt that! At 1:00AM I rarely have any issues with the Internet. Last night was no exception.

LOL. Nah. Host name not found means it couldn't resolve DNS - on your end, not Nissan's (unless by some complete fluke, Nissan's whole DNS system went down, which is their whole website and center of all IT operations, which is pretty damn unlikely). Most of the time that means your device was transitioning from 3G/4G connection to Wi-Fi and missed a connection... mobile devices always stumble over that. But yeah, that's an isolated problem, 100% certain of that. :lol:

FalconFour said:
RegGuheert said:
FalconFour said:

LOL. Nah. Host name not found means it couldn't resolve DNS - on your end, not Nissan's (unless by some complete fluke, Nissan's whole DNS system went down, which is their whole website and center of all IT operations, which is pretty damn unlikely). Most of the time that means your device was transitioning from 3G/4G connection to Wi-Fi and missed a connection... mobile devices always stumble over that. But yeah, that's an isolated problem, 100% certain of that. :lol:
Sorry, but I still think this was Carwings-specific. This was not a iOS system message, but rather it was a "NISSAN LEAF" message. Given the problems they are experiencing, it is not at all a stretch that their own servers are starting to struggle with DNS resolution.

Right, but the way the programming works is that it passes the error back to the application for the application (the Nissan LEAF app) to handle. It's up to the programmer to either have it silently say "well, there's no connection, I'll try again later", or to pop up an error message (its own error - hence the error you're getting) and say "Hey, something went wrong". Since a mobile device is typically "always connected", apps often produce full-blown errors for "wait, why am I NOT connected?". So it would be nice if they would word the error better instead of just passing the error back to the screen, but a "host not found" error is almost always a device problem. I'd say "trust me on this", but I grew out of my internet dickish days years ago, for the most part :lol:

I know we all really want to throw stones at Nissan for this whole Carwings/app thing, but not *every* glitch is their fault. I think this really is limited to just a communications server thing on their end, a problem that won't solve itself on Nissan's end (like some congestion problems would)...

I just bought my Leaf on Saturday the 15th, and I just thought the Carwing's connection abilities were a piece of crap! Good to hear that many other people are having the same issue!

Could not connect w/ Carwings this morning at all. Communications failed on 3 attempts to update. Went out to the car and the communications icon is white, not greyed out as it is when you need to reset the fuse. Pressed the map update button and got an error message of "Communication system is busy" or something like that. They are definitely having problems! don't know if it is AT&T or Nissan, but the system is not working well the last week or so for me. The other day I could get a slow response after 2-3 attempts, but nothing today.

TT

Still not able to connect (since 12/17) to get an update on current state of charge, etc. but interestingly enough, CW posted my mileage and usage for the 18th. Worse though (and I have to check that the significant other didn't push buttons, etc.) the car appeared to charge last night but the wife says that it shows the same range as when she parked it -- my car goes in next week for it's first year battery check so if this continues (and isn't a user error) I'll have them check it out although if this is strictly a communications connection issue probably won't be able to do much. It hasn'r really been all that cold (yet) to schedule a preheat, as well as could do that in the car, but hopefully they'll resolve this soon --

EDIT: CW still not working but at least what was mentioned above was user related ... car charged up fine last night

Doesn't look good today. No charge complete text or email; cc off failed (still stuck on from yesterday); no real expectation of being able to turn cc on when I leave for work later.

Seriously...this has been a week now. If I had one of my servers in this bad a shape for a whole week, I'd be gone. Fired.

Wow... I just realized there's a solution for a great many of the people here that use pre-heat from Carwings...

I've known about this, but from some of the replies I think this feature might not be evident to some. The car has a climate control timer built-into the car. In fact, I believe Carwings just remote-sets the timer in the car to "depart" 15 minutes from the moment you send it - as I believe the timer runs for 15 minutes when you remote-start it.

So you can get your pre-heating done if you have a routine schedule. It's under the "E"-button menu (that button below Seek/Track), then "Climate Control Timer". Just like charging timers, set a climate control timer for your "departure" time, and it'll be pre-heated (or cooled, if you're on the other end of the planet today) when you go out to the car to leave.

That saves you the hassle of Carwings, but has to be a predictable schedule. Myself, I have no schedule right now (yay, life in flux), so I rely 100% on Carwings to preheat/cool before leaving...

FalconFour said:
Wow... I just realized there's a solution for a great many of the people here that use pre-heat from Carwings...

I've known about this, but from some of the replies I think this feature might not be evident to some. The car has a climate control timer built-into the car. In fact, I believe Carwings just remote-sets the timer in the car to "depart" 15 minutes from the moment you send it - as I believe the timer runs for 15 minutes when you remote-start it.

So you can get your pre-heating done if you have a routine schedule. It's under the "E"-button menu (that button below Seek/Track), then "Climate Control Timer". Just like charging timers, set a climate control timer for your "departure" time, and it'll be pre-heated (or cooled, if you're on the other end of the planet today) when you go out to the car to leave.

That saves you the hassle of Carwings, but has to be a predictable schedule. Myself, I have no schedule right now (yay, life in flux), so I rely 100% on Carwings to preheat/cool before leaving...

This is what I've been using this week since Carwings is not working. Does anyone know what time display it uses? For some strange reason it seems to be starting the climate control around 7:00am even though I've got it set for 7:20am. When I come out to the car at 7:40, it has already cut off.

Last winter I relied on the car's timer, but we have not yet settled into our full winter pattern yet. One morning it might be 27 degrees, the next it might be 48 degrees (or even 51! in December, here, that is odd). So I was waiting on setting the preheat from the car's system until I really needed it.

However, with the phone app being unreliable, I may have to resort to it. I had not reported before, but I also have been having trouble depending on using the phone app to start the preheat. ARGH.

DarrylHowell said:
This is what I've been using this week since Carwings is not working. Does anyone know what time display it uses? For some strange reason it seems to be starting the climate control around 7:00am even though I've got it set for 7:20am. When I come out to the car at 7:40, it has already cut off.
That was the rest of my explanation. :lol:

It's not "turn on at this time", it's "I'm leaving at this time". Set it to 7:40 and you should have a warm car when you leave :D

nlagnew said:
I had not reported before, but I also have been having trouble depending on using the phone app to start the preheat. ARGH.
They're both the same system - neither the app nor the website sends commands "directly" to the car - they both send commands to the same Carwings interface server. That's the server that's the fault here.

Since the app and the website both talk to the same machine, when that machine is screwed up, both the site and the app exhibit the same problems - if you try it on one and it failed, then try it on the other and it worked, it's just because that second request was one that succeeded. Try that same test twice and you'll always get a different result ;)

Carwings was really irritating this morning. I have the charging timer set to complete by 6:30 a.m. and the climate control timer set to warm the car prior to my 8:00 a.m. departure. Last night, I was tired and forgot to plug in my car before going to bed. I plugged it in this morning and pushed the timer override buttun to get a little charging in. I later pushed the stop button on the EVSE so I could turn on climate control (maybe I didn't have to do that?). As I was getting ready, I tried to get Carwings to turn on the climate control several times, to no avail. I tried it multiple times through LEAFlink, no luck there either. A couple minutes before 8:00 a.m., I unplugged the car. I was running late, so I went to grab a few essentials before leaving and BINGO, I got a text alert that climate control had turned on. Nooooo! :eek: I didn't want pre-heating from the battery, I wanted it from the wall! Stop!!!!! WTH? Was unplugging the car the trigger that allowed the climate control signal to complete??? I hadn't wanted to negate the charging I'd just done by heating the car using the battery, but that's probably what occurred.

What a clusterflub...and it's not even Monday. :x

oh, heck... I hadn't even tried from the computer/website instead of the phone... who has time to get onto the website first thing in the morning when getting all those other tasks done? (probably someone who gets up 15 minutes earlier and has a relaxed pace through their morning; that group of people does not include me ;) ).

No, if I'm going to turn on the pre-heat, it is either go out and turn it on in the car or use the phone.
It's great when it works. I was trying to hold out until after the winter break (my company closes between Christmas and New Year's) to set the car's timer. Only two more days to muddle through (or feel the cold)...

Inland Empire, southern california been down like everybody else.
reset carwings in car to default and still not working. updates take too long, no charge status sms or near charging station messages.
now here is my troublehsooting side.

I have an iphone 5. yesterday it switched to LTE when we didn't have LTE coverage here before?????
i read in a few places before that carriers were hoping legacy 2g customers would cancel services to free up frequencies for LTE???
i was also told that the leaf cellular radios are 2g only?
speculations at this point but could we be having 2g issues with AT&T?
anybody has a 2g phone that can confirm if it's still working?

Back