Nissan Engineering Team Visit Dec. 3rd: Recap

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DannyAmes said:
Solar panel in the rear is dumb! Get rid of it unless it could to something more useful like power an exhaust fan on hot days.
Yes, its value is limited, but as we've speculated elsewhere, it might actually help to extend the life of the 12 V lead acid accessory battery by keeping it topped up. If nothing else, it looks sort of cool. Now, covering the entire roof with thin film solar would be truly cool even if economically questionable.

abasile said:
Tesla Model S covers the rooftop with solar; now that's truly cool even if economically questionable.
No, you are probably thinking of Fisker Karma, not Tesla Model S.

TEG said:
Dislikes:
... Headlight housings look too strange sticking out so much ...
I thought that they protruded to deflect air around the side mirrors and reduce drag...besides, it's about the only distinctive feature the car has.

This picture shows the solar cells in better detail, what solar cells?

fisker-karma-sexy-7-630x.jpg

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/04/19/fisker-promises-first-karmas-will-be-delivered-in-june-or-july/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TEG said:
Dislikes:
Basically no available CHAdeMO public charging locations
Headlight housings look too strange sticking out so much
White interior (too easy to show stains) should be dark gray

They're coming soon! We just had two installed in Phoenix!
If you don't know the reason for the bulbous headlight housings, it's for lower wind noise. So the question is: Would you rather have housings that don't stick out so much OR more wind noise? I choose less wind noise.
The LEAF's interior is light gray even though it may look white and I agree could be darker. But seat covers take care of most of it.

Dislikes:
The SMRD (silly miles remaining display) should be replaced with an accurate and high resolution state of charge indicator
There should be some feedback to the driver when friction braking is being used.
Lose the silly automatic transmission creep simulation.

mckemie said:
Dislikes:
Lose the silly automatic transmission creep simulation.
Don't mean to turn this into a discussion thread (we can start another thread to discuss creep, if there isn't one already) but http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2003/03-12051.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 'explains the whole rationale about "creep" force and directional cueing for a driver' (to steal the verbiage from http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/prius-linkfarm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for hybrids.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Leaf is subject to the above or a similar rule elsewhere in the world.

Perhaps there should be another thread to discuss the points brought up here and to keep this thread clean (only containing likes and dislikes)...

Well it's pretty clear that State of Charge (SOC) is high on peoples' lists for improvement. Keep the suggestions coming.
We don't need to start another thread on creep. The idea is to gather the information in one place to make it easy to assemble and present. So if creep is something of a hot topic, discuss away.....

My **paramount request** is that Nissan, from a high value marketing and strategic engineering standpoint, thinks of the LEAF as a the basis for an ongoing company customer relationship. In practice, this would include:

Upsells in the form of future battery technology standardized to work in current and future model years
Ongoing software upgrades in performance and information technology
Retrofits of charge points and chargers, and even piloting considering novel ideas like a towable battery pack to enhance range that could be rented from one dealer vendor and dropped at another...

The value of early adopters in launching this technology does not escape NISSAN, and to me, explains the care they took to maintain a relatively low market pricing that resulted in a segment penetration strategy.

Thus, reprogramming of the ECO and D mode, along with using the existing display to provide a true SOC fits this category. Same for the brakes and regen matters... Maybe a sport mode for steering, and sport model in the future

Not mentioned so far is using the LEAF service as a kind of Lojack, that to my knowledge currently is not offered as a part of carwings.

After reading many of the requests and concerns, likes and dislikes, many of these specific requests, ideas, and suggestions fall into such a philosophy that focuses on a longterm customer relationship approach

Smooth, quiet ride
Excellent acceleration when needed
Very low fuel cost, and no use of fossil fuel to run (if renewable electricity)

Needs improvement:

More transparency about battery capacity, preferably an indicator from 1-100%
Battery temperature in degrees F. (or C.)
SOC meter (1-100%) to replace the miles remaining display
A real warranty for the battery
Ability to set ECO mode as default
Ability to set VSP to default to off

Oops... that's more than 3 improvements. :mrgreen:

Agree with all that has been mentioned alot. But here are others that are less/not mentioned which are also important to us:

Likes (Please keep these features):
1) 3 doors having the touch lock and unlock function...very convenient
2) Hatchback...very functional
3) Transports up to 5 passengers

Improvements:
1) Navigation System (like the way our portable Garmins function better)
2) No pull-down arm rest/cup holders in back seat center area (So if we were transporting 3 or 4 people, that area could be pulled down to be used as an armrest and cup holders for certain type of drinks/containers that would not work well in the door holders...coffee or beverages with plastic lids and straws do better there than in the door cup holders if the rear occupants have to get in and out :eek: .
3) A more sleek or sporty exterior design in the back instead of the heavy bulby look (something like the rear of the Mazda 3 Hatchback or better)

Dream List So We Can Drive Our Leaf Everywhere :D (Can forego all the Likes & Improvements if :lol: ):
1) More range
2) Quick charge stations at Nissan Dealerships... maybe partnering with companies who'll install and maintain them on dealership properties. Those companies would charge a reasonable rate... maybe $5/$6 per charge (dealerships already appear as charge stations in our car and they are spaced in distance pretty conveniently)

Can we also extend our deep appreciation and admiration to the people at Nissan as a company that took the risk and has worked so hard to give us our first mass-produced, well-made 1st generation electric Leaf? Even more appreciation in light of the extreme challenges the earthquake and tsunami created during the production and distribution? And our continued good wishes for their recovery and success.

GoingGreener said:
Can we also extend our deep appreciation and admiration to the people at Nissan as a company that took the risk and has worked so hard to give us our first mass-produced, well-made 1st generation electric Leaf? Even more appreciation in light of the extreme challenges the earthquake and tsunami created during the production and distribution? And our continued good wishes for their recovery and success.
I agree! I think we need to say, in as many words, how happy overall we are that they produced the Leaf.

DoxyLover said:
GoingGreener said:
I agree! I think we need to say, in as many words, how happy overall we are that they produced the Leaf.
Yes, that would be the most appropriate way to start off the meeting (and the presentation we prepare for it).

- Wonderfully smooth and quiet - hate driving cars with conventional or CVT transmissions now!
- Good power and torque plus regen make it a winner in twisty mountain roads. Gives you perfect, effortless control.
- Electric fuel means I can use my solar PV for free!
- I know this is #4, but I have to say I like the steering effort, and so does my wife.

Improvements:
- Allow the regen level to be driver adjustable with either a slider control or maybe simply rotating the shift knob. Should be independent of "D" or ECO modes.
- Remote hatch release in driver area and on FOB.
- Colorize the currently all white energy dots. Maybe light green to dark green for the regen side, and going from yellow to dark orange for the right side. Leave the center, null use dot white.

BnBinSD said:
- Colorize the currently all white energy dots. Maybe light green to dark green for the regen side, and going from yellow to dark orange for the right side. Leave the center, null use dot white.
This would be nice. Every now and then, I glance at that display, see two dots, and can't immediately tell whether I have one dot of regen or one dot of power.

GoingGreener said:

Yes!

Suggestions for improvements:
1. Have a button to turn the heater off
2. Have a button to turn the heater off
3. Have a button to turn the heater off

AP1 said:
Suggestions for improvements:
1. Have a button to turn the heater off
2. Have a button to turn the heater off
3. Have a button to turn the heater off

-headroom and overall cabin room
-The many settings that are available for me to change to customize my experience

Improvements (immediate software update):
-When using fan to vent outside air (AC turned off + fan on), there needs to be an air setting below 60 called "Low" that TURNS THE HEATER OFF, no matter the outside air temp.
-Option in the Settings menu that allows me to default the pedestrian/backup noise maker to OFF
-Option that allows me to change the mileage remaining guess-o-meter on the dash to %/SOC

Improvements (future models):
-Leather as an option
-Telescoping steering wheel
-Lumbar support in the seats

...oh, and more range and 6.6 charger ;-)

Thanks everyone for the input so far with your suggestions for improvements to future LEAFs. There has been a lot of discussion on the climate control - ventilation, heater and AC controls. How about Carwings? Are there specific improvements to Carwings that you would suggest for future LEAFs?

Thanks,

Kim

Back