Is there a Z-wave compatible Level-2 Charger out there?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alteredshadow

Is there a Level-2 charger out there that is wirelessly compatible with home automation systems (preferably z-wave)? Since my power company has a special EV electricity rate plan, I want to create a timer to enable/disable the charger at certain times of the day.

Of course this is possible using a wall outlet timer or even a heavy duty z-wave enabled switch (http://goo.gl/s9gTLp) but it would be nifty if there was a charger that already had the tech built in.

I just got an email that ChargePoint is working on "the world's most advanced EV home charging station" which includes the ability to "Remotely start, schedule and set charging reminders with your mobile app". It would be great if this used a open protocol like z-wave but the pragmatist in me assumes it will be proprietary.

My ultimate goal is to have everything in my home running from a central "smart home" gateway where I can monitor, program and schedule everything in the home like EV charging, lights, door locks, security cams, etc.

With OpenEVSE (with the RTC option), you can set a timer for your TOU rates. Disabling the timer just requires you to hit a button. I'm not on TOU but it's been working out good for me (just trying to be a good grid citizen by charging later at night).

JeremyW said:
With OpenEVSE (with the RTC option), you can set a timer for your TOU rates. Disabling the timer just requires you to hit a button. I'm not on TOU but it's been working out good for me (just trying to be a good grid citizen by charging later at night).

Neat, I like these kits. What's RTC?

Like JeremyW I charge late at night just to be a good citizen. My city, Anaheim has their own power and I get only two rates, Lifeline and non-lifeline.

Unless I need to go somewhere I just plug in my OpenEVSE and let the timer take over. In the morning it is fully charged and I do not strain the grid.

If I was i an Edison area I would still charge late at night to save money. For my city I just want to be a good citizen.

alteredshadow said:
Is there a Level-2 charger out there that is wirelessly compatible with home automation systems (preferably z-wave)? Since my power company has a special EV electricity rate plan, I want to create a timer to enable/disable the charger at certain times of the day.

Of course this is possible using a wall outlet timer or even a heavy duty z-wave enabled switch (http://goo.gl/s9gTLp) but it would be nifty if there was a charger that already had the tech built in.

I just got an email that ChargePoint is working on "the world's most advanced EV home charging station" which includes the ability to "Remotely start, schedule and set charging reminders with your mobile app". It would be great if this used a open protocol like z-wave but the pragmatist in me assumes it will be proprietary.

My ultimate goal is to have everything in my home running from a central "smart home" gateway where I can monitor, program and schedule everything in the home like EV charging, lights, door locks, security cams, etc.

Be aware that some L2 stations, such as the Leviton, do not take kindly to being plugged into a vehicle with no power on the EVSE and then being powered up (as with a timer or z-wave switch) you suggested.

Leviton calls this "cold load pickup" and if the cable is plugged into the car before the power up self test is completed (thus anytime power is not on the unit such as a power failure, plugging in before allowing the power on self test (6 sec) to complete, or when applying power via a timer), then the unit waits a random two to fifteen minutes to begin charging.

Cold Load Pick-up
If there is a power outage, the utility grid might experience a large surge from multiple Charging Stations in your
area attempting to resume charging simultaneously when power is restored. This would cause additional stress
to the utility grid. The “Cold Load Pickup” feature avoids this scenario by resuming charge with an automatic delay
after restoration of power. Cold Load Pickup ensure that Charging Station users in your area will resume charging
in a staggered fashion to avoid stressing the grid. If a utility power outage occurs while your vehicle is being
charged, the charging station will automatically resume charging once power is returned.

CharlesinGA said:
alteredshadow said:

Be aware that some L2 stations, such as the Leviton, do not take kindly to being plugged into a vehicle with no power on the EVSE and then being powered up (as with a timer or z-wave switch) you suggested.

Leviton calls this "cold load pickup" and if the cable is plugged into the car before the power up self test is completed (thus anytime power is not on the unit such as a power failure, plugging in before allowing the power on self test (6 sec) to complete, or when applying power via a timer), then the unit waits a random two to fifteen minutes to begin charging.

Cold Load Pick-up
If there is a power outage, the utility grid might experience a large surge from multiple Charging Stations in your
area attempting to resume charging simultaneously when power is restored. This would cause additional stress
to the utility grid. The “Cold Load Pickup” feature avoids this scenario by resuming charge with an automatic delay
after restoration of power. Cold Load Pickup ensure that Charging Station users in your area will resume charging
in a staggered fashion to avoid stressing the grid. If a utility power outage occurs while your vehicle is being
charged, the charging station will automatically resume charging once power is returned.

The fact that nissan did not build in the ability to set charge time parameters is ridiculous. Other EV's have this ability like the BMW i3. Regardless, having the unit wait up to 15 minutes before starting ultimately makes no difference to me. Regardless, I appreciate the information, as it is something I will definitely ask the manufacturer about before making a purchase, unless a company comes out with a "smart" charger that has this ability built in.

JeremyW mentioned OpenEVSE with RTC option but I can't find that on their website...

EDIT: OK, just figured out that their latest model comes with the RTC already installed. Now the question is, does the default firmware allow for this programming of charge times?

Siemens VersiChage has a disable charging input which you could also/certainly use to control when it charges your vehicle. Some of the original Clipper Creeks (large enclosure) have a remote disable. Siemens also has a 2-4-6-8 hour delay setting on the front panel. I believe there's at least a couple more commercial EVSEs w delay from the front panel (Bosch?, Schneider)

You asked about Z-wave, but there's also a(allegedly) a Siemens VersiCharge version with Zigbee that can talk to utility meters (and measure the power consumed?).

srl99 said:
Siemens VersiChage has a disable charging input which you could also/certainly use to control when it charges your vehicle. Some of the original Clipper Creeks (large enclosure) have a remote disable. Siemens also has a 2-4-6-8 hour delay setting on the front panel. I believe there's at least a couple more commercial EVSEs w delay from the front panel (Bosch?, Schneider)

You asked about Z-wave, but there's also a(allegedly) a Siemens VersiCharge version with Zigbee that can talk to utility meters (and measure the power consumed?).

Yea, any popular wireless technology is doable. I am trying to work it into my home automation network. I think the best I am going to get at this point is the charge delay feature.

Back