Leaf depreciation. Ouch!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the depreciation accelerates as the 150-200 mile Leaf's debut approaches, some of us may be able to buy our cars for a *lot* less than the residual. That's the silver lining here, I guess...

GerryAZ said:
I was not concerned about depreciation because I intended to keep my 2011 for a long time after Nissan replaced the first battery and then announced battery replacement prices. It would be cost effective for me to drive it for several more years.

Unfortunately, depreciation became a real concern last Sunday when the 3/4-ton 4X4 diesel pickup failed to stop for the red light after I stopped. I am still waiting for the other driver's insurance company and the body shop to decide what to do. I am fine and I was able to drive the LEAF out of the intersection to a safe place to park. I am really impressed with the LEAF's body structure and crash energy absorption. The pickup also had to be towed away.

Gerry

WOW! Hope "you" are ok!

DaveinOlyWA said:
GerryAZ said:
I was not concerned about depreciation because I intended to keep my 2011 for a long time after Nissan replaced the first battery and then announced battery replacement prices. It would be cost effective for me to drive it for several more years.

Unfortunately, depreciation became a real concern last Sunday when the 3/4-ton 4X4 diesel pickup failed to stop for the red light after I stopped. I am still waiting for the other driver's insurance company and the body shop to decide what to do. I am fine and I was able to drive the LEAF out of the intersection to a safe place to park. I am really impressed with the LEAF's body structure and crash energy absorption. The pickup also had to be towed away.

Gerry

WOW! Hope "you" are ok!

I am fine. The LEAF absorbed a lot of crash energy so I did not get tossed around much. The insurance company called me today to say it is a total loss. I just ordered a 2015 SL (another silver one). I want to get back to driving electric as soon as possible.

Gerry

Whether or not it's better will depend on the insurance payout, I guess. If he gets a new Leaf out of the deal, that's obviously better than having to lease or buy another one out of pocket.

Our 2011 had a incident late last year Esurance said the car was unfixable totaled it and offered us a really small check, based on what they said were comps. I asked to see the comps and on a conference call heard the associate say he made them up. I told them I was going to file a complaint with the state and left the conversation. Later that day they offered us a much better payout we agreed to take that would have allowed us to go to any dealer and buy a nice new used 2011. Here in so cal there are loads of used Leafs for between $12,000 to $17,000.

When I asked about the car they gave me a number to call CoPart. I called and they offered me to purchase the car back from them. The damage was minimal (really) car still worked so I offered them $2500, they settled with me for my delivered and damaged car at $2900. Car is nearly done it looks new and cost me $1500 so far probably be about $2000 depending on if we paint a few scuff marks. We pocketed the rest and have our beloved old 2011 dependable leaf back.

Car is ocean blue has 34K miles and still charges to all the bars and works great. Seems very few cars get fixed anymore the insurance companies just move them off to Copart who then sells them. Saw many many Teslas on their website for way less than they cost new. Might have to get one.

Steve

"they settled with me for my delivered and damaged car at $2900"

Thanks, now I know where I will be sourcing a replacement battery for my Leaf from.

I would submit a photo I just need to figure out how to do it. The car had surprisingly little damage. Most everything from the radiator on out is expendable and easily purchased and replaced. Seems that painting the two part ocean blue is the most $$ part. Yes I figured the battery alone to be worth the cost of purchase.

Steve

11 SL
34K miles
all bars somewhat diminished range

One major problem with that is that car now has a salvage title. That easily halves the value and negates any remaining battery warranty.

GlennD said:
One major problem with that is that car now has a salvage title. That easily halves the value and negates any remaining battery warranty.

Sounds like hbleaf pocketed $10k or so, enough for a new pack and to offset the lower salvage title price when s/he is ready to sell down the road. Not a bad deal imo.

It appears I was right about the ownership advantage! I know a couple who I helped buy a car, many years ago. It was a used fleet car, an AMC Hornet in good shape. They drove it for a few months, got rear-ended, and got a check for more than they'd payed for it, plus got to keep the car. The next year it got hit again, was totaled, and they got another big check. IIRC they had something similar happen with another car as well...

Ouch my ass. I LOVE the depreciation!! it let me score a 2012sv last september with 4802 miles on it (89% battery) for $17k

hell yeah. it made my 20 year dream of owning a BEV a reality.

I THINK most of it is distrust of the tech. I HOPE that persist at least one more generation so I can snag a deal on the new 2017 or so 240mile range leaf's

man having a 100mile drop dead range would be sublime and a 240mile optimal condition range would be out of this world to me.

hoping to wait a year and snag a used one cheap.

I just got 15K for my 2013 SL Premium. Of course I got a 48K car for 36K so it evens out. Lose on one hand and win on the other. The dealer really did not want my leaf, he said it was 13 to 15K at Mainheim but when I asked for my keys back a deal suddenly happened.

GlennD said:
I just got 15K for my 2013 SL Premium. Of course I got a 48K car for 36K so it evens out. Lose on one hand and win on the other. The dealer really did not want my leaf, he said it was 13 to 15K at Mainheim but when I asked for my keys back a deal suddenly happened.
So what'd you get - i3?

I hate to break it to you but if you got a $48k car for $36k it wasn't really a $48k car. Go try to sell it for $48k, you probably could only get $30k. I seriously doubt you actually "won" on the buy side.

Mercedes is like Toyota on their BEV's. Right now you can get a really good deal in California since it is a compliance car and the 2015 cars will soon arrive. So for me I got a car with the performance package, multimedia, and the range package that lists for over 48K for 36K. I also got a good lease rate.

For me, I am happy and that is all that counts. I long ago found that if I said the car company paid me to drive the car then someone would claim a better deal. Yes it is lasts's years car but there are no major changes for 2015 and with a lease resale does not count.

GlennD said:
Mercedes is like Toyota on their BEV's. Right now you can get a really good deal in California since it is a compliance car and the 2015 cars will soon arrive. So for me I got a car with the performance package, multimedia, and the range package that lists for over 48K for 36K. I also got a good lease rate.
Glad you got a good deal - are you enjoying the increase in range of the Merc over the LEAF? Do you miss QC?

drees said:
GlennD said:
Glad you got a good deal - are you enjoying the increase in range of the Merc over the LEAF? Do you miss QC?

QC is a big deal for some but I have never used it ( Sorry Tony). Home charging at L2 32A works for me. With 80% charge I ran through a route that used to give me the first low battery warning a couple of miles from home. On The B Class the GOM said 27 miles left when I got home.

GlennD said:
QC is a big deal for some but I have never used it ( Sorry Tony). Home charging at L2 32A works for me. With 80% charge

Same here. In nearly 4 years of ownership we've never done QC. If they actually had any in place in a few key locations we may have used it, but for the most part there are not any that help us. I'm sure having the DC port will help with resale, and that is why I bought the car with one, but it's of little use with the current infrastructure right now. Were not planning on selling any time soon, perhaps the car will enter collector status and it will start going up before we sell.

Back