Level 1 EVSE faults (all 3 lights flashing when its cold)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakem

The last 2 days (around 10-15 deg F during the day) my Panasonic EVSE has started faulting when I plug it in at work. The lights on the 2013 LEAF SV blink as if it is charging and it may be charging a little, but at a very low rate. I tried bringing the EVSE inside and letting it warm up, and then it worked fine so I'm guessing it is a cold weather problem. Anyone have similar issues? Is there a fix or is this something that should be under warranty?

LeftieBiker said:
How exactly do you know it isn't charging normally? Lack of charge increase over several hours?

Yes, very little charge despite being plugged in all day. It is still charging despite the flashing fault, but at very slow rate. I've only got about 10% charge increase after about 7 hours today.

Looks like the unit is rated for much lower temperatures, so it probably will be replaced under warranty.

XeonPony said:
I'd wager warrenty it, at -28f mine worked just fine.

After a little bit of hassel Nissan replaced it under warranty.

I'm not sure the Nissan service department is too familiar with the LEAF. They definately didn't understand my ticket stating that "Level 1 (110V) EVSE is showing a fault light and not charging the car when at cold temperatures". They ran diagnostics on the car which came out fine and then showed me some non relavant page from the manual stating that I shouldn't expect to be able to charge at 120V in cold temperatures with the climate control on. Finally, after talking to the service manager, they admitted that they didn't know what an EVSE was. I had to get it out of the trunk and get them to plug it in before they knew what I was talking about. Fortunately, after figuring out the problem, they let me take one out of another LEAF so I didn't have to wait for a replacement to be shipped in.

I'm back charging and it is 8 deg F outside. :cool:

blakem said:
XeonPony said:
I'd wager warrenty it, at -28f mine worked just fine.

After a little bit of hassel Nissan replaced it under warranty.

I'm not sure the Nissan service department is too familiar with the LEAF. They definately didn't understand my ticket stating that "Level 1 (110V) EVSE is showing a fault light and not charging the car when at cold temperatures". They ran diagnostics on the car which came out fine and then showed me some non relavant page from the manual stating that I shouldn't expect to be able to charge at 120V in cold temperatures with the climate control on. Finally, after talking to the service manager, they admitted that they didn't know what an EVSE was. I had to get it out of the trunk and get them to plug it in before they knew what I was talking about. Fortunately, after figuring out the problem, they let me take one out of another LEAF so I didn't have to wait for a replacement to be shipped in.

I'm back charging and it is 8 deg F outside. :cool:

It's called, "On the Job Training," :oops:

Back