LAX parking not free starting March 1

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are ways to protect the brick and the connector, I think there is a thread elsewhere on that topic.

LAX should give a discounted rate for parking in the lots that have already got the chargers. We should lobby for the same rate as the remote lots charge, but only for pure electric vehicles. Sorry PIP and VOLT owners, but the need is not as great for you.

Charging in the remote lots - lobby to get L1 outlets at every lightpost, with EV parking signs. This would cost less, and would benefit the long term parking most of us do. It would also generate income from the people that would park in the spaces in non-EV vehicles.

They also recently stopped allowing people access to parking lot B. That was my place to park pre EV, it was cheaper and the employees used it. Perhaps we could share that lot, and get some L2 spaces there.

As for the off site parking places, it would take some scouting. The ones I have used in the past are not much more than asphalt, and getting the power might be hard.

I am actually glad it finally happened, now I'll have a peace of mind coming to LAX knowing there will be a place to charge when I need to pick someone up. Free parking was good while it lasted, and we should be thankful for it. Frankly, I don't quite understand why people here assume EV drivers should get special treatment.

I didn't expect it. But I sure did think it was a sweet deal!

Oh well, back to parking at the office for me and getting a cab over to the airport. Unless it's just an overnight trip, in which case I'll recommence using The Parking Spot. Sigh.

Valdemar said:
I am actually glad it finally happened, now I'll have a peace of mind coming to LAX knowing there will be a place to charge when I need to pick someone up. Free parking was good while it lasted, and we should be thankful for it. Frankly, I don't quite understand why people here assume EV drivers should get special treatment.

'cause we are not polluting/polluting less and the city of la is trying to encourage EV usage. just ck out what dwp is giving away in incentives. lax is dept. of city of la, just as is dwp.

i have read the thread on protecting the brick, and i am not a fan of those techniques. but your are free to expose yours as you see fit.

Valdemar said:
I don't see it as special treatment as much as accomodating. I don't have the fast charge option, so for me to get to LAX and back it requires at least a couple of hours of L2. Access to that is all I ask for. It could be in the parking lot furthest away, in the last spaces in the lot, and I would be satisfied. I suppose I could get to the airport that much earlier, and then move the car after a couple hours, but $30 is a ridiculous amount to charge for that, even if the charge itself is free. They made a special area for cell phone access (Wait there till you are called to go pick them up) so I don't see why you don't just use that. That would be the place to put in a QC or even a couple L2 spaces that can only be used for charging.

You'd be paying $7 for using the short term structure for 2 hrs, not $30. While it is a steep price for ~6 or even ~12 kWh on L2 the main problem remains to be the inconvenience of having to move your car afterwards. I don't see any good solution for long-term parking situations apart from them offering a couple of QC stations in the remote parking lots even if they have to charge a nominal fee for using them.

Valdemar said:
You'd be paying $7 for using the short term structure for 2 hrs, not $30. While it is a steep price for ~6 or even ~12 kWh on L2 the main problem remains to be the inconvenience of having to move your car afterwards. I don't see any good solution for long-term parking situations apart from them offering a couple of QC stations in the remote parking lots even if they have to charge a nominal fee for using them.

somehow I cant make this compute.
you are suggesting driving to the airport, parking in the close lot, then wait two hours to move your car to a spot in a longer term lot -- then you can go on your trip?
or do you do the 2-hour charge in the expensive lot on the back end, when you want to go home? if that is the case, you could just drive to a nearby place with blinks or other L2s. there are plenty.

thankyouOB said:
somehow I cant make this compute.
you are suggesting driving to the airport, parking in the close lot, then wait two hours to move your car to a spot in a longer term lot -- then you can go on your trip?
or do you do the 2-hour charge in the expensive lot on the back end, when you want to go home? if that is the case, you could just drive to a nearby place with blinks or other L2s. there are plenty.

I was commenting on a previous post which implied you need to pay $30 for 2hrs, or I thought it did. Yes, using a Blink station nearby would be a less expensive option. When charging at the expensive lots you could, at least in theory, do some things at the airport while the car is charging such as check in your baggage, but you risk running out of time to move the car to a remote parking lot so it can be stressful.

Moving your car is unworkable, now it's just a good option for getting a quick charge when you show up at LAX to pick up your friends and show off your cool electric car.

rpmdk said:
Moving your car is unworkable, now it's just a good option for getting a quick charge when you show up at LAX to pick up your friends and show off your cool electric car.

At least we get that :)

yea, the very high brow, rightwing knuckledraggers still read the journal. everyone else knows the journal is just rupert's fox-tv in print.

thankyouOB said:
yea, the very high brow, rightwing knuckledraggers still read the journal. everyone else knows the journal is just rupert's fox-tv in print.

Yea? Well at least we didn't vote for a community organizer for President (not once but twice!). :roll:

willk55 said:
thankyouOB said:

Yea? Well at least we didn't vote for a community organizer for President (not once but twice!). :roll:

go read that story and tell me the reporter didnt have marching orders to make the LEAF look like a crappy car, and LEAF owners look like fools and greedy, too.

thankyouOB said:
go read that story and tell me the reporter didnt have marching orders to make the LEAF look like a crappy car, and LEAF owners look like fools and greedy, too.
I just read the article and I don't get that at all. In fact, until you read all the way to the end, there is no mention of the LEAF.

It sure does make the PiP seem crappy, though! :twisted:

I guess I have to agree that it's time for the free parking incentive at LAX to pass into history. I know that will be tough for those mentioned in the article who bought the cars solely for that incentive, but it makes little sense now that there are so many EVs on the roads.

Our airport (Dulles) provides free charging at prime locations in the daily lot, but you still pay the normal fee for parking. That seems like a reasonable incentive to me. Even if they charge for charging, the parking location is nice.

thankyouOB said:
willk55 said:
thankyouOB said:

fixed my comment:
go read that story and tell me the reporter didnt have marching orders to make electric-powered cars look crappy, and their owners look like greedy fools with their hands in everyone's pockets, and dumb, too.

it makes the same point. the wsj loaded up a rightwing spitwad and told you it was true. honestly, do you think the guy who bought that car to park at LAX is an outlier? i do.
oh, and when was the last time wsj drew attention to alternatives to the ICE, anyway?

Looks like Oakland Airport has nice perks for having a EV:
Do EV drivers receive any other benefits at OAK?
EV drivers parking/charging at the new EV chargers located in the Premier Parking Lot will enjoy priority
parking, closest to the terminal. They will be greeted by our friendly Premier Ambassadors and offered
a newspaper and bottled water. In addition, they will be offered a Premier Lane pass that allows them
to bypass unpredictable TSA lines.

As mentioned already, the WSJ article was predictably snarky toward EV's, but helpful to our cause by identifying a contact at LAWA (Los Angeles World Airports), Nancy Castles, Public & Media Relations Director. She could be a useful point of contact for us in identifying individuals most appropriate (influential) to provide our feedback to.

Googling Nancy Castles led to this LAWA contact list:

http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=3627

GENERAL INFORMATION
Monique Bell, Customer Service 310 646-5252

BOARD OF AIRPORT COMMISSIONERS
Commission Secretary Sandy Miller 424 646-6263

EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT
Gina Marie Lindsey, Executive Director 424 646-6250
Steve Martin, Chief Operating Officer 424 646-5040
Debbie Bowers, Deputy Executive Director, Commercial Development 424 646-7142
Wei Chi, Deputy Executive Director / Controller 424 646-9118
Michael Feldman, Deputy Executive Director, Facilities Management 424 646-5111
Roger Johnson, Deputy Executive Director, Airports Development 424 646-7553
Samson Mengistu, Deputy Executive Director, Administration 424 646-6251
Dominic Nessi, Deputy Executive Director / Chief Information Officer 424 646-5001
David Shuter, Deputy Executive Director, Facilities Management 424 646-5111
Jacqueline Yaft, Deputy Executive Director, Operations 424 646-5060

AIRPORTS DEVELOPMENT
Intissar Durham, Chief Airports Engineer 424 646-5841

EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Mark Adams, Government Affairs Manager 424 646-5114
Nancy Castles, Public & Media Relations Director (LAX) 424 646-5260
Diana Sanchez, Community Relations (VNY) 818 442-6526
Joyce Sloss, Business and Job Resources Manager 424 646-7300
Maria Tesoro-Fermin, Community Relations (LAX & ONT) 424 646-7450
Mark Thorpe, Air Service Marketing Manager 424 646-5020
Barbara Yamamoto, Customer Service Manager 424 646-5438

FACILITIES MANAGEMENT GROUP

Engineering and Facilities Management Division
Jeff Smith, Chief Airport Engineer 424 646 5701
Joan Raff, Facilities Management 424 646-5704
Glenn Ito, Technical Support 424 646-5703
Rick Connolly, Facilities Infrastructure 424 646-7850

Environmental Services Division
Robert Freeman, Environmental Manager 424 646-6474
Karin Christie, Environmental Management 424 646-6480
Scott Tatro, Noise Management 424 646-6499

Facilities Planning Division
Cynthia Guidry, Chief of Airport Planning 424 646-7690
Ellen Wright, Terminal Improvement 424 646-5282
Leah Grossi, Capital Improvement Program 424 646-5153
Herb Glasgow, Land Use Planning & Environmental Assessment 424 646-5180

I intend to begin making calls this week to somewhat random representatives of the various divisions above, all of which suggest some level of relevance to the issue in my type 2 bipolar mind. My intent and hope is to narrow down the list of "influentials" to a much shorter contact list that we should focus on. If anyone else feels motivated, feel free to make a call or two and share any productive information here. I don't think it can hurt, as long as we are reasonably articulate and courteous, to contact anyone on this list and raise the profile of our cause a bit.

What exactly is that cause? More to come....

When I first got my Leaf and learned about the free parking at LAX up to 30 days, my first thought was, "Wow, that's a great perk". My second thought, "Wow, that's going to be abused by alot of people."

Sad to see it go but I can't seem to blame them. They already offer free charging. It seems fair that we should pay for parking. If anything, I wish they would install chargers in all the lots.

Back