Offcial Honda Fit EV Thread (lease only)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally something to chime in on that Boomer has not already covered in his excellent FEV review; :)
Boomer23 said:
TomT said:
Collision insurance is usually fairly cheap (it costs me about $165 a year on my Leaf). It is the other coverages that are expensive... Also, only 12,000 miles a year would be a deal breaker for me...

Boomer23 said:
Update: Honda confirmed no charge maintenance and collision coverage is part of the lease. They provided fine print below.

That is a good question, though, Tom. If Honda provides collision, how easy and cheap is it to get a separate policy for everything else?
The reason for Honda to include collision insurance is that it allows them to control accident repairs. The MINI E included collision insurance, the ActiveE does not, so owners get conventional policies. The problem is that one of the ActiveE’s was in an accident and the insurance company and BMW are at loggerheads about fixing the car. The insurance company wants 3 bids, and BMW won’t let anyone else touch the car. Meantime the driver is in an ICE rental, so adding Collision is sensible. I asked AAA for a comp only bid to insure the MINI E several times, and never received one. Went with Liberty Mutual as a stand alone policy which was reasonable, but offered no combined discounts.

Keijidosha, maybe you could add your driving impressions from the POV of a long time MiniE driver, as a reference point for those who have driven that car.

Take the donor Fit’s award winning best in class track record, Honda's excellent in-house FCX clarity EV drive system, and Toshiba’s SCiB 4000 cycle battery for the Fit EV. Add in 6.6kW on board charging, the highest MPGe efficiency, plus best in class 82 mile EPA range and the Honda Fit EV looks irresistible.

I have been on the hunt for my next EV since returning the MINI E in April. For me, the implementation of regenerative braking defines the EV experience. So I was very exited to get to test drive the Honda Fit EV after reading Brad Berman’s First Drive: Honda Fit EV Combines Power and Practicality review around the Twin Ring Montegi grounds north of Tokyo.

I was really hoping for regen that was “in the neighborhood of the Mini-E”. Well, it’s not, but it is better than any other available affordable EV.

You cannot one-pedal the HFEV like you could the MINI E. On the flat, maybe half of the total regen is available at full A-pedal lift off. You (mostly) have to go to the brake pedal to engage the other 50%. This, coupled with “creep”, will have you on the brakes anytime you think you will slow below ~5mph, even in “B” gear and “Sport” mode. While the MINI E would let you maintain “rush hour” spacing without touching the brake in Slow-and-Go traffic, you are going to have to hang back farther than normal in the HFEV unless you want to dance on both pedals. Still, on flat ground the HFEV has twice the A-pedal regen of the LEAF (in ECO), and stronger than the Mitsubishi i driven in “B”.

My impression is that the LEAF and HFEV both have better brake feel than the touchy Ford Focus. But after driving the LEAF for the past couple days, how that blending happens is different, and significant. Brad Berman’s interview with Kunimichi Hatano, the engineer who created Honda’s new regenerative braking system, found here; Honda Reinvents Regenerative Braking for Fit EV, detailed Honda’s strategy for blending regenerative braking.

In the MINI E, if you don’t touch the brake pedal, it’s all regen that slows you, giving the best possible efficiency. An earlier thread on the LEAF, Regen reduced when friction brakes are engaged, parsed how and when the LEAF used regen, and when it uses friction to stop. The issue being how much brake could you apply before you started adding friction braking. As it turns out, the LEAF seems to start by giving you what you ask with friction braking first, and then ramps over to regen with continued applied pressure. Busy modulation will happen with friction over a baseline of regen. As shown on the Honda slide "Benefits of new electric servo braking".

Honda also uses friction. But, it’s servo brake system applies more regen sooner. Reducing the energy lost to heat with friction braking. Brake feel is excellent because it actually measures brake force results with feedback, not just map’d behavior expectations. Quicker response being more efficient because it reduces friction braking for a ~5% net efficiency improvement.

In addition, Honda monitors when the car is headed downhill, and increases the amount of regen available to compensate. Lift throttle at speed in “Sport + B” mode on flat ground resulted in ~ 50% available regen. The same lift throttle while descending steeply downhill back to the Rose Bowl pegged the energy meter at 100% with discernibly stronger regen. The result is your net lift-throttle slowing distance on hills, and on the flat, is very similar. Like the LEAF, max regen is reduced at high %SOC values.

I have to say the Fit EV definitely has a sporty feel to it. Unlike the Ford Focus drive events, Honda set up two “Autocross” courses so drivers could really throw the HFEV around. And tossable it is, confirming Honda’s confident in their product. A Nissan LEAF was also provided for back-to-back comparison. Though the LEAF handled well, it did not inspire the level of confidence the HFEV’s nicely weighted steering feel did. The Fit EV, like the MINI E, felt agile, controllable, and predictable. No drama, just fun.

So each of the “affordable” EVs has its strengths. The LEAF is a roomy family car, the Ford Focus will appeal to drivers in harsh climates, it’s EVness invisible. The Mitsubishi i for the Keep-It-Simple-Stupid and budget EV market. And the Fit as the high utility Hot-Hatchback that is fun to drive.

Received the email this morning, about 11:46 PDT, to begin the lease application process. Another journey about to begin...hopefully.

gascant said:
Received the email this morning, about 11:46 PDT, to begin the lease application process. Another journey about to begin...hopefully.

Cool, Howard, keep us posted. You're going to be a two BEV family?

Boomer23 said:
gascant said:

Cool, Howard, keep us posted. You're going to be a two BEV family?
Yeah, that's the plan. The process didn't go too smoothly today, so I'm going to hopefully restart it next week. It seems like they have a few bugs in the on-line application process.

gascant said:
I also received an email. Wish I knew what Nissan’s plan was for the 6.6kW charger. Gotta go with the bird in the hand, so I applied, but not sure if successfully. Likewise had some issues with the site or with my browser. No confirmation of reciept, but hopefully it went through :?

firsthondafitevimg

Honda said:
Click to open

firsthondaevimg2

Honda said:
Click to open

Congratulations Matt!! Happy that you are driving electric again. Let us know how the 6 KW charger works out ;)
Also would be curious to see your impressions after a few days of owning the car.
Can't wait to see one on the road up here in NorCal.

One great little feature that I missed when we drove the Fit EV at the press event was that the key has a charging port cover release button. LEAF owners who have wished for a simple way to open the charge port from outside the car will be green with envy.

Here's a picture. The other picture is of the key fob which shows the SOC percent and can start and stop charging and climate control within 100 feet from the car without using an internet connection.

Attachments

• Fit EV fob.jpg
    Fit EV fob.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Fit EV key.jpg
    Fit EV key.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 76
Cool !

The Volt fob also has the "open charge port cover" and "remote start" buttons. It is more like a traditional fob, just with the extra buttons. I wonder what the replacement cost for the "SOC meter" fob is :shock:

gascant said:
Congratulations Matt!! Happy that you are driving electric again. Let us know how the 6 KW charger works out ;)
Also would be curious to see your impressions after a few days of owning the car.
Can't wait to see one on the road up here in NorCal.
Thanks to all for the support. It’s always fun to set off on another EV journey.

So after having the car ~20 hours, here are a few impressions.

It charges at ~7.3 kW at home on 240. Pulls 32 amps on 208 commercial power, so a 6.6kW+ on board charger. No problem with Clipper Creek, Blink, or Coulomb EVSEs. Charged from 3% to 99% in 170 minutes, then power ramps down over ~2 minutes to bounce around at ~1kw for the next ~20 minutes while balancing, then shows 100% and turns off. TED shows 19.9kWh total. No problem or de-rated charging with car at ~105°.

On the 81 mile trip to Santa Ana, all ~55 mph Freeway, I had 19 miles of range left. A 30 minute charge at Main Place Mall added 15 miles and 15% SOC. Mi/kWh meter showed 5.7miles/kWh average, including a couple short Autocross sprints during test drives in Sport mode.

Drove 184 miles today. First low battery warning is at 15%, Power reduced second warning is at 5%. Have not been below 3%.

Fan vents fresh outside air with A/C off. iPod classic works as expected. Range remaining meter seems more stable and useful. A phonebook worth of programmable options I’m still figuring out. :)

Congrats Matt on your new wheels. Do you suffer GOM anxiety or does the FIT have a better method of prediction? The true test is if your FIT EV can duplicate the BC2BC run that you participated in with Tony's LEAF.

linkim said:
Congrats Matt on your new wheels. Do you suffer GOM anxiety or does the FIT have a better method of prediction? The true test is if your FIT EV can duplicate the BC2BC run that you participated in with Tony's LEAF.
Thanks :) So far, the "GOM" seems to reflect Range very well. I was comparing SOC and range and the range would adjust for elevation climbs, as it should, but very sensibly. It seemed to agree with the Battery state of charge and terrain fairly well. I have a couple of reference drives I did with the MINI E that I want to replicate. I'll know better after that, as one has 4000 elevation change. Will probably head back up to the Bay Area at some point in the FEV, but need to explore low battery shut down sequence first, and get my portable charging equipment dialed in. Today inspired a lot of confidence in the Fit EV's instrumentation, so feel comfortable to continue to drive distance, and opportunity charge.

Back