Nissan's 'Drive Electric' tour!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be at Anaheim, 3pm drive on Saturday, 10/9 with my better half, who'd like to see if the Leaf is comfortable for her before we order the EVSE mods to the house.

I'll be at Alt Car in Santa Monica on 10/1 as well. I'd like to do a drive that day, too. Is that greedy? I can't seem to register for both events, so they've probably put a cookie on my pc. I'll try to register with a different email from a different pc later.

mwalsh said:
johnr said:
BTW this would be a great opportunity to meet other members from this forum at the event, I wonder how we'll recognize each other....

I'll be there on the 1st too. Don't quite know how you'll be able to identify me yet, but I'll give you a heads-up closer to the date!

October 1, 10:00 AM. Thanks for the heads up!!!

The likely format for the event (based on previous experience with manufacturer "ride and drive" events):

Arrive
Register
View technology exhibit (likely including a "static" LEAF)
At your assigned "drive appointment time slot" -
Drive on a parking lot "traffic cone" defined course exhibiting some or all of the following characteristics:
  • acceleration
    braking
    maneuverability/handling
    perhaps "simulated" rough road
most likely one lap, perhaps two depending on number of attendees sharing your "drive appointment time slot"
1 lap will likely take 60-120 seconds, depending on the size of the facility & layout of the drive course

Your total drive time will be limited to accommodate everyone that registers, and as these will be pre-production LEAFs (the production ones won't be here until December), they will not be allowed on public roads as they will not be licensed.

I am not putting this info up to dampen your enthusiasm, but to be sure that your expectations are not so high that you walk away bitter and disappointed with the lack of drive time. While I will not be involved with this particular event, I have been involved with many similar events involving many different manufacturers over the years (including Nissan). I have already registered for the first time slot available when the show rolls into San Diego.

"Real" test drives should be available from your local dealer when they get their demo LEAF (starting in December). That is entirely dependent on their location. SoCal stores will get theirs first, as they are closest to the port of Long Beach, where the cars will arrive.

LEAFguy said:
Your total drive time will be limited to accommodate everyone that registers, and as these will be pre-production LEAFs (the production ones won't be here until December), they will not be allowed on public roads as they will not be licensed.

I agree with rest of your comment - except this. Afterall they have given the preproduction cars to a lot of journalists to drive around ...

evnow said:
I agree with rest of your comment - except this. Afterall they have given the preproduction cars to a lot of journalists to drive around ...

Good point! And now that I think about it, I think they can get some kind of manufacturer waiver. But, personally, I would be very surprised if they allowed these "drive event" cars off of their prescribed drive course. If anything were to happen to one, that is one less for the remainder of the event. These cars will be touring the country from October through March based on the schedule.

LEAFguy said:
But, personally, I would be very surprised if they allowed these "drive event" cars off of their prescribed drive course. If anything were to happen to one, that is one less for the remainder of the event. These cars will be touring the country from October through March based on the schedule.

Yes, this is the reason they won't allow road drives. Besides, this would take a lot of time - like getting stuck in traffic and traffic lights. I'd be happy with Oppama type drive ... for now.

LEAFguy said:
But, personally, I would be very surprised if they allowed these "drive event" cars off of their prescribed drive course.

I have a feeling you're going to be right in this case. But we'll see.

In the case of the Alt Car Expo, did anyone who went to the last one know how it went down?

Leafguy, Will they allow my wife to drive as well as me? I was able to register but they blocked my attempt to get separate time for my wife

Will be in Santa Monica to drive 10 am Oct. 1. Can't miss me....6-3, anglo, female, glasses, short grey hair! Look forward to meeting others from this forum.

stanley said:
Leafguy, Will they allow my wife to drive as well as me? I was able to register but they blocked my attempt to get separate time for my wife

Stanley, if you show up as a couple I'm pretty sure that they will let a spouse drive. You drive a lap, then she drives a lap. That is pretty common practice. Unless the line is outrageously long. But even then... I'm sure if you asked nicely, they'd let you. ;)

I signed up What it said My site was not ready For reservations so all like to do Was register my email address To be notified later

DaveinOlyWA said:
I signed up What it said My site was not ready For reservations so all like to do Was register my email address To be notified later

I think the cities are color coded on the map? One color, reservations are open. Another color, coming soon. Another color, been here and gone.

DaveinOlyWA said:

That's how I got stuck in San Diego. Hopefully they will fix this soon. I am sure I could come up with a way to register twice, though.

Gavin said:
Anybody going to the Tempe tour? Not open to register yet, but I plan to be there...

Gavin

Yep, I plan on being there. :D How will I recognize you Gavin? I'll take my hat off every so often so you can see my 'shaved' head...I look like an alien from some of those movies. :lol:

LEAFguy said:
stanley said:

Stanley, if you show up as a couple I'm pretty sure that they will let a spouse drive. You drive a lap, then she drives a lap. That is pretty common practice. Unless the line is outrageously long. But even then... I'm sure if you asked nicely, they'd let you. ;)

I just signed up for San Diego on Friday, Oct 15 @ 10am My wife says she gets to try it first; then, if they let me, I MAY be able to drive it a little. (now you see who's the boss around here, eh?) ;)

I am pretty sure that everyone knows about this by now but figured I would post it anyways. Here are the dates the leaf will be on tour in Seattle:
www.drivenissanleaf.com

tour stop dates and hours

*drive electric tour dates and hours may vary than that of the event/venue dates and hours.

* Friday, November 12: 8am-6pm
* Saturday, November 13: 8am-6pm
* Sunday, November 14: 8am-5pm

Westfield Southcenter
2800 Southcenter Seattle (Tukwila)
Seattle, WA 98188
the drive electric tour will be located in the parking lot area north of Macy's

Thank you to all our customers who have ordered with us so far. We are on pace to deliver 50+ Leafs by March 2011. With that Number, we would have reduced gas usage by 30,000+ gallons the first year year (15,000 miles/year @ 25 mpg average... even better if you use 15 mpg).

Ps: I will wait for Nissan to confirm total Volume per dealer on Monday (at least for Wa)

So everyone thinks this is our "test drive" for people who have ordered LEAFs. I'm very disappointed that it is being done as big promotional event. I thought we would be going to a dealer or other location and actually get the drive the LEAF for 10 - 15 minutes on a variety of roads. Tucson's test drive is not until December 10 - 12. Some people might have their own LEAFs by then (wishful thinking). The event where Tucson's test drive will be staged is a massive art fair we have twice a year, but the one in December is really crowded, difficult to park anywhere close, its a zoo. We go every couple years to it, mainly for the food and people-watching. Haven't bought much in years.

There is very little area there for a drive and with are so many people, sometimes 100s of thousands, it will be like driving in a small parking lot - like taking a spin around the McDonalds parking lot. I registered but I'm not impressed with this idea or event.

Back