LEAF reliability survey, view results, sign up to help

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
the LEAF is the lowest in warranty cost to Nissan, and the highest in customer satisfaction.

That is absolutely true. But even with the best products, it is fair to say there will always be cases where they don't meet the needs of a few.

OrientExpress said:
TonyWilliams said:
the LEAF is the lowest in warranty cost to Nissan, and the highest in customer satisfaction.

That is absolutely true. But even with the best products, it is fair to say there will always be cases where they don't meet the needs of a few.

i figured that statement would be met with some resentment with the battery issues flying around but another thing to realize; the product just aint old enough to have viable reliability data yet. a lot of cars start out very well and then fail 3 years down the line and its not "wear" items, its the plastic or the paint or the whatever.

give it some time to flesh out. plus limited sales will also keep #'s down for a while. lets see how the numbers roll a year from now when the LEAFs are pushing 30-40,000 miles. by then age will be a factor

Dave is absolutely correct on the long term reliability trends, but LEAF is off to a good start. I realize that some will dispute that, but as a whole it is true for the fleet.

We can't see into the future, but we'll do the next best thing, and track the cars very closely as they age. We're already previewing the next update, that covers through the end of September--two weeks ago. With other surveys the minimum lag is nearly six months, and stretches up to 18 months.

mkaresh said:
We can't see into the future, but we'll do the next best thing, and track the cars very closely as they age. We're already previewing the next update, that covers through the end of September--two weeks ago. With other surveys the minimum lag is nearly six months, and stretches up to 18 months.

how does the LEAF's first 18 months compare to other new models first 18 months namely the Gen 2 Prius starting with 2004 MY and other recent hybrids?

Both the LEAF and the Prius were highly reliable in their first 18 months. Any difference in reliability between them so far is too small to worry about.

This said, some people are telling me of a battery issue in hot climates. I'll keep an eye out for this.

Thanks, I do appreciate it, as does everyone looking for reliability information on these cars!

We have an updated result for the Nissan LEAF based on owner experiences through September 30, 2012.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2012: 14

2011: 5

Both are much better than average.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

These stats for the LEAF:

2011: 94, < 1

We'll have further updates in February and May. The more owners participate, the better the information we can provide.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Nissan LEAF reliability ratings and comparisons

Consumer Reports just got some of their latest reliability ratings in. The 2011 Leaf is all full orange circles (well above average for reliability in every category). :)

willk55 said:
Consumer Reports just got some of their latest reliability ratings in. The 2011 Leaf is all full orange circles (well above average for reliability in every category). :)

its easy to be reliable with a few hundred parts verses a few thousand in an ICE. there is simply less to go wrong in a LEAF

mkaresh said:
We have an updated result for the Nissan LEAF based on owner experiences through September 30, 2012.

That's quite a large difference. What are the respective sample sizes? Are those differences statistically significant?

willk55 said:

CR updates its stats every November based on a survey conducted every April. So this "new" information is already almost a year old.

Stoaty said:
mkaresh said:

That's quite a large difference. What are the respective sample sizes? Are those differences statistically significant?

Even 14 is low--the average for cars this young is about 40--so the difference between 5 and 15 isn't statistically significant. The smaller sample size for the 2012s likely explains it. It looks like the difference will disappear with the next update.

vrwl said:
Since battery degradation isn't being "repaired" per se, how does that get reported if the survey only considers actual repairs?

It can get reported, and so posted to the problem descriptions on the site, but it won't be counted in these stats until batteries start getting replaced.

We have updated reliability stats for the Nissan LEAF based on owner experiences through December 31, 2012.

2012: 5

2011: 6

Both are low.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the

past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

These stats for the LEAF:

2011: 95, < 1

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. The more owners participate, the more precise these will be. Especially need 2013s.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Nissan LEAF reliability ratings and comparisons

Updated stats soon. Especially need more 2013s.

http://www.truedelta.com/join" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back