My electric bill went up $20 last month

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update from above--turns out that PG&E put us on TOU rate E9A starting the day I called, which means that I got the entire May-June billing cycle at that rate. It added up to $46.60 for the 1600 miles or $0.029/mile. And that might even be a little high because I might have gone closer to 1700 miles :p

Mine went up $21 for June from last year and all my charging was at home on L1. However, that was for a 30-day period with 28 days in one set of TOU rates (spring) and 2 days in the summer rate schedule (same TOU plan). I didn't get my Leaf until 6/4, so there were about 6 days of the billing period with no Leaf (but the whole period was on TOU, PG&E E9A). Even though I can pretty well identify my kwh usage, it is not so easy to identify the cost because I am not just charged with off-peak rate but the rate is altered by the total amount of usage because it pushes me into Tier 3 in some cases or at least boosts the % of use that is in Tier 2, so that increases the rate I am paying for usage during the day, not just charging the Leaf. Also, our freezer was found popped open overnight or during the day four times during that period for reasons we still don't understand. Something must have been packed in there too tight and the pressure opened the door, but that meant hours of extra power usage on this bill. My mileage is also quite low, maybe 350 miles on that billing period. The bottom line is, just look at the billing amount and don't go crazy trying to calculate to the penny what charging is costing. It's somewhere between 1/5 and 1/10 the cost of gasoline for the same miles, and that's good enough for me.

Correction, Tier 1 and Tier 2 have the same rates. It's only if I go into Tier 3 that the rates change, but they go up the same amount from Tier 2 to 3 as they do going from off-peak to part-peak. That means there is no advantage splitting the charge over midnight, taking some in Part peak (e.g. 10pm to midnight) to keep in Tier 2 both days. Whatever you save by avoiding Tier 3 you pay out in the higher rates for part peak.

I used 245 kwh more than last year, positive 65 vs negative 180
Net bill -$65 :D :D :D

245 @ .10 would still be a bargain for around 900 miles.
That fact that it costs me nothing is great

Danny said:
This post may show up as two new topics. Wrong button, sorry.

If I ever get my car, I can tell you exactly how much I draw from the utility. I have a second meter. I have a VIN but no car yet.

Danny or anyone with a 2nd meter setup, could you pls share your electricity bill information on that 2nd meter?

Thanks!

mxp said:
Danny or anyone with a 2nd meter setup, could you pls share your electricity bill information on that 2nd meter?
See my post above (p. 2 of this thread)--that is with a second meter measuring only EV usage. We went 1216 miles in 33 days (May 7 to June 9) on 336 kWh of energy (all charging at home w/ the Blink EVSE). That comes out to 3.619 m/kWh drawn from the wall. It cost me $24.06 (100% super off-peak charging at about $.07/kWh), or 1.9786 cents per mile for fuel. Carwings says we are averaging 6.4 m/kWh over 2989 total miles so far, BTW, which is quite a bit more optimistic than what my utility bill shows. We drive it almost all the time in Eco mode and charge to 80% to maximize regen. We probably do less than 50% freeway driving, but when on the freeway, drive at 65-70mph. We haven't had to use AC much yet (maybe 20% of the time) or heat at all.

HTH,
TT

ttweed said:
mxp said:
See my post above (p. 2 of this thread)--that is with a second meter measuring only EV usage. We went 1216 miles in 33 days (May 7 to June 9) on 336 kWh of energy (all charging at home w/ the Blink EVSE). That comes out to 3.619 m/kWh drawn from the wall. It cost me $24.06 (100% super off-peak charging at about $.07/kWh), or 1.9786 cents per mile for fuel. Carwings says we are averaging 6.4 m/kWh over 2989 total miles so far, BTW, which is quite a bit more optimistic than what my utility bill shows. We drive it almost all the time in Eco mode and charge to 80% to maximize regen. We probably do less than 50% freeway driving, but when on the freeway, drive at 65-70mph. We haven't had to use AC much yet (maybe 20% of the time) or heat at all.

HTH,
TT

Absolutely AWESOME, Mr Tweed! :mrgreen:

first month of ownership, my bill went up $25 for 303 kWh at about 8 cents and hour. LADWP.
all off-peak.
it was all covered by my solar generation or solar bank.

Rat said:
Correction, Tier 1 and Tier 2 have the same rates. It's only if I go into Tier 3 that the rates change, but they go up the same amount from Tier 2 to 3 as they do going from off-peak to part-peak. That means there is no advantage splitting the charge over midnight, taking some in Part peak (e.g. 10pm to midnight) to keep in Tier 2 both days. Whatever you save by avoiding Tier 3 you pay out in the higher rates for part peak.
Rat, I am not exactly sure what you are trying to say here but your usage tiers are calculated over the monthly billing cycle as well as your time of use usage so the less energy used over the month the better and and the more of what energy used in off peak the better. In other words PG&E calculates how much total energy for the billing cycle was and then calculates how much energy is used in what tier determined by your baseline. The percentage of how much energy was used in Peak, Part-Peak and Off-Peak is determined and is then multiplied by the amount of total energy used in each tier to determine the bill.

Every month I get a document from PG&E in the mail that shows these calculations. I have been trying to get this document from PG&E electronically instead of in the mail for years but PG&E can't seem to figure it out. I can also post one of these documents in case anyone is interested to see how the calculations are determined.

Spies said:
Rat said:
Rat, I am not exactly sure what you are trying to say here but your usage tiers are calculated over the monthly billing cycle as well as your time of use usage so the less energy used over the month the better and and the more of what energy used in off peak the better. In other words PG&E calculates how much total energy for the billing cycle was and then calculates how much energy is used in what tier determined by your baseline. The percentage of how much energy was used in Peak, Part-Peak and Off-Peak is determined and is then multiplied by the amount of total energy used in each tier to determine the bill.
Spies is right, but perhaps I can say it a bit more simply.
  • Tier is set by billing period, not day, and is based on total kWh used during the billing period.
  • Moving usage from off-peak to part-peak always increases your total bill, regardless of tier status.
Note: These rules apply to PG&E, not necessarily to other California utilities, and probably not at all outside California.

Ray

Back