Just bought a 2019 Leaf SL plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rpiotro said:
Why not just use the charger the car came with? Because you want an outdoor mounting? That is the only reason I can think of. The provided EVSE has the NEMA 14-50 "RV" plug already and will provide peak compatibility.

The only downside is it is not intended for use in sun, wind and rain. I have mine mounted it my garage.

,,,and you just answered that question. :D

knightmb said:
There is a way to cheat (kind of), drive around a little so the tire sensors are active (but not so much as to heat up the tires so they stay cold). Come back to your home and park with the vehicle still on, then either use the dash (Gen 2) to monitor the tire pressure or LeafSpy (Gen 1) to monitor tire pressure while you add more air. :cool:

Or use a tire gauge.

A weatherproof box could be used to keep the Nissan EVSE in, for outdoor use:

https://amzn.to/31O2yHK

41VsFodFgRL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

It doesn't even have to be completely enclosed - it just has to keep rain or snow from falling directly on to the EVSE. The only protection mine has is a slight overhang of the garage roof.

LeftieBiker said:
I use an inflator with a built in gauge.

I was going to say that, but well, maybe they live 100 miles from any major city :lol: Seems all the new ones come with digital gauges that are pretty accurate now (well close enough).

Drove the Leaf to work this morning in eco mode, B mode engaged, E-pedal turned on and no climate control turned on. It's a ten mile commute and I used up only 7 miles of range. :D

EVDean said:
Drove the Leaf to work this morning in eco mode, B mode engaged, E-pedal turned on and no climate control turned on. It's a ten mile commute and I used up only 7 miles of range. :D

Now you are just showing off! :mrgreen:
Reset your miles per kilowatt hours for the trip and see what the highest number you can get, it will give you some hard data to work with and some comparison of the power usage to and fro on your commute for example.

If you want to learn how to squeeze more look up hypermiling. A reasonably good one to work on is pulse and glide. Basically you gradually accelerate a bit above the speed limit maybe 10 above (the pulse) then coast not allowing regen to kick in to a little below the speed limit say 10 below that is the glide and repeat. Your average speed will be the speed limit (or other target speed). Be aware of other traffic. This method is more suited to long distance driving. Around town I'd not do as much but methods are things like how you corner, how you anticipate stops, how hard you accelerate etc. etc. I really did this a lot for like 10 years but I only do it on long driving now which allows me to take the LEAF beyond the rated range without depleting the battery. This means no cruise control and a degree of attention that is not for everyone.

If the "coast" is downhill, gaining speed, then the slowdown is uphill conserving energy, this will work. On the flat, hard to see the advantage.

Back