New Leaf user--looking for EVSE rec

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memfist

Hey all. I purchased a 2012 SL this week with 13k miles. Really enjoying it, though i realize i definitely need a L2 EVSE at home, especially in the winter (i'm in Nashville so winters aren't too brutal thankfully).

So I have the SL (3.3 obviously) and an active dryer outlet (NEMA 14-30R) in my garage that's not in use. I'm honed in on the Clipper Creek LCS-20P, which is a plug-in and wouldn't require any additional installation. It also appears they're a reputable brand.

Any other options I should look at that equal the quality + price of this one?

Thanks!

The LCS-30 24 amp version would also work with your wiring. The number in the model represents the size breaker needed, not the actual draw in amps.

Clipper Creek is a good choice, but you might want to consider the LCS-25P to charge at the maximum rate of your onboard charger. The LCS-20P limits current to 15 amperes while the LCS-25P allows 20 amperes. If the EVSE pilot signal allows, the 2011 and 2012 onboard chargers will draw up to 18 amperes at 208 to 240 volts so the LCS-25P will allow the onboard charger to run at its maximum capability. It should be noted that the LSC-30 mentioned in the previous post is designed for hard wire installation, but you could probably attach a dryer cord and plug to the input terminals.

Other options include portable units available from QuickChargePower.com or upgrading the Nissan 120-volt EVSE to operate on either 120 or 240 volts. The 2011 and 2012 Nissan units can be upgraded by evseupgrade.com to allow up to 20 amperes at 240 volts (still 12 amperes at 120 volts) if you have a 30-ampere circuit like your dryer circuit. Their standard upgrade allows 16 amperes at 240 volts and requires a 20-ampere circuit (like the LCS-20P).

Gerry

Welcome to the EV nation neighbor, you are just up the road from where I am, regionally speaking. :mrgreen:

If you have no interest in future-proofing the power output, then the unit will work just fine for the vehicle you have due to the 3.3kW charging limit (but still a big improvement from the L1 that comes with the vehicle in regards to recharge time). As others have already chimed in, you could get a slight bump in charge power by going with a more powerful model.

If you don't care about how pretty the charger looks, Home Depot sells a GE 30 amp L2 EVSE for $399. It's just a plain ole' white box, but it supports charging up to 30 amps, but is adjustable down to the safe power level to work with your dryer outlet so you don't need an electrician to change out the wiring. I've helped my family and friends install the GE for economic reasons and even though it is plain, it does the job quite well.

If you need help installing, send me a PM, would be glad to help a fellow Leaf'er. :)

memfist said:
Hey all. I purchased a 2012 SL this week with 13k miles. Really enjoying it, though i realize i definitely need a L2 EVSE at home, especially in the winter (i'm in Nashville so winters aren't too brutal thankfully).

So I have the SL (3.3 obviously) and an active dryer outlet (NEMA 14-30R) in my garage that's not in use. I'm honed in on the Clipper Creek LCS-20P, which is a plug-in and wouldn't require any additional installation. It also appears they're a reputable brand.

Thanks!

memfist said:

Thanks!
The LCS-20P is a good choice.

Back