Official Kia Soul EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonDawg said:
The trunk looks smaller than it really is due to the filler panel to make the trunk floor more flush with the hatch opening. Remove that panel and you have more space, though not quite as much as the Leaf's due to the presence of the fan for the battery TMS.
The problem is not the height- but the depth. It is about two feet - compared to two and half or more in Leaf.

I've to bring the strollers to be sure.

Yes the Soul is smaller behind the second seat but is bigger when all seats are folded down. It also has a more flat area when the seats are down. One thing I did not like with the Leaf was the location of the sub-woofer....right in the trunk where it could easily get damaged. It is right behind the second row of seats sitting on top of the floor. Preference for storage space will be dependent on each individual. For me, I need to get groceries behind the back seat and for larger purchases I can drop the seats. Mostly just 2 of us in the car except when we go out at night where we might have 4 but no requirement for storage at that time. I also like to golf and both will work well holding 2 sets of golf clubs with the seats down; neither can take a set up clubs layed sideways in the trunk. In my case both cars would do fine.

Freddie said:
I also like to golf and both will work well holding 2 sets of golf clubs with the seats down; neither can take a set up clubs layed sideways in the trunk.
Hmm, I have no problems fitting my clubs behind the seats as long as I remove the drivers/woods first and stick them in separately. Easier to pull the clubs than lay the seats down.

evnow said:
RonDawg said:
The trunk looks smaller than it really is due to the filler panel to make the trunk floor more flush with the hatch opening. Remove that panel and you have more space, though not quite as much as the Leaf's due to the presence of the fan for the battery TMS.
The problem is not the height- but the depth. It is about two feet - compared to two and half or more in Leaf.

I've to bring the strollers to be sure.

When you say "depth" are you talking about the distance between the closed rear hatch and the upright rear seatback? If so, the Leaf is a full foot longer than the Soul (175 inches vs. 163 per Wikipedia).

We have both a 2014 Leaf SV and a 2015 Soul + EV in our driveway, so I will try to remember to take some comparison photos of the hatch areas soon.

I find the cars to be very, very similar by objective measures. So close in terms of size, practicality, creature comforts, driving experience, etc., that the chief differentiator is the styling.

dhanson865 said:
AndyH said:
I didn't see this in the thread from December so... Fully Charged has Soul

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ-sJvBhfhA[/youtube]

that youtube URL format doesn't work for me, maybe not for anyone, not sure what browser you used to test it.

Here it is outside the [youtube] formatting

<snip>
It works fine in Chrome and IE on a Windows 7 box, as well as Chrome and the default browser on an Android tablet. What problem are you suggesting everyone is having with the tags every video posted on the forum since about 2010 uses?

tractioninc said:
I find the cars to be very, very similar by objective measures. So close in terms of size, practicality, creature comforts, driving experience, etc., that the chief differentiator is the styling.
Yes - they are very similar. I'm fairly sure Kia copied/matched Leaf in most respects.

The one major difference I see is that the Leaf does fairly poor on the front-offset crash test while the Kia Soul does much better. I don't think Nissan has updated the Leaf at all for this test, but I could be wrong.

Leaf (poor rating):
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1093577_iihs-tests-small-cars-on-small-overlap-volt-does-ok-leaf-struggles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgxpGCib0PY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Soul (good rating):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hqDSRrPM-k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tractioninc said:
We have both a 2014 Leaf SV and a 2015 Soul + EV in our driveway, so I will try to remember to take some comparison photos of the hatch areas soon.

What about range? I've put a decent number of miles on Leafs but have never owned one, though I do own a Soul. I have no problem getting a real 95-105 mile (achieved) range with no hypermiling efforts whatsoever. HVAC at a comfortable level, in the flow of traffic, etc.

My experience in Leafs tells me that the Soul has a real-world 15-20% bump in usable range in comparison. Can you shed some light on whether or not that's a realistic interpretation?

What about range? I've put a decent number of miles on Leafs but have never owned one, though I do own a Soul. I have no problem getting a real 95-105 mile (achieved) range with no hypermiling efforts whatsoever. HVAC at a comfortable level, in the flow of traffic, etc.

My experience in Leafs tells me that the Soul has a real-world 15-20% bump in usable range in comparison. Can you shed some light on whether or not that's a realistic interpretation?[/quote]I wonder what the definition of hypermiling is? I get 96 mile range on my Leaf, drive a tad slow, but wouldn't call it hypermiling. I suspect if I drove the Soul EV I would get more than 106 mile range, because of better specs.

I typically drive 65-75 MPH with the air or heat on, the seat heaters on, radio cranked, etc. Los Angeles traffic patterns force my average speeds down in off-highway segments of course, but I make no effort to increase efficiency in the Soul and still get extremely strong (95 miles+) range.

In my Volt I was always hugging the right lane just under the speed limit with the HVAC set to "fan only" to extend range.

mtndrew1 said:
What about range?
Of course range should be better (by an average of 10 miles, like the EPA says ?).

But EPA doesn't test heating - where we could see some difference (does Kia have heat pump ?).

The Kia does have a standard heat pump.

As far as the 9 mile EPA difference, the Leaf's is the result of 100% charging since the 80% option was eliminated for the 2014 model year.

The Kia still has an 80/100% charge selector so the EPA range is equivalent to a 90% charge. At 100% charge it should be 103 miles EPA, 19 miles more than the Leaf, which is nearly 23% greater range. This mirrors my personal experience in driving the Soul.

mtndrew1 said:
The Kia still has an 80/100% charge selector so the EPA range is equivalent to a 90% charge. At 100% charge it should be 103 miles EPA, 19 miles more than the Leaf, which is nearly 23% greater range. This mirrors my personal experience in driving the Soul.
I didn't realize Soul has the 80% option. That would account for stories of longer range.

How does Kia compare to MBED ?

evnow said:
How does Kia compare to MBED ?

No idea, but I'm sure Tony could chime in. The MB is very unusual in that it reports mi/kWh calculated with charging losses and has that goofy Range Package extra capacity so it's tricky to get an apples-to-apples comparison. The one I test drove was reporting 2.8 mi/kWh with a total estimated range of about 80 miles. I don't know how to contrast that with the Leaf or Soul

I'd be curious to hear if the previous poster who has both a Leaf and a Soul in the same household is seeing what I'm interpreting in range differences between the two.

Range at 62mph (100km ground speed) on dry, hard surface level road with no wind or cabin climate control with new condition battery at 70F, battery capacity is "useable" amount, not advertised amount. Ranges are at maximum available charge and EPA rating is the maximum published.

Nissan

LEAF - 4 miles per kWh (250 wattHours per mile) * 21.3kWh = 85.2 miles / EPA 84

Kia

Soul EV - 4 miles per kWh (250 wattHours per mile) * 27kWh = 108 miles / EPA 93

Except "optimal" never happens. I drive hills. To manage the car I watch my average speed. That gives me a good assessment of what I'm doing.

Today, for example I started with 95 range, I averaged 55 mph, which is high, I try to keep it at around 50. What I do is constantly calculate miles drive + miles remaining. It I average 50 the calculation remains stable. If I average more I go down to 92, like today. So on my way back today I either stick with 62-63 mph and over 40 miles I'll bring it up to the 95 combined - or not, and I come home with fewer (6-8) miles remaining on my 83-mile journey.

Heater eats up about 3-4 miles. What's nice about it is that once it heats up it stops using too much energy, so it seems it's better just keep on running it than start stop approach.

Still can't get over how tight the steering is on Sport mode. You hardly ever move the wheel. If cars were zen, this one is it.

mtndrew1 said:
I'd be curious to hear if the previous poster who has both a Leaf and a Soul in the same household is seeing what I'm interpreting in range differences between the two.

The Leaf is about 18 months old, has about 15K miles, has lost zero bars (I know, right?), and is charged to 100% every night. The Soul is two weeks old, has less than 500 miles on the clock, and charged as needed. When charged to 100%, the displayed range on the Leaf is 93-97 miles and on the Soul is 106-113 miles. Your mileage may vary (ours certainly does!)

tractioninc said:
When charged to 100%, the displayed range on the Leaf is 93-97 miles and on the Soul is 106-113 miles. Your mileage may vary (ours certainly does!)

I believe the Soul numbers and think the Leaf ones are pretty optimistic.

pkulak said:
tractioninc said:
When charged to 100%, the displayed range on the Leaf is 93-97 miles and on the Soul is 106-113 miles. Your mileage may vary (ours certainly does!)

I believe the Soul numbers and think the Leaf ones are pretty optimistic.

My Soul's GOM is always very pessimistic in comparison to what I actually achieve. I don't believe it has ever promised more range than I've actually got from a charge.

Back