Lamo Leaf driver doing 50 mph in 2nd lane in heavy traffic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
In much of Europe, particularly Germany, the number 1 lane is for passing only. You are NOT to loiter there regardless of how fast you are going. That is as it should be and how I try to drive, even if driving briskly. The U.S., frankly, is comprised largely of drivers who are, at best, minimally qualified and competent...
+3. I love driving in Germany, even though I rarely speed there (b/c I have no idea where I'm going), I just feel safer as all the drivers are so damned organized. Four way stop signs work efficiently, roundabouts function, and the left lane is always available if you need it.

speeding doesn't grant a right-of-way. you are absolutely 100% correct in this. however, when everyone is speeding (hwy 285 the speed limit is 55. I have done this multiple times. it is scary. avg speed is around 70-75) it falls back on are you the slower car. i'm not saying that speeders should get their way, but I do feel that courteousness would go a long way towards traffic jams.

ztanos said:
speeding doesn't grant a right-of-way. you are absolutely 100% correct in this. however, when everyone is speeding (hwy 285 the speed limit is 55. I have done this multiple times. it is scary. avg speed is around 70-75) it falls back on are you the slower car. i'm not saying that speeders should get their way, but I do feel that courteousness would go a long way towards traffic jams.

I agree, courteousness can go a long way. The place where it falls apart, imho, is the definition of "while passing". It's a judgement call. If one is in the left lane at 75 and right lane has 65mph traffic and is fairly well-populated, then the left-lane driver is in a fairly perpetual state of passing. Are they obligated to slow down and pull to the right at every opportunity? To the point of perpetually changing lanes, darting in and out of every gap? The people on the left driving 80 and 85mph often seem to think so. This is where the judgement call of "reasonableness" comes in.

In my view, that decision is to be made by the person in front. Their judgement may not match the desire of the person behind. The person in front has the right of way. Unfortunately in these conditions where wishes collide, the typical American behavior is for the driver behind to exhibit their displeasure by tailgating and bullying with escalating intensity. This is extremely rude and dangerous behavior and flies against all arguments of "civilized traffic" and courtesy.

Courtesy goes both ways.

TomT said:
In much of Europe, particularly Germany, the number 1 lane is for passing only. You are NOT to loiter there regardless of how fast you are going. That is as it should be and how I try to drive, even if driving briskly. The U.S., frankly, is comprised largely of drivers who are, at best, minimally qualified and competent...

Very true. There is a larger spread of polar opposites when it comes to US drivers. There are those who prefer to travel 20 miles above the speed limit and those that prefer to travel 10 miles below the posted limit. Poor driver education is really to blame. I've heard people express how they've observed Leaf drivers being at the slower end of the spectrum. This is most likely due to the type of people that buy the Leaf. Most Leaf owners would in no way be considered autmotive officanados, or have an interest in anything associated to automotive lifestyle outside of their Leafs. It is a little comforting to know that on this forum there are atleast a few exceptions to this rule. But for the most part; Leaf owners are woefully slow drivers due to poor skillsets. There's nothing those of us that are troubled by that fact can do to change that.

RedLeader said:
But for the most part; Leaf owners are woefully slow drivers due to poor skillsets. There's nothing those of us that are troubled by that fact can do to change that.
I can easily drive 15 MPH faster (67 MPH instead of 52 MPH), and wouldn't feel the least bit anxious doing so. There are other reasons besides a "poor skillset" that someone would drive slower. Number one would be to increase energy efficiency (my reason). As a side benefit, I find myself a lot more relaxed not rushing to get somewhere. I don't miss my old driving style at all.

RedLeader said:
Most Leaf owners would in no way be considered autmotive officanados, or have an interest in anything associated to automotive lifestyle outside of their Leafs.
As one who derives more pleasure from bicycling than driving, I do resemble that remark. Exhaust fumes are disgusting. The only truly cool automobiles are EVs. :D

RedLeader said:
But for the most part; Leaf owners are woefully slow drivers due to poor skillsets. There's nothing those of us that are troubled by that fact can do to change that.
Actually, "eco" driving (which I regularly practice to extend my LEAF's range) takes more skill and finesse than "bat out of hell" driving. Trust me, I've done both.

TomT said:
I dont take the "German excuse" with anything but scorn.
We dont live or drive our Leafs there.

Stoaty said:
I can easily drive 15 MPH faster (67 MPH instead of 52 MPH), and wouldn't feel the least bit anxious doing so. There are other reasons besides a "poor skillset" that someone would drive slower. Number one would be to increase energy efficiency (my reason). As a side benefit, I find myself a lot more relaxed not rushing to get somewhere. I don't miss my old driving style at all.

abasile said:
Actually, "eco" driving (which I regularly practice to extend my LEAF's range) takes more skill and finesse than "bat out of hell" driving. Trust me, I've done both.

What Red Leader stated is correct. What's worse than someone who is incapable behind the wheel of a car (under given conditions) is one who is incapable behind the wheel of a car (under given conditions) but is not aware of their own limitations. I am NOT saying that in an attempt to be offensive. There are some people who are not comfortable driving like everyone else, this is normal but the that stems only from one (or both) of two things; lack of confidence or limits in ability.

Barring mechanical and/or environmental conditions, there is no legitimate justification to be driving as slow on the freeway, as some have stated here, for any reason other than an ill planned situation regarding range. And even then, the use of surface streets will almost always yield better range than freeway speeds. To argue that it is to save $ is a weak argument to make since the cost of driving 60mph or 50mph for a few miles on a highway is literally pennies, no mater how much electricity costs in your area. If you were able to afford a Leaf, you are not in a situation where this would make any difference in your life.

If you want to use the argument that you find it entertaining to see how much range you can eek out of a Leaf, that's fine. But just as w/ spirited driving, you should not attempt to do that in a situation where you actions can inconvenience or create a hazard to anyone.

RedLeader said:

LOL... I would be offended by that statement, if it weren't so obviously true. Oh man... I can see all sorts of fun that opponents of the Leaf and EVs would have w/ this thread if they ever come across it.

Drivesolo said:
Barring mechanical and/or environmental conditions, there is no legitimate justification to be driving as slow on the freeway, as some have stated here, for any reason other than an ill planned situation regarding range.
I don't need a justification, but if you want one, here it is--decreasing my greenhouse gas emissions by about 30% compared to "normal" driving. By the way, I often encounter trucks in the right lane that require me to slow down further so I don't run into them. A large part of my trip home this evening was at 30-40 MPH, because that is how fast the traffic was moving in all lanes.

Driving 55 mph on the freeway is not only reasonable, it is in fact the legal limit for big trucks. Yes of course this should be done in the 2 right lanes for courtesy to all those drivers in a hurry.

I drive 70 -80 mph in my Leaf all the time except when freeway traffic is going 5 - 40 mph and when I am going the distance. Yesterday I drove 100 miles on the freeway in my Leaf with the cruze control set at 56 mph. I did this so I could make the trip with only a short 10 minute stop at the dc fast charger 70 miles into the journey. Other drivers pulled up behind me and followed for 10+ mile stretches. Driving 55 mph on the freeway is relaxing and safe, driving 50 on the freeway is dangerous.

I determine the speed I will drive - up to about 5 mph or so over the limit - based on how much range I need on a given day. If I need to stretch range, I will slow down; if not, "engine room, full speed ahead!"

TomT said:
I determine the speed I will drive - up to about 5 mph or so over the limit - based on how much range I need on a given day. If I need to stretch range, I will slow down; if not, "engine room, full speed ahead!"

Yes exactly. When going the distance speed should be reduced in the Leaf otherwise, vroom vroom. I would rather see a Leaf driving slowly then out of a charge on the side of the freeway.

All this talk about how it looks and the anti EV image and backlash a slow Leaf produces is ridiculous. Who cares what haters think about the Leaf.

EVDrive said:
All this talk about how it looks and the anti EV image and backlash a slow Leaf produces is ridiculous. Who cares what haters think about the Leaf.
Agreed. Today one of the security guards at my workplace asked about the Leaf. He was thinking about buying one, had actually test driven one at a dealer. It turned out that his commute was about 60 miles one way, with no L2 charging available at work. I suggested that a Prius would be a better fit for him.

I slowed most of my driving to 60 mph four or five years ago, long before I ever heard of the LEAF. I did it because I care about the kind of world we are passing on to future generations. On rare occasions, in critical situations, I drive faster than that -- much faster, in fact. I can tell you from personal experience that my LEAF has no trouble at all getting up to 85. I feel insulted by any insinuation that I drive slowly because I am afraid to drive faster.

Ray

planet4ever said:
I slowed most of my driving to 60 mph four or five years ago, long before I ever heard of the LEAF. I did it because I care about the kind of world we are passing on to future generations. On rare occasions, in critical situations, I drive faster than that -- much faster, in fact. I can tell you from personal experience that my LEAF has no trouble at all getting up to 85. I feel insulted by any insinuation that I drive slowly because I am afraid to drive faster.
Yes, I forgot to mention that on returning from a recent vacation to Utah we got to the airport in St. George an hour before the flight left, only to find that my friend had left her wallet in the hotel. I had no problem driving 90 MPH back to the hotel and then back to the airport. We just barely made the flight. Back in L.A., I settled into my routine slow and serene driving.

In the words of Marty McFly "Ain't nobody call me chicken."

planet4ever said:

Ray

Some years back, when I picked up a new BMW at the factory, they told me that it was fine to drive fast on the Autobahn but not to maintain a constant speed of more than 137 mph for the first 1,000 miles... I have to admit that I felt much safer cruising along at 130 there then I do at here at 65...

If you are trying to reduce GHG the. You should care about the haters. The more people that get negative impressions about EVs the less likely they are to buy them themselves. The best thing you can do is show how "normal" these cars are and get others to consider them. Every one you convert will save a lot more than the 30% you save driving annoyingly slow.

As I said in a previous post, I often have to slow down for vehicles ahead of me that aren't going as fast as I am. I am not keeping anyone from driving faster. There is plenty of room for others to drive in the 3 left lanes. I am not a car salesman. EV will sell themselves as gas gets more expensive and EV get cheaper and/or get batteries with longer range. It took the Prius about 10 years to really achieve mass adoption. Probably will be the same for EV. There are two ways to reduce GHG emissions. The most important is with federal and state policies/laws that steer the choices in the right direction. The other way is to actually use less yourself. The former I support with my votes/campaign contributions. The latter I try to put into practice in my own usage. To that end, I got our HOA to retrofit our lighting with T5 fluorescents instead of T12. Our usage went from 90 kWh per day to 60 kWh per day. Next on the agenda (when we have to replace the roof) is to get solar installed. I don't think the way I drive will have any effect on EV sales. I do, however, talk enthusiastically (but realistically) to anyone who asks about my Leaf.

Cheezmo said:
If you are trying to reduce GHG the. You should care about the haters. The more people that get negative impressions about EVs the less likely they are to buy them themselves. The best thing you can do is show how "normal" these cars are and get others to consider them. Every one you convert will save a lot more than the 30% you save driving annoyingly slow.

This is from owners manual, I believe Nissan is very interested in selling as many EV as possible

NISSAN recommends you use the following driving and charging habits, where possible, to help maximize the battery’s useful life:
Moderate driving.
Use of ECO mode
I think above is included for a reason.

Back