Minnesota Leafs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone a little dissappointed that Nissan will be putting the LEAF in the rental fleets in January 2011 while some of us non rollout states will not be able to even order until the Fall/Winter of 2011.
Well, yeah... but - how many people will you give a test ride to? Now, how many can test ride a rental?

Also, Nissan is probably correct in anticipating more vehicle service requirements with the earliest vehicles. Having them all in fleet use makes it a LOT easier to control software/firmware updates, or even experiment with modifications.

I've reserved one in Minnesota. No idea when they will arrive in my state though. Sounds like Q4 2011. Unfortunately, I believe the $7500 rebate is set to expire on Dec 31, 2011 so I hope I get mine before then!

After further review... I may just wait a year or two and jump in a 2010 prius. Wait unitl all the bugs and chargers etc are all worked out.

scottwilcox said:
Anyone a little dissappointed that Nissan will be putting the LEAF in the rental fleets in January 2011 while some of us non rollout states will not be able to even order until the Fall/Winter of 2011.

Scott, Nissan will be providing the LEAF to three rental fleets (Hertz, Avis and Enterprise). The language was the same on all announcements that I've seen. Generally a variation of "Nissan will start providing vehicles in January 2011, with additional vehicles provided through 2011". My emphasis. Delivering one vehicle to each satisfies this announcement. My feeling is that Nissan will accomodate reservationists first, and will use the 1500 vehicles going to these three rental fleets to absorb production as consumer demand slows down. This, in turn, will assist in sales as more will be able to rent a LEAF to see if it's right for them.

scottwilcox said:
Anyone a little disappointed that Nissan will be putting the LEAF in the rental fleets in January 2011 while some of us non-rollout states will not be able to even order until the Fall/Winter of 2011.
I don't think the LEAF's currently available would be very usable in MN (or any cold climate) so it's a practical issue of technology, not a business or marketing decision. My guess is they're hoping for a bit more battery capability later next year to help with powering the cold weather package. I think a Tesla in MN (there's only 1 I'm aware of) eats up about 20% - 30% more energy during the winter.

SkiTundra said:
My guess is they're hoping for a bit more battery capability later next year to help with powering the cold weather package. I think a Tesla in MN (there's only 1 I'm aware of) eats up about 20% - 30% more energy during the winter.

They are waiting for the Cold Weather spec. That will have a battery warmer. Unlikely to have more battery capacity ...

There is a Q&A on Nissan's official LEAF site which addresses this—sort of.

The battery compartment will feature some insulation to give some protection from the arctic cold we sometimes get but ya' can't really change the laws of physics.

Our Camry Hybrid mileage drops about 15% during the winter months due to cabin heat demand (only available when the internal combustion engine is running) and the lower efficiency of the winter blends of gas.

I contacted one of the Nissan dealers in the Twin Cities area this week to ask:
  • Will Nissan be displaying a Leaf at the March Auto Show in Minneapolis?
  • When do you project Leafs arriving in Minnesota?

and got the following reply:
  • We expect a Leaf will be there but have not yet heard anything affirmative from Nissan
  • Next December

I presume the December 2011? Leafs will be the 2012 models?

Edit: Corrected release year...

Pipemajor said:
I contacted one of the Nissan dealers in the Twin Cities area this week to ask:
  • Will Nissan be displaying a Leaf at the March Auto Show in Minneapolis?
  • When do you project Leafs arriving in Minnesota?

and got the following reply:
  • We expect a Leaf will be there but have not yet heard anything affirmative from Nissan
  • December 2012

I presume the December 2012 Leafs will be the 2012 models?

Holy Crap!

December of 2012!!! Sheesh...I sure hope that Mayan Calendar deal is not true!

sjfotos said:
Pipemajor said:
I may have typo'd the year. The reply simply said "next" December. As it was sent 2 days ago, I HOPE he meant December 2011...

WHEW. Ok, THAT is what I am going to elect to believe :)

I wonder if there will be any new improvements out by then?

jgrode1 said:
sjfotos said:
Pipemajor said:
I may have typo'd the year. The reply simply said "next" December. As it was sent 2 days ago, I HOPE he meant December 2011...

WHEW. Ok, THAT is what I am going to elect to believe :)

I wonder if there will be any new improvements out by then?

Perhaps showrooms full of Leafs? Seriously, there are bound to be a few "tweaks" which they didn't/couldn't get in for their initial production run.

I received the email informing me that Nissan will be informing my utility company. I'm posting here to bump this thread up....I saw there were a couple of threads started that probably could be consolidated into this one.

I'm really hoping there will be a leaf at the Auto Show...even if I might miss it for a work trip overseas.

I SAW!!!!

I TOUCHED!!!!!

I SLID MY DERRIERE INTO THE RECYCLED PLASTIC BOTTLE SEATS!!!!!!!

HELD THE STEERING WHEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got a voicemail confirming a LEAF will indeed be on display at the Minneapolis Auto Show (March 12-20).
Then I saw that display car is now at Feldman's Imports (a Nissan dealership) in Bloomington. I had to make a trip in the Camry Hybrid tonight and Bloomington was on the way so stopped in to ogle over their loaner LEAF.

So yes, they do actually exist. :mrgreen:
They'll let you sit in it, open/close the doors, turn the lights on and off but even they aren't allowed to drive it prior to the show.

Yo Pipe. Thanks for sharing. So it is not a hoax ! Still waiting to see how it fairs in the cold and pot holes. I had to settle for a 2010 Prius last August. Awesome car, better than I imagined. Hard not to brag, especially at $3.54 a gallon. I may buy out the lease on the Prius for road trips and drive the Leaf for fun. 2.0 by then? Hang in there and thanks for palying. Maybe all the MN Leafs could car pool to the auto show? :)
Jim

I'll be heading to the Auto Show tonight (Friday) after I pick up my son at School. Pretty excited to say the least! For those you have gone, is there quite the crowd around the Leaf? Will it really be possible to sit in the car and really check it out? How knowledgeable are any of the reps? - or will I have to explain stuff to them?

LeafinThePark said:
I'll be heading to the Auto Show tonight (Friday) after I pick up my son at School. Pretty excited to say the least! For those you have gone, is there quite the crowd around the Leaf? Will it really be possible to sit in the car and really check it out? How knowledgeable are any of the reps? - or will I have to explain stuff to them?
If it's anything like the display Nissan had for the Portland Auto Show, they'll have a LEAF in the middle of their show space that you can climb all around in. At the Portland show they had to disconnect the battery so unfortunately there was no way to open the trunk, everything else was fair-game though!

I saw. I liked!

I thought it was interesting that the rep kept insisting that leafs will be delivered to Minny customers in August, and that the official communications we've received saying 'fall/winter' are just being conservative.

I did ask questions regarding the cold weather package...sounds like it will include heated seats and steering wheel, but no battery temperature management.

Back