Nissan : Option to not share information with your Utility

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud

Just got this one from Nissan:

Hey loser, (name changed to protect guilty) to ensure safe and uninterrupted electric service, Nissan plans to share your LEAF™ purchase decision and your street address with your local utility beginning next month. The utility will use this information strictly for service planning. Your information will not be shared, sold or used for any other purposes. If you are unwilling to share your address, simply edit your profile to decline this option before March 1, 2011

Bud said:
Hey loser, (name changed to protect guilty) to ensure safe and uninterrupted electric service, Nissan plans to share your LEAF™ purchase decision and your street address with your local utility beginning next month. The utility will use this information strictly for service planning. Your information will not be shared, sold or used for any other purposes. If you are unwilling to share your address, simply edit your profile to decline this option before March 1, 2011

I got that email from Nissan as well. I don't know what "service planning" is. So, I declined, I don't want PG&E changing my rate schedule other than E1.

Bud said:

I got the same email, and I have no idea when I can RAQ.

Bud said:

Bud, I had to assume you were making yet another snarky MNL post, but didn't see the rolling eyes emoticon and then, lo and behold, I got the same Nissan email! So is this like the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes where, if I don't sign up to buy at least one full year's subscription to some crummy magazine I really don't want, there's no chance Ed McMahon is gonna show up at my door with that check for a million bucks? I don't want PG&E prying around my circuit breakers, but I also don't want to piss Nissan off...

Glenn

Anyone else get this email?

to ensure safe and uninterrupted electric service, Nissan plans to share your LEAF™ purchase decision and your street address with your local utility beginning next month. The utility will use this information strictly for service planning. Your information will not be shared, sold or used for any other purposes. If you are unwilling to share your address, simply edit your profile to decline this option before March 1, 2011.

Glenn said:
Bud, I had to assume you were making yet another snarky MNL post, but didn't see the rolling eyes emoticon and then, lo and behold, I got the same Nissan email! So is this like the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes where, if I don't sign up to buy at least one full year's subscription to some crummy magazine I really don't want, there's no chance Ed McMahon is gonna show up at my door with that check for a million bucks? I don't want PG&E prying around my circuit breakers, but I also don't want to piss Nissan off...

Glenn
I promise to mend my ways :roll:

What are your thoughts on Nissan's recent email stating they plan to share your address and LEAF purchase decision with the local electrical service provider? Yeah or nea? They are offering the opportunity to opt out.

jcesare said:
Anyone else get this email?

Haven't received it yet but the verbiage and unchecked opt-out checkbox are visible in my profile.

(BTW when checking my gmail spam for anything from Nissan to see if this was there, I did find a "Leaf news" newsletter message from January 31 that had been tagged as spam - article about gudy, etc.)

LindaK said:
What are your thoughts on Nissan's recent email stating they plan to share your address and LEAF purchase decision with the local electrical service provider? Yeah or nea? They are offering the opportunity to opt out.

Yeah, I don't really understand the reason Nissan feels it necessary to share this information with the power company. What is to be gained here by having the power company alerted? Anything to be lost?

Electrification Coalition (http://www.electrificationcoalition.org/) reported that quite a few local transformers would have to be changed to handle increased loads. I think the problem is in old neighbourhoods with very old transformers (and stable power draw with no new homes being constructed).

In a study conducted by EPRI, plugging in just
one PHEV to charge at 220 volts overloaded 36 of 53
transformers examined during peak hours and five
of 53 transformers during off-peak hours. It is, there-
fore, important to identify where GEVs are parked
and charged so that utilities can be prepared to make
the upgrades necessary to maintain reliable service.

I say stand up and be counted! Utilities should be given no excuses to say "gee... we didn't know people were buying electric cars". Proudly smack the ball squarely into their court. Providing electrical service is their primary job after all.

Be careful, checked means opt-out. unchecked is opt-in. i hope the people who are responsible with the site are not involved in designing the LEAF.

"if you are unwilling to share your address, check this box"

trentr said:
Be careful, checked means opt-out. unchecked is opt-in. i hope the people who are responsible with the site are not involved in designing the LEAF.

"if you are unwilling to share your address, check this box"

I'd be more worried about the people that took the shirt orders running the site..

Back