J.D. Power New Vehicle Quality Survey

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

OK I need some help here, it seems somebody needs to update their survey for electric cars:

Transmission type: Manual/Automatic/CVT - I guess automatic, although CVT seems closer
Your average miles-per-gallon: You have to enter a two digit number, should I put 99 ?

Does the Leaf have high intensity headlights? They seem pretty bright to me

Does your new vehicle have tires/rims ? Uh, yeah

Rear seat entertainment? College memories notwithstanding, and not the fact that you can hear the radio from the back seat too, I assume the answer is no.

Things that go wrong (checked none of these of course):
Engine cranks too long before starting, doesn't start at all, idle problem ,Stumbles/hesitates, stalls, loses power, abnormal noises, oil consumption, exhaust system problem, fluid leaks, excessive fuel consumption

Transmission shifts roughly, hesitates between gears, slips, shifts at wrong times

Wow, how do people put up with all that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Two things I did ding it on... HVAC controls difficult to understand/use and heater doesn't get hot enough fast enough

At least I got a crisp dollar bill out of the deal!

This is hilarious!!! I received the same survey today and called them to tell them that it would be nice to fill it out but there were too many questions that do not apply to us... They say they are working on a new survey for the future...

High intensity headlights must refer to HID (a.k.a. "Xenon") headlamps. Yawn --- that's like, soooo 2010. :roll:

The rest was cracking me up.

That reminds me, I've got to take some time to earn my $1.

Just filled this survey in today. For transmission, I put "automatic". For MPG, I put "N/A". :) I put "heater doesn't get hot fast enough" as well.

They must bulk mail these as I got one too -- I believe we have what's considered a CVT as there are no shift points like a 'normal' automatic, I would consider the headlights high intensity as they may not be HID's but are LED's which are much brighter than regular halogens (could be wrong but again JD Power needs to update their survey) -- I didn't mark them down for anything wrong as I've gotten used to the way Nissan has designed their stuff (first Nissan like a lot of other people); the 'gas' mileage was a joke as well and put 99 for it for lack of a better way to list it. At least this one was a quick one versus others that simply want too much info that gets a little too personal for me --

Yeah I answered CVT on the transmission question. Whoever designed that goofy JD Power form must be living in the 70's? :lol:

I just declined to answer the questions which had no correct answer available, and for the "other problems" category I noted the deficiencies in their form.

A CVT is a constantly variable transmission, I believe the LEAF has a single speed, non variable transmission.

Hilarious, thanks for sharing.

If I ever receive something like that, I'll use Nubo's tact of using the "other problems" category and noting their form has problems.

Another option would be to send a quick note along with the survey, something a "human" will read and file. The survey is machine-readable and it probably gets destroyed after being scanned.

I left the transmission question blank and used "NA" for mileage although I considered "99"). I also used one of the comments toward the end to explain that the survey didn't apply properly to electric cars such as the LEAF.

The only demerit I gave was dated/incomplete maps on the nav system, which I consider a minor annoyance. As a suggestion for improvement I mentioned the inability to turn off the heat when using CC system, but it does work well and I love the preheating capability. No initial quality issues on my LEAF at all.

DurkaDurka said:
A CVT is a constantly variable transmission, I believe the LEAF has a single speed, non variable transmission.

A transmission is needed for changing gear ratios. I think the term for what the LEAF has is "Transfer Case".

FWIW I just received mine today and they must have updated the survey for the LEAF. It had a few of the funny lines you all have put but the majority of them were gone.

For transmission they only had the options of "Manual (requires a clutch)" and "Automatic (does not require a clutch)." I had to choose one so I chose Automatic. Then at the end of that section I commented that they should update it because the LEAF does not have an "engine or transmission - it has a MOTOR that goes forwards and reverse." But I doubt they'll get it ;-)

By the way, when I told someone that I took this survey for $1, they asked, "What can $1 buy these days?" I respond, "about 75-100 miles of driving."

EricBayArea said:
I had to choose one so I chose Automatic.

you have to choose one?

ruh, roh!

I skipped that one!

black_helicopters.jpg

:lol:

Nubo said:
EricBayArea said:
I had to choose one so I chose Automatic.

you have to choose one?

ruh, roh!

I skipped that one!

Unfortunately yes. As I said, I think they updated the survey from what I read on here of what other's saw. Mine had mentions of "expected range," "charging times," and "e-fuel."

Nubo said:
I think the term for what the LEAF has is "Transfer Case".
I have a transfer case in my truck to transfer power to both driveshafts when needed.
For Leaf I prefer single speed gearbox, transaxle, or simply a differential.
Can't be CVT as ratio never varies.
Can't be a manual as there is nothing to manually do.
Automatic sorta works but is a poor description as there is nothing really automated about it.

Back