Leviton EVSE Group Buy - Are you interested ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
earther said:
my guess is that I'll probably be going for the minimal configuration (my daily commute is <20mi, and I don't mind a 12+hr charge time). However, if the price differential is small enough, I could be talked into upgrading to the next step up just for future scalability. I suppose a lot depends on the various price points and the exact specs of how the Leaf interacts with each.

Since the car comes with 120V/12A for FREE (my estimate: about 4 miles charged per hour plugged in) ... if you really drive so few miles, you should drop the Level 2 EVSE (240V/16A = 12-15 miles per hour charged) and save all the money, or upgrade (depending on price and your electrical panel) to at least the 24A version or higher for future proofing and on-the-road use.

LEAFer said:
the car [Leaf] comes with 120V/12A for FREE...

This is something internal to the car, yes? Does the car also come with the appropriate cord hookups? If so, does this mean I could simply recharge the car from a standard electrical outlet? And if so, is this merely a sacrifice in charge time or are there other repercussions as well (e.g. lower efficiency? harsher battery wear?)

earther said:
Does the car also come with the appropriate cord hookups?
Yes. That is called EVSE.

If so, does this mean I could simply recharge the car from a standard electrical outlet? And if so, is this merely a sacrifice in charge time or are there other repercussions as well (e.g. lower efficiency? harsher battery wear?)
Just slow charging. As a rule, slower charge is better for batteries - so you lose nothing else.

earther said:
LEAFer said:
the car [Leaf] comes with 120V/12A for FREE...

This is something internal to the car, yes? Does the car also come with the appropriate cord hookups? If so, does this mean I could simply recharge the car from a standard electrical outlet? And if so, is this merely a sacrifice in charge time or are there other repercussions as well (e.g. lower efficiency? harsher battery wear?)
The EVSE is external to the car. The "charger" is internal to the car, and of course, comes with it, but will be limited to charging at 3.3kW on early models. The LEAF will also be delivered with an EVSE (external, or using your words "appropriate cord hookups") that can charge at 120V and probably 12A (small possibility it will be up to 16A, but probably not). That 120V/12A (Level 1) EVSE will be included in the price of the car (free), and, yes, can be plugged into standard household outlets. And, as you suspect, you merely sacrifice charge time. There may be a small loss in efficiency, but not significant. Battery wear should be LESS harsh at lower levels. The only other question ("repercussion") that has not yet been answered conclusively is whether plugging in with the "free" EVSE still allows for the car to be pre-cooled and pre-heated. If you use that option, then only very little power is left to actually charge the battery (i.e. you will be "adding miles" much more slowly), since the HVAC system will eat up a large portion of the energy being supplied.

The "included" Level 1 (120v) EVSE is basically a cord (with a bump on it near the wall-plug end), in a cloth bag tossed into the LEAF's cargo area.

Plug on one end for a standard will socket, and the "J1772" plug on the other end, to plug into the front end of the LEAF.

Gives you (rather slow) "charge anywhere" capability.

garygid said:
The "included" Level 1 (120v) EVSE is basically a cord (with a bump on it near the wall-plug end), in a cloth bag tossed into the LEAF's cargo area.
I think, but am not sure, that it is a 25 foot cord. This is of some slight significance, since I believe, though again I'm not positive, that most electrical codes state the EVSE part (the "bump on it") must be within 12 inches of the wall plug. In other words, you are not supposed to use an extension cord with it. Not that you are likely to electrocute yourself or be put into jail if you violate the code.

I believe you are correct.

If I was traveling, for those charging "emergencies", I would carry a 50-foot (maybe 100-foot), properly rated extension cord, and some short "socket adapters".

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but given that all of us are in different locales, it doesn't seem like there's any cost savings to be had from Leviton's end of things in doing a bulk purchase -- no matter how you slice it, it still boils down to them having to perform N independent installations, right? (as opposed to a single office park installing many stations, which gives Leviton some give on labor time, wiring, transport etc).
I suppose one could try to appeal to the volume element, but any idea how many EVSE we'd have to purchase as a block in order for Leviton to find a group discount appealing? 50? 100? Additionally, to have any clout at all, we'd also have to have a similar competing group bid into another company, right?

earther said:
Maybe I'm just being cynical, but given that all of us are in different locales, it doesn't seem like there's any cost savings to be had from Leviton's end of things in doing a bulk purchase -- no matter how you slice it, it still boils down to them having to perform N independent installations, right?

I never saw Leviton installing the units. I see them either drop shipping to us, and then we find our own electrician, or them being shipped to one of us and him re-shipping them.

mwalsh said:
earther said:
Maybe I'm just being cynical, but given that all of us are in different locales, it doesn't seem like there's any cost savings to be had from Leviton's end of things in doing a bulk purchase -- no matter how you slice it, it still boils down to them having to perform N independent installations, right?

I never saw Leviton installing the units. I see them either drop shipping to us, and then we find our own electrician, or them being shipped to one of us and him re-shipping them.

I agree. mwalsh has the idea that I agree with-drop shipping is the way to go.

The installation of the Leviton EVSE is trivial. The electrician only needs to install one of 3 different outlets (L6-20, L6-30 or L6-50 depending on the model), install the correct 2 pole breaker (20, 30 or 50 amp), with the correct wire size to the outlet, and the EVSE just plugs in, after being hung on the mounting bracket.

Average installation time 30-120 minutes, depending on conditions, and assuming you have breaker space and the correctly sized service

In other words, a trivial job for a local electrician

Actually, I plan on doing this myself. Here's the needed breaker(s) and wires

20A model (L6-20 outlet), 16A max output, breaker 20A, #12 wire
30A model (L6-30 outlet), 24A max output, breaker 30A, #10 wire
40A/50A model (L6-50 outlet), 40A max output, breaker 50A, #6 wire

The breaker needs to be dual-pole.

mwalsh said:

ah, now it all makes sense :idea:
we could either have them all shipped en masse to the group member closest to Leviton's distribution point, or if the shipping savings is only marginal then we could have them sent to the most centrally located member.
Does anyone know if they devices are transportable enough that an average pair of adults could wrangle them into an average passenger auto? if so, then many members could save further shipping costs by just personally picking them up.

Of course, now the question remains about how the installation is actually to be performed: perhaps we could also start a followup thread for good quality local electricians that are willing to install these puppies (at fair prices). I don't care how "easy" it allegedly is, there's no way I'm not going to get this professionally done by a licensed contractor -- I'm so mechanically inept that I'm lucky I don't electrocute myself every time I flip on a light switch!

earther said:
mwalsh said:

ah, now it all makes sense :idea:
we could either have them all shipped en masse to the group member closest to Leviton's distribution point, or if the shipping savings is only marginal then we could have them sent to the most centrally located member.
Does anyone know if they devices are transportable enough that an average pair of adults could wrangle them into an average passenger auto? if so, then many members could save further shipping costs by just personally picking them up.

Of course, now the question remains about how the installation is actually to be performed: perhaps we could also start a followup thread for good quality local electricians that are willing to install these puppies (at fair prices). I don't care how "easy" it allegedly is, there's no way I'm not going to get this professionally done by a licensed contractor -- I'm so mechanically inept that I'm lucky I don't electrocute myself every time I flip on a light switch!

I have installed four AVCONS and about five 50A outlets, these are outlets and a box on the wall. Any electrician could do the job easily. There is NOTHING complex about installing an EVSE, only AV would like to make it seem that way. It is on par with a hard wired low voltage transformer for outside lights or a spa connection. There is far too much FUD on this subject.

greenleaf said:
Actually, I plan on doing this myself. Here's the needed breaker(s) and wires

20A model (L6-20 outlet), 16A max output, breaker 20A, #12 wire
30A model (L6-30 outlet), 24A max output, breaker 30A, #10 wire
40A/50A model (L6-50 outlet), 40A max output, breaker 50A, #6 wire

The breaker needs to be dual-pole.
A slight elaboration on the 40A/50A model: 50A ampacity wiring is required, which for NM (Romex) cable or other wiring method limited to 60C ampacity is indeed #6 wire. However, if you end up using a 75C wiring method, such as THHN in EMT, you can use #8 conductors if both the breaker and the L6-50 outlet are rated for 75C terminations. I would expect them to be so rated, but it would need to be checked.

Cheers, Wayne

Back