LEAF entered in Pikes Peak Hill Climb: AutoBlog Green

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the results of the LEAF at the Hill Climb have not been posted here yet, I struck out on my own to see what happened. The following is an email I've already sent to my closest buddies in cyberspace:

Nowhere on SPEED, FOX, NBC, TNT or any of the other kajillion channels could I find the historic "89th Annual Pikes Peak International Hill Climb" on Sunday. What's wrong with this country? Hey, this sounds like an "extreme sport" to me.

The races were LIVE on the Internet, and my particular interest was the all-electric 2011 Nissan LEAF that was entered in this year's climb. And guess what. The LEAF came in 2nd place!------to the only other car in the electric division------a modified Summit HER-02 (whatever that is).

Actually, from motorcycles to vintage cars, there were around 150 vehicles in various classes attempting the 12.42 mile climb, and 156 turns, from 9,390 feet to the top of Pikes Peak at 14,110 feet. Of course, all the internal combustion engines lost power in the thin air at that high of an altitude, so I was interested to see what an electric car would do. Actually the LEAF did pretty well at 14 minutes and 33 seconds. I'd love to know how much battery charge was left!

In pure timings, the LEAF beat a 2010 Ford Ranger pickup by 15 seconds and a 2011 Honda Pilot by a big 64 seconds. It also bested a 1998 Acura Integra, a 2001 Audi A4, and was only 19 seconds behind a 2008 Mustang. Interesting to note, that 19 vehicles did not even finish the race.

The overall winner was a Japanese guy in a heavily modified Suzuki SX4 Crossover at a record breaking 9 minutes 51 seconds.

Oh well, there is always next year.

Steve

stevedj98 said:
In pure timings, the LEAF beat a 2010 Ford Ranger pickup by 15 seconds and a 2011 Honda Pilot by a big 64 seconds. It also bested a 1998 Acura Integra, a 2001 Audi A4, and was only 19 seconds behind a 2008 Mustang. Interesting to note, that 19 vehicles did not even finish the race.

Thanks for the update!

mwalsh said:
Looks like they've tried to lighten the car up some too - just about all the superfluous interior trim looks to have been removed.
I doubt they achieved any significant weight savings - a good roll cage usually offsets most of any weight savings from removing interior bits. Still would like to know more details (saw your post on Facebook).

stevedj98 said:
And guess what. The LEAF came in 2nd place!------to the only other car in the electric division------a modified Summit HER-02 (whatever that is).
Electric HER-02 article from last year:

http://autogreenmag.com/2010/06/30/ev-sports-concept-her-02-sets-new-pikes-peak-record/

Has a 200 kW motor and I'd have to guess weighs a LOT less than the LEAF. :)

ev-sports-concept-her-02-630.jpg

drees said:
Electric HER-02 article from last year:

http://autogreenmag.com/2010/06/30/ev-sports-concept-her-02-sets-new-pikes-peak-record/

Has a 200 kW motor and I'd have to guess weighs a LOT less than the LEAF. :)
It undoubtedly corners much, much better, too.

Yes, it helps to be the only car in the category :)

Here's a recent article:

http://www.sportscarillustrated.com/News_2011/C/news11_257.html

mwalsh said:
stevedj98 said:
The LEAF came in 2nd place!------to the only other car in the electric division------a modified Summit HER-02 (whatever that is).

Ah, but apparently first in the electric production division! :lol:
So, no Roadsters.

Back