Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPWhite said:
Valdemar said:
I'm in the process of getting a free Blink charger/TOU meter installed in LA. There is a possibility I might need to move sometime in the near future. Blink told me that I will keep the charger. Wondering if the installation costs/TOU meter at the new location will be eligible for rebates/ and or tax incentives?
Thought fixtures and fittings typically stayed with the home.
There's no hard rule. Such things can and are negotiated. Maybe when most homes have EVSEs it will become the norm to leave them behind, but for now, I would think most people would want take them along and most new owners would be unlikely to object.

davewill said:
JPWhite said:
Valdemar said:
I'm in the process of getting a free Blink charger/TOU meter installed in LA. There is a possibility I might need to move sometime in the near future. Blink told me that I will keep the charger. Wondering if the installation costs/TOU meter at the new location will be eligible for rebates/ and or tax incentives?
There's no hard rule. Such things can and are negotiated. Maybe when most homes have EVSEs it will become the norm to leave them behind, but for now, I would think most people would want take them along and most new owners would be unlikely to object.

Ecotality owns the charger until Jan 2013 under EV project agreement, so it is not even mine until that time. Also I won't be selling my home, so everything apart from the charger remains my property. My question was actually regarding rebates and/or tax incentives I use for EVSE installation - will I be able to apply once more for them under the same vehicle but new address? I'm trying to contact LADWP about their 2k credit. The Federal charge station tax credit is set to expire end of this year, so even if it is an annual thing chances are it won't be available next year.

Also related, Ecotality/Blink told me that if I move outside of EV Project boundaries I'd either have to purchase the charger ($1,495.00 + tax) or give it back to them.

JPWhite said:
Valdemar said:

Sure, but the Blink would be technically considered an "appliance".

DarkStar said:
JPWhite said:
Valdemar said:

Sure, but the Blink would be technically considered an "appliance".

As long as its stated upfront when you sell the home that it is not included, then you can take it with you. Same as with most things, appliances that are sold with the home are listed out as included with the sale. Just like window dressings :)

I tested my WiFi today with a laptop in the garage and the signal is fine. I guess its just my underpowered iDevices that have issues - laptop is fine. I'm assuming that the Blink will be fine since it has full power... but then again, it is 802.11g. Who uses g these days? Didn't spring for n?

On a different note, can someone explain why I had to get the QC port in order to be eligible for the EV Project? From what I understand, Volts are eligible and they have no such option. Just curious.

EricBayArea said:
On a different note, can someone explain why I had to get the QC port in order to be eligible for the EV Project? From what I understand, Volts are eligible and they have no such option. Just curious.
Because Blink wants to make sure there are at least SOME cars around that can use the QC stations they're contracted to install?

P.S. The WiFi in the Blink has been notoriously fickle.

davewill said:
EricBayArea said:
Because Blink wants to make sure there are at least SOME cars around that can use the QC stations they're contracted to install?

I spoke to someone at Blink Support the other day and, in passing, asked when they were going to begin installing those QC stations. He said it probably wouldn't be until the end of the year, but he didn't say which year.

EricBayArea said:
I tested my WiFi today with a laptop in the garage and the signal is fine. I guess its just my underpowered iDevices that have issues - laptop is fine. I'm assuming that the Blink will be fine since it has full power... but then again, it is 802.11g. Who uses g these days? Didn't spring for n?
I strongly suggest that when you have your Blink installed, if your wifi even so much as fails the Network Test even once, to demand the installer to provide you with the PLI option. Don't assume that since Blink is plugged in that it would have stronger wifi signal. If you had read enough posts on here, you'll find that the Blink wifi is notoriously weak. Everybody else had said that their laptop and smartphones can connect to their router from where the Blink is just fine, but the Blink's wifi is too weak to connect to their router.

My wifi tested OK when they installed it, but it failed miserably later on. So I had to go through the hassle of making them come back and install the PLI for me. Had I known about how feeble the wifi operation on the Blink is, I'd have insisted on starting out with the PLI connection in the first place.

EricBayArea said:
I thought that with the EV Project, beside getting a free Blink, you'll also get the QC port for free. If you haven't order, it'll show up as a free option when you order (you'll get the SL-e model where e denotes the free QC option. If you buy an orphan Leaf and have to pay the $700 option price for the QC port, you can ask Ecotality to reimburse you for this $700, although they're not going to reimburse you the tax you pay on it. If your orphan Leaf doesn't have this option then of course there's nothing to reimburse. But I don't think that you MUST have the QC to qualify for the EV project. It's the other way around, you must qualify for the EV project to get the free QC option.

I am aware that Nissan will refund the $700 for the QC port but I just wasn't sure why it was required in the first place. I didn't realize the EV Project was going to be installing QC charging stations - I thought it was just home and work 240v charging stations.

Also, I'll contact the electrician and request he bring along the PLI for the very reasons you all suggested.

Blink was installed today. Physically larger than I anticipated from the photos - but not a big deal. It's neat to look at and a good reminder that I don't have my car yet :(

EricBayArea said:
Blink was installed today. Physically larger than I anticipated from the photos - but not a big deal. It's neat to look at and a good reminder that I don't have my car yet :(

You're in the home stretch, Ecotality wouldn't install if the car was still months and months away. The wait is almost over :!:

EricBayArea said:
I am aware that Nissan will refund the $700 for the QC port but I just wasn't sure why it was required in the first place.
I don't think it's Nissan who will refund you the $700 for the QC option. If you order the car from Nissan and qualify for the EV Project, Nissan will include the QC option for free to you via the SL-e trim with the QC option built-in at $0 cost. If you bought an orphan Leaf from a dealer and paid the $700 for the QC option, you can apply for a $700 refund from the EV-Project (not Nissan) to offset this cost. I'm not sure why you think it's "required". It's just another perk you get for qualifying with EV Project.

EricBayArea said:
I didn't realize the EV Project was going to be installing QC charging stations - I thought it was just home and work 240v charging stations.
According to their website, they're on contract to install 400 DC QC stations.

There's a lot of misinformation above. You DO have to order the QC port (i.e. SL model + QCP) to qualify for the EV Project (although they can still reject you for other reasons, e.g. wrong zip code). Also, if you get accepted into the EV Project, that doesn't guarantee the port cost will be removed from the purchase price. You may have to pay for it up front (like me) then get reimbursed, and the reimbursement is made by Nissan, not Ecotality. You just call Nissan customer support and explain that you were accepted into the EVP and paid the $700 yourself, and they will send you a check once they get the paperwork to prove it. I know, because it happened to me and many others. I got my car June 4 and the Blink was just installed last week. I'm surprised so many people are getting quicker service.

Rat said:
There's a lot of misinformation above. You DO have to order the QC port (i.e. SL model + QCP) to qualify for the EV Project (although they can still reject you for other reasons, e.g. wrong zip code). Also, if you get accepted into the EV Project, that doesn't guarantee the port cost will be removed from the purchase price. You may have to pay for it up front (like me) then get reimbursed.
I can only speak for my situation, and in my situation, I never had to order for the QC port. I applied and qualified for the EV Project first, then after that, when I get to order my Leaf, I automatically got the SL-e trim from the Nissan order page and there was not even any QC option in there for me to select. I asked why and it was explained to me by Nissan CS that because I already qualified for the EV Project, Nissan automatically gave me the QC option built-into the SL-e trim at no cost.

I know there are plenty of people in my situation where they were able to order the SL-e trim with the free QC port already included.

In the case of Rat, I suspect that he must have ordered his Leaf first BEFORE he was qualified for the EV Project (in my situation I was qualified for the EV Project first, before I placed my order). If that's the case, he indeed could only order the SL trim (not SL-e like me), and also order the QCP option along with it, then and get reimbursed for it later (if he qualifies for EV Project after the order).

Rat said:
and the reimbursement is made by Nissan, not Ecotality. You just call Nissan customer support and explain that you were accepted into the EVP and paid the $700 yourself, and they will send you a check once they get the paperwork to prove it. I know, because it happened to me and many others. I got my car June 4 and the Blink was just installed last week. I'm surprised so many people are getting quicker service.
I do stand corrected on this one. If you read this thread, at first it seems like it wasn't clear whether Nissan or Ecotality should pay for the QC refund, but then later it was settled that Nissan should pay. I simply remembered it wrong and I apologize for the misinformation here.

My free Blink charger from the Ecotality project crashed last night and failed to charge the car. I had to cut power to the Blink and reboot it in order for it to charge. Usually when the machine malfunctions, at least it still charges. Not this time.

I was not happy to find out I only had half power this morning for my commute to work. On the way home, I had to take city streets to conserve power and arrived home with 1 1/2 bars.

If this continues to be a problem, I will be very upset. I need this to be my reliable commuter car.

SharonaLA said:
My free Blink charger from the Ecotality project crashed last night and failed to charge the car. I had to cut power to the Blink and reboot it in order for it to charge. Usually when the machine malfunctions, at least it still charges. Not this time.

I was not happy to find out I only had half power this morning for my commute to work. On the way home, I had to take city streets to conserve power and arrived home with 1 1/2 bars.

If this continues to be a problem, I will be very upset. I need this to be my reliable commuter car.

In the interim while you get the Blink issues fixed, why not have carwings send you a text message or email when the charging stops. At least you will be aware when it stops.

Will say this in favor of Ecotality, after I e-mailed them yesterday about my car not charging and having to power cycle to get a charge, they sent someone out to check out the Blink this morning.

SharonaLA said:
Will say this in favor of Ecotality, after I e-mailed them yesterday about my car not charging and having to power cycle to get a charge, they sent someone out to check out the Blink this morning.
Did they find anything?

SharonaLA said:

I've found Blink to be be both responsive and helpful when problems are reported. At least they have that side of their business running well. Hope they get your issues resolved soon.

Back