OBDII plug partially removed.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boba

It is winter again during which my Leaf may have to remain in the garage for a number of days. In situations like this the LeafSpy OBDII can run the 12 volt battery down. It would be easiest to pull the plug out to the point where the red light goes off, but not out all the way. Is there any problem that can occur doing this?

I'd personally pull it all the way out. You never know what might be making partial or intermittent contact. You should be using a splitter or extension cable anyway as you don't want to wear out the car's port.

Why did you even think about pulling half way?

If you keep your Leaf stationary for weeks disconnect 12V battery on 2011/2012 Leaf.
And keep state of charge below 80%.

The situation does not involve planned storage but depends on weather. I can use the leaf often enough in most winters such that there is no problem keeping the 12 volt battery charged. Three years ago we had several weeks in which there was significant snow almost every day and required use the four wheel drive ICE car most of the time on the 500 foot, uphill driveway. (ended up shoveling snow over my 6'3" frame for a week or so at the end).

The OBTII plugs in on the dash near the start button using an extension. It seemed reasonable to leave it partially plugged in so it could be easily inserted fully. The second writer's comment made me rethink and resulted in total removal. Thanks for the comments. I still love Maine and especially the Leaf.

Back