Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHM said:
I finally had the Blink installed through the EV project last week. It took around 5-6 weeks here in northeast TN. I had to pay ~$500 more than the $1200 allotted, but what choice did I really have? So far so good. I have no issues at all and am pleased to be able to charge the battery in a few hours as acompared to the trickle EVSE which came with the car.
Is the reason you had to pay $500 more because you had to run extra long wiring to your charging location or something? If yes, how much longer did you have to run for $500.

They only cover $1200. I have a very simple install, 5 feet from the sub-panel with available capacity, and exposed studs in the garage so no drilling. I have to pay $200. The quotes are billed out at special union/government/prevailing wages which run about $65 an hour in CA. Which also means they pay the electrician that money for the 2-4 hours waiting in line to get the permit and wait for the inspection.

I spoke with eTec about it, and they said because it was a federally funded project, this is how it had to be done. I little silly if you ask me, but $200 for a charger installed is really a great deal.

LomitaLeaf said:
They only cover $1200. I have a very simple install, 5 feet from the sub-panel with available capacity, and exposed studs in the garage so no drilling. I have to pay $200. The quotes are billed out at special union/government/prevailing wages which run about $65 an hour in CA. Which also means they pay the electrician that money for the 2-4 hours waiting in line to get the permit and wait for the inspection.

I spoke with eTec about it, and they said because it was a federally funded project, this is how it had to be done. I little silly if you ask me, but $200 for a charger installed is really a great deal.
Sounds like the installer is inflating their quotes and profiteering. The $1200 for me covered a similar install with an 18ft run, in conduit. Was never a question of the allowance not covering it. The installer even routed it up high in my garage adding 12+ feet of conduit to the quoted 18ft when all was said and done. Really sad that they don't think union scale is enough and have to gouge the government (and you!) like that.

I'm jealous of you guys who got your chargers installed before the Leaf.

I've had my Leaf for over a month now and I'm still waiting for my charger to be installed (reserved Sept 2010, eTec approved Feb 2011, ordered Leaf March 2011, Leaf received July 2nd). My install seems very straight-forward but I'm no expert.

The first installer did my assesment July 5th. Didn't hear from them for over a week so Ecotality sent out another installer on July 18th for another assesment. The bid from the second installer was $300+ over $1200. I accepted bid on July 27th and was told I'd be contacted when permit is issued. Still waiting....I'm wondering now if I should have just bought my own charger.

-Matt

Mine was a 50 ft run inside metal conduit and my subcontractor said that the $1200 they were paid is for up to a 25ft run only. At first they told me it'd be another $150-$200 to run the extra 25ft. The conduit was run up high along where the wall meets the ceiling then drops down to where the Blink is.

In the end they decided not charging me for the extra 25ft anyway. I asked and the installer said it was straightforward enough and didn't take him longer than planned for, so he decided not to charge extra. I think it also helped because I was very nice to him and made the whole area easily accessible, and didn't rush him and offered him water and stuff.

thepoloman33 said:
I'm jealous of you guys who got your chargers installed before the Leaf.

I've had my Leaf for over a month now and I'm still waiting for my charger to be installed (reserved Sept 2010, eTec approved Feb 2011, ordered Leaf March 2011, Leaf received July 2nd). My install seems very straight-forward but I'm no expert.

The first installer did my assesment July 5th. Didn't hear from them for over a week so Ecotality sent out another installer on July 18th for another assesment. The bid from the second installer was $300+ over $1200. I accepted bid on July 27th and was told I'd be contacted when permit is issued. Still waiting....I'm wondering now if I should have just bought my own charger.

-Matt
I think the value of the Blink is worth the wait and pay the extra $300 if you ask me. Don't forget that even if you bought your own charger, you still would have had to pay somebody to run a line to your charger anyway. Even if you could have found somebody to run a line for you for $200 (and that's on the cheap), that and buying your own charger will set you back more than $300 for sure.

LomitaLeaf said:

In Tennessee I got the Blink at no charge to me. Must just be expensive in CA eh?

For grins (actually I didn't realistically think it would result in a grin...) I just poked at the blinknetwork.com Map page, and saw a new entry in San Diego County - a green (live) dot for two Blnk pedestal units in Escondido at the offices of a company called Flux Power. Googling the company reveals announcements of the installation on their twitter feed and facebook page, and they are saying the units are open to the public and free.

wsbca said:
a company called Flux Power. Googling the company reveals announcements of the installation on their twitter feed and facebook page, and they are saying the units are open to the public and free.
Here's Flux Power's address:

2240 Auto Park Way Escondido, CA 92029

Their CEO Chris Anthony was co-founder of Aptera.

Not a whole lot to do around there - it's primarily an industrial park area. Not too far from Stone Brewery though - but I thought they were supposed to have their own public EVSE as well... Vic @ Vic's Deli a few blocks away is real friendly, too. Otherwise it's about a mile to some other places to eat/shop while you wait. I guess if you have the time to wait! :)

Blinkie tech told my spouse today that new firmware comes out tomorrow. I didnt get to ask any follow-up questions.

they replaced my unit cause the touch screen failed.
But it just kept on charging.

Volusiano said:
Any idea what's in L2R.1.7A?

Maybe the '502 error' fix. They did say they were working on one. Let's hope. I think it was Dave who said to just unplug it and let it reset on its own. I used to go through all the settings again because that's what it said to do on the screen. I wish Blink would have told us that we could just let it go instead of inputting all the info in again. It takes a little time, but it will go back to normal on its own.

My Leaf is coming in September and I am signed up for the Ecotality free charger. I just received a call from Meandal Electric out of Livermore wanting to schedule a visit and and install and was wondering...

-Has anyone ever heard of Meandal Electric before / has anyone had them install their charger (Bay Area, CA)?
-When they come is there anything I should know or ask them?
-Are there any reasons why I may not want this free charger if I qualify?

Thanks in advance-

EricBayArea said:
-Are there any reasons why I may not want this free charger if I qualify?

Thanks in advance-

You are agreeing to provide data to Ecotality for a period of up to 2 years and are required to let it communicate with their servers throughout this time.

Other than that the Blink charger is much more informative than the Standard Nissan charger. You can browse to it on your LAN and view the charge state, configure it and perform software upgrades etc. I'm a fan of the charger, Blinknetworks tech support is absolutely second to none, providing responses quickly 24/7/365. Also, you can't argue at the price.

Thanks for the reply. That doesn't bother me but I can see how it would to some.

About that connectivity, can it connect via WiFi or does it require a ethernet connection? I'm sure I'll find out soon enough but knowing in advance is helpful.

EricBayArea said:
Thanks for the reply. That doesn't bother me but I can see how it would to some.

About that connectivity, can it connect via WiFi or does it require a ethernet connection? I'm sure I'll find out soon enough but knowing in advance is helpful.

Both. I am using WiFi. I believe they prefer WIFi. Did they not do a home survey before qaulifying you, they will have made all those choices then?

If you have AT&T UVerse it works well with the 2Wire routers. The installer preferred that over my modified buffalo DD-WRT routers. His choice has been fine for me.

JPWhite said:
EricBayArea said:
About that connectivity, can it connect via WiFi or does it require a ethernet connection?
Both. I am using WiFi. I believe they prefer WIFi.
Actually, the Ecotality construction manager here in San Diego told me that ethernet is preferred, as 95% of the problems they have had with installations involved the WiFi connection. The new firmware being pushed out tomorrow may correct a lot of these issues, but if you read through this and other Blink threads you will find that a LOT of people had unreliable connections with their wireless networks. I hardwired mine from day one and have had no problems in 4 months now.

TT

Interesting. Wifi would be much preferred as my router is on my second floor. We'll see. In the end, as long as it charges the Leaf, I'll let them complain the wifi keeps dropping :) 

EricBayArea said:
Interesting. Wifi would be much preferred as my router is on my second floor. We'll see. In the end, as long as it charges the Lead, I'll let them complain the wifi keeps dropping :) 

I've also had my Blink for 4 months with no problems keeping it connected to our Wi-Fi router. I love being Wireless!

Ethernet connection is preferred if possible but not required if it's not possible to run an Ethernet line to the router. If wifi doesn't work for you, there's another solution to use your existing house wiring to act as a line connection. They will install the Ethernet cable from the EVSE to a PLI (Power Line Interface?) transmitter (mine is an Alfa Network Homeplug AV200m box) that plugs into an outlet nearby. Then near your router, they will plug the receiver in a nearby outlet and make the Ethernet connection between this box and your router. The signal is sent through the house wiring in both directions between the transmitter and receiver.

My Blink originally worked via wifi but not for long, so they had to come back and install the PLI for me and it's been working fine since. I didn't have to pay anything extra.

Back