New Quick Charge user questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafenvy

I've had my LEAF for almost a year now and like many here, I've never used the quick charge function. Well, that's about to change (for us in the SF Bay Area at least) with the first one now publicly available. Before I drive down to Stanford, I was wondering about a few basic functions of the DC charger, for those that have some experience with it:

I've got my car set to charge to 80% capacity at all times and I just override the timer when I need 100%. Will the DC charger automically override the timer or do I need to press that button beforehand if I want over 80% charge?

Also, I've read on this forum that the Stanford charger doesn't give you an accurate readout of battery SOC while the charging is occuring and the car must be switched off before charging begins. So, would it be possible to turn on the accessory mode after charging begins to monitor SOC?

Lastly, is it possible to get to 100% SOC with a DC charger and if so roughly how long would that take from around 20%-30% SOC (assuming ideal battery tempature)

Thanks in advance.

Silver LEAF SL, reserved 4/20/10, ordered 10/31/10, received 6/14/11

leafenvy said:
I've got my car set to charge to 80% capacity at all times and I just override the timer when I need 100%. Will the DC charger automically override the timer or do I need to press that button beforehand if I want over 80% charge?
DC charging automatically overrides any timers.

leafenvy said:
Also, I've read on this forum that the Stanford charger doesn't give you an accurate readout of battery SOC while the charging is occuring and the car must be switched off before charging begins. So, would it be possible to turn on the accessory mode after charging begins to monitor SOC?
Yes, you can turn the car back on after charging has started.

leafenvy said:
Lastly, is it possible to get to 100% SOC with a DC charger and if so roughly how long would that take from around 20%-30% SOC (assuming ideal battery tempature)
From 20% (LBW) to 80% will take about 30 minutes. It will take approximately another 30 minutes to go to 100%.

I would recommend that you test Quick Charging for the first time when you don't really need it.

Mine didn't work. Nissan is waiting for a part (on board charger).

March delivery 2012 Leaf.

Rare (maybe the only one even), but I was glad I didn't need it when I tried it the first time.

Back