Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EricBayArea said:
My Leaf is coming in September and I am signed up for the Ecotality free charger. I just received a call from Meandal Electric out of Livermore wanting to schedule a visit and and install and was wondering...

-When they come is there anything I should know or ask them?
You should know where you want to place your EVSE in your garage exactly. You should have some idea on where you want to run the conduit from the service panel to your EVSE (up high then drop down, or down low then go up, or whatever) and clear the area where they need to run the conduit so they have accessible work space along the route. You should also already know whether there are available slots in your service panel to install the breaker or not. It's going to take 2 adjacent slots to install a 40A breaker. You should ask them about the permit/inspection process. If the wifi connection is flaky and not rock solid, you should insist on them installing the PLI devices as an alternate solution to the wifi problem. Otherwise if your wifi fails later, you'll have to go through the trouble calling them back to install the PLI like I did.

Does the PLI solution "cost" extra? My install will cost more than the allotted $1,200 because of where everything is located so I'm wondering if I also tell them to setup the PLI solution, does that then bump the cost up?

I was concerned the Blink powerline networking alternative might interfere with the powerline networking from my Enphase inverters. So I went with higher gain antennas on my wireless router instead. The Blink EVSE hasn't lost my WiFi connection since.

I have an Apple Airport and signal in the garage is sketchy. So I'm debating either using two (currently unused) Airport Expresses to repeat the signal to the garage or using the new conduit that is needed for the wiring of the EVSE and run an RJ45 cable into the house and plug it into one of the Airport expresses.

EricBayArea said:
I have an Apple Airport and signal in the garage is sketchy. So I'm debating either using two (currently unused) Airport Expresses to repeat the signal to the garage or using the new conduit that is needed for the wiring of the EVSE and run an RJ45 cable into the house and plug it into one of the Airport expresses.
Alternatively you could use a high gain antenna, such as this one, on your Airport. I suspect there are also less expensive ones available.

ENIAC said:
]Alternatively you could use a high gain antenna, such as this one, on your Airport. I suspect there are also less expensive ones available.

With wireless you have to upgrade antennas on both ends to be effective, otherwise the big antenna is one hand clapping into thin air. Both devices have to both transmit and receive, so both have to be boosted to cover any appreciable distance or interference.

I'd get another router with a decent antenna and set it up as a client to the main router which will also have an upgraded antenna. Once the two routers are talking then the Blink can simply plug into the client router using a CAT5 cable direct.

Very interesting about the external antenna. I think I'll test putting one of my Airport Expresses in the garage and the other halfway between the garage and the office (where the Airport Extreme is). That should be enough to repeat the signal and I can always plug Ethernet into the Express that's in the garage for a hard connection.

If the signal is still not enough I could spring for the antenna booster on the Extreme and then that, in conjunction with the Expresses, should be enough.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

JPWhite said:
With wireless you have to upgrade antennas on both ends to be effective, otherwise the big antenna is one hand clapping into thin air. Both devices have to both transmit and receive, so both have to be boosted to cover any appreciable distance or interference.
Not true - sure only upgrading the antenna on the access point isn't going to be perfect, but it will improve range as the larger antenna not only improves strength of the signal it broadcasts, but it also improves it's gain.

Of course - a pair of directional antennas is the way to go if you really want the best signal quality between 2 locations.

Anyway - sounds like EricBayArea is on the right path since he has an extra AP to play with.

EricBayArea said:
Does the PLI solution "cost" extra? My install will cost more than the allotted $1,200 because of where everything is located so I'm wondering if I also tell them to setup the PLI solution, does that then bump the cost up?
I didn't have to pay for the PLI devices they installed in my garage. Even when they had to come back the second time to install it, I didn't have to pay for labor for the second visit or anything like that. But they wouldn't just give it to you if your Blink wifi works OK. They have to see that your Blink wifi doesn't work out before they offer this free PLI solution.

If your wireless router has a dipole antenna, and you're a bit handy, you can construct a parabolic reflector to dramatically improve your gain (9 dBi to 12 dBi). I've experimented with this a was able to get an 80% reading next to my Blink EVSE (70 feet from my wireless router and behind four walls) when without it the signal was faint and often dropped out.

ENIAC said:
If your wireless router has a dipole antenna, and you're a bit handy, you can construct a parabolic reflector to dramatically improve your gain (9 dBi to 12 dBi). I've experimented with this a was able to get an 80% reading next to my Blink EVSE (70 feet from my wireless router and behind four walls) when without it the signal was faint and often dropped out.

Unfortunately it does not have an antenna.

Meandal Electric came out and as I expected, the $1,200 is not going to cover it. The guy who came (co owner) was very nice and I felt decent even though I will have to pay extra.

Before they came out I have convinced myself that if I decide NOT to go with the Ecotality option, I will end up paying $700 for the QC port (since I ordered an SL + QC for eligibility). Whereas if I go with the Ecotality option I get reimbursed for the $700. So in my mind, I'm out $700 regardless. Beyond that, I rounded up to $1,000 as the out-of-pocket I'm willing to spend.

Luckily the quote came in below that so I am going with the Ecotality/Blink option.

Here's the interesting part... I called Ecotality to ask them a few questions and they told me that if I approve the estimate, Meandal will let Ecotality know and then Ecotality will direct Meandal when to install the charger based on my delivery date - typically 1 week before delivery. My delivery as of today is "Month of September" and I just received a phone call from Meandal about scheduling a date for installation for next week. I called them and told them to talk to Ecotality because of what they told me, because I do not want to do anything that would make me ineligible. I told Meandal to forward me what Ecotality says and whatever they want to do, I'll move forward with that.

We'll see.

P.S. Meandal was so interested in estimating out the work that they did not even take a WiFi reading :?

EricBayArea said:
I just received a phone call from Meandal about scheduling a date for installation for next week. I called them and told them to talk to Ecotality because of what they told me, because I do not want to do anything that would make me ineligible. I told Meandal to forward me what Ecotality says and whatever they want to do, I'll move forward with that.
I don't see how having Meandal install your Blink earlier would make you ineligible. The very act of them coming out and installing it and not charging for anything but the extra means that you're already golden as soon as it's on the wall of your garage. Mine was installed about a month before my delivery date. I think the time frame is not very strict that it has to be 1 week before delivery. There's a lot of leeway on the time to get things scheduled in. There had been posters who reported that they had the Blink installed but then their Leaf delivery got delayed and they ended up waiting for several more months before they got their Leaf, and all the while the already-installed Blink sat in the garage waiting for the Leaf.

Volusiano said:
I don't see how having Meandal install your Blink earlier would make you ineligible. The very act of them coming out and installing it and not charging for anything but the extra means that you're already golden as soon as it's on the wall of your garage. Mine was installed about a month before my delivery date. I think the time frame is not very strict that it has to be 1 week before delivery. There's a lot of leeway on the time to get things scheduled in. There had been posters who reported that they had the Blink installed but then their Leaf delivery got delayed and they ended up waiting for several more months before they got their Leaf, and all the while the already-installed Blink sat in the garage waiting for the Leaf.

Hm... Good point and good to know. Unfortunately I already spoke to Meandal and put them on the path to talk to Ecotality, so I'll just wait to hear from them. No harm either way short of being more anxious pulling my ICE car into the garage every day and seeing the Blink knowing I still don't have my Leaf :)

EricBayArea said:
Hm... Good point and good to know. Unfortunately I already spoke to Meandal and put them on the path to talk to Ecotality, so I'll just wait to hear from them. No harm either way short of being more anxious pulling my ICE car into the garage every day and seeing the Blink knowing I still don't have my Leaf :)
The process has a way of stretching out. I'd get that install scheduled sooner rather than later. The very fact they called you to schedule is all the reassurance you should need.

I'm in the process of getting a free Blink charger/TOU meter installed in LA. There is a possibility I might need to move sometime in the near future. Blink told me that I will keep the charger. Wondering if the installation costs/TOU meter at the new location will be eligible for rebates/ and or tax incentives?

davewill said:
EricBayArea said:
The process has a way of stretching out. I'd get that install scheduled sooner rather than later. The very fact they called you to schedule is all the reassurance you should need.

Turns out Meandal spoke to their Ecotality rep and they said to just go for it. So it's getting installed on Monday (8/29). Now I'll get to look at it for a month every time I drive in the garage and wonder how long it'll be until the Leaf arrives :)

EricBayArea said:
Turns out Meandal spoke to their Ecotality rep and they said to just go for it. So it's getting installed on Monday (8/29). Now I'll get to look at it for a month every time I drive in the garage and wonder how long it'll be until the Leaf arrives :)
I know what you mean. I had it for a month before mine was supposed to come in, too. But then mine came in 10 days early, so I didn't have to suffer too much. Maybe yours will arrive earlier, too. It looks like they overestimate the delivery date a little bit to have some buffer and people can only get pleasantly surprised if their cars come in early.

Volusiano said:
EricBayArea said:
I know what you mean. I had it for a month before mine was supposed to come in, too. But then mine came in 10 days early, so I didn't have to suffer too much. Maybe yours will arrive earlier, too. It looks like they overestimate the delivery date a little bit to have some buffer and people can only get pleasantly surprised if their cars come in early.

Same here, car came in sooner than anticipated, glad I had it installed at the earliest opportunity.

Valdemar said:
I'm in the process of getting a free Blink charger/TOU meter installed in LA. There is a possibility I might need to move sometime in the near future. Blink told me that I will keep the charger. Wondering if the installation costs/TOU meter at the new location will be eligible for rebates/ and or tax incentives?

Thought fixtures and fittings typically stayed with the home.

Back